Am I expecting too much from this battery

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm good with my TMO version too. Getting about 1 percent drain every 3 hours in standby. Between 2-3 hours SOT by 50 percent battery which is pretty normal by the time I get home each day.

The biggest help for me was unchecking the WiFi on while the phone is sleeping.

I also use Smart WiFi Toggler which automatically turns off your WiFi when you leave the area of a known connection.

I don't use power savings mode since the benefits are minimal when I look at the additional time I'd get on the battery screen.

Display is always on auto. I tried the Lux auto brightness app and the settings are more aggressive than Samsung so it's a lot brighter than you need.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm good with my TMO version too. Getting about 1 percent drain every 3 hours in standby. Between 2-3 hours SOT by 50 percent battery which is pretty normal by the time I get home each day.

The biggest help for me was unchecking the WiFi on while the phone is sleeping.

I also use Smart WiFi Toggler which automatically turns off your WiFi when you leave the area of a known connection.

I don't use power savings mode since the benefits are minimal when I look at the additional time I'd get on the battery screen.

Display is always on auto. I tried the Lux auto brightness app and the settings are more aggressive than Samsung so it's a lot brighter than you need.

Try Velis Auto Brightness instead:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.velis.auto.brightness&token=zCDN7Mcw

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think it's more an LP issue than Samsung, but it's amazing how much it has to be manipulated in order to get decent battery life.

If Android ever wants to attract iPhone users, they'll need to get better optimization out of the box. Not a problem for us obviously, but for the majority of users, I can see why this is an issue.

my personal problem is I shouldn't have to disable a bunch of features, that I pay a pretty penny for, in order for it to run the way it should ... and by "should" I mean getting longer than 4 hours SOT without disabling anything and not having half the stand by issues we've been having.

Posted via the Android Central App

Not to be a downer, but when I had a Nexus 6 it had amazing battery life the entire time. So not all Android is bad like that.

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The forums nexus 6 section says otherwise...very inconsistent from user to user much like the S6

I've learned the forums are generally not a good indication. People, overall, don't come here to talk about their happy good times.

I can say the same about my S6 edge, check my posts and screenshots.

How? Before I got my 5k battery, my S6 almost died nightly if I didn't charge it mid-way. And all I do is listen to podcasts for about 7 and a half hours with maybe an hour of web browsing. :\

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've learned the forums are generally not a good indication. People, overall, don't come here to talk about their happy good times.

How? Before I got my 5k battery, my S6 almost died nightly if I didn't charge it mid-way. And all I do is listen to podcasts for about 7 and a half hours with maybe an hour of web browsing. :\

Exactly.. The complaints are more prominent here for any phone. Generally people come here to get answers for issued they are experiencing. Most people having no issue don't come post here to let everyone know they love their phone.

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Exactly.. The complaints are more prominent here for any phone. Generally people come here to get answers for issued they are experiencing. Most people having no issue don't come post here to let everyone know they love their phone.

It would be nice, though, wouldn't it? It gets old sometimes, on every forum from MacRumors to Android Central, to constantly be reminded that every phone sucks in some way.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice, though, wouldn't it? It gets old sometimes, on every forum from MacRumors to Android Central, to constantly be reminded that every phone sucks in some way.
Yes it would be.. It would give a better picture for people looking for phones.

The Lollipop hate is the single reason I have been using Android Lollipop avatars the last few days. ;)

shadad07

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes you have to expect more :)

The battery of the S6 combined with the hardware manufactured technology that been used by Samsung on the phone should've enhance the results.

frankly i was not happy with my S6 performance but as soon i found this article here and some of you complaining about 16 hrs i think i have to stop nagging now since my phone lasted over than 1 day and can do more. i was looking forward to 2 or 3 working days..silly me :p

too bad, as you can see below. FaceBook and Google services are consuming more power than anything despite the fact that i use whatsapp here more than anything else. i already disabled the Facebook app today and i hope Google fixed the damn thing with the Google Services so am sure after that i will get a better result.

here is my result and sorry about my weak English.
Screenshot_2015-06-03-23-19-53.jpg

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Nice for you, but not nice for members like myself...
Who have been called liars and fanbois, and insist that we post screen shots or gtfo. I've even had a blogger from this site challenge my thoughts and ask for a screen shot as proof of my results. Only now that the G4 is out and having similar issues are people realizing that it's lollipop and not Samsung's fault, regardless that the nexus 6 and m9 have the same issues with some users.

I've stood my ground, and preached from the highest rafters, and been denounced by many here. Others have had the same results when speaking about their S6 on this forum. And plenty of regulars here in just this thread have said repeatedly that Samsung needs to fix this, only now changing their minds once they have seen the results of the G4.

This is a fantastic site to come for help. The staff is absolutely the best. But it's never easy to explain to people that just because Samsung used a smaller battery doesn't mean that you are going to get poor battery life, especially when it's promoted on this web site that the S6 has horrible battery life.

There are definitely some bad phones out there. There are also some carrier software related to bad battery life. But like I always say, if the phone don't work for you, try a new one. And if that too fails, then sadly the phone is not right for you and you should try something else.

I've been using Android for quite a while. I feel that lollipop was rushed to complete with Apple in the 64 bit software side of things. I also feel that people expect that every thing should work with all the settings turned on full blast, when in the past we always turned off a few things to save battery life as well as many things were never even on our old phones that are on today's phones. It's a crazy combo that was always just waiting to be a disaster.

Again people like myself have stood our ground and got serious beef from the community both here in the forums and on the front page. I don't remember people thanking us for our time or honesty, but that is not why I'm here. Personally, I'm here for people like myself who just want to learn and share my experiences. And this is defiantly the best place online to do so.

With all that said, I want to thank the staff, the mods (who never get enough recognition), and the community of volunteers, as well as us ordinary folk who take the time to make this place special. Much love to you all.

Here is some screen shots of my latest usage that is without any AAA gaming.
(This is not out of the box settings, but slightly tweaked) enjoy

Attachments

• 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 75

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Nice for you, but not nice for members like myself...
Who have been called liars and fanbois, and insist that we post screen shots or gtfo. I've even had a blogger from this site challenge my thoughts and ask for a screen shot as proof of my results. Only now that the G4 is out and having similar issues are people realizing that it's lollipop and not Samsung's fault, regardless that the nexus 6 and m9 have the same issues with some users.

I've stood my ground, and preached from the highest rafters, and been denounced by many here. Others have had the same results when speaking about their S6 on this forum. And plenty of regulars here in just this thread have said repeatedly that Samsung needs to fix this, only now changing their minds once they have seen the results of the G4.

This is a fantastic site to come for help. The staff is absolutely the best. But it's never easy to explain to people that just because Samsung used a smaller battery doesn't mean that you are going to get poor battery life, especially when it's promoted on this web site that the S6 has horrible battery life.

There are definitely some bad phones out there. There are also some carrier software related to bad battery life. But like I always say, if the phone don't work for you, try a new one. And if that too fails, then sadly the phone is not right for you and you should try something else.

I've been using Android for quite a while. I feel that lollipop was rushed to complete with Apple in the 64 bit software side of things. I also feel that people expect that every thing should work with all the settings turned on full blast, when in the past we always turned off a few things to save battery life as well as many things were never even on our old phones that are on today's phones. It's a crazy combo that was always just waiting to be a disaster.

Again people like myself have stood our ground and got serious beef from the community both here in the forums and on the front page. I don't remember people thanking us for our time or honesty, but that is not why I'm here. Personally, I'm here for people like myself who just want to learn and share my experiences. And this is defiantly the best place online to do so.

With all that said, I want to thank the staff, the mods (who never get enough recognition), and the community of volunteers, as well as us ordinary folk who take the time to make this place special. Much love to you all.

Here is some screen shots of my latest usage that is without any AAA gaming.
(This is not out of the box settings, but slightly tweaked) enjoy

+1. I couldn't have said it better. We are all a bit passionate about our devices and our carriers as well as certain features we hold sacrosanct. Now that the G4 is out, we can have a more rational discussion going forward. One day we will all look back and laugh.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site

Some of us don't have that option. When I was experiencing nightmarish battery life on 3g after only two weeks of having the phone I wanted to change to the note 4 and was told by my company that I had signed up to my contract with the s6 and was therefore unable to change devices

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Some of us don't have that option. When I was experiencing nightmarish battery life on 3g after only two weeks of having the phone I wanted to change to the note 4 and was told by my company that I had signed up to my contract with the s6 and was therefore unable to change devices

We all have options, even you. You might not like what options you have, such as ETF, but you do have options. What carrier or provider do you have? What County do you live in? For most, including you, there are options. Choosing not to utilize such options doesn't count.

Also, glad to hear that your battery life is far better when using LTE service. Don't expect most phones to do well on 3g as the newer phones are not optimized for such use.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
We all have options, even you. You might not like what options you have, such as ETF, but you do have options. What carrier or provider do you have? What County do you live in? For most, including you, there are options. Choosing not to utilize such options doesn't count.

Also, glad to hear that your battery life is far better when using LTE service. Don't expect most phones to do well on 3g as the newer phones are not optimized for such use.

I am in Australia and my phone company is telstra. I had to go with telstra because of the fact that I live outside Sydney and maintenance work was going on with my previous company that they said could take months so I had to leave.

When I was experiencing atrocious battery life of full battery drain of five hours from 100-0 I told telstra I wanted to change phones to the note4 as the battery life was atrocious. They told me this was not possible as I had signed up to the contract with the s6 and the only way I could change devices was if I paid out the full two years of my contract to sign a new one.

It didn't make sense to me why battery life is so much better on 4g than 3g. I would have thought seeing 4g was so much faster it would have used more power

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I am in Australia and my phone company is telstra. I had to go with telstra because of the fact that I live outside Sydney and maintenance work was going on with my previous company that they said could take months so I had to leave.

When I was experiencing atrocious battery life of full battery drain of five hours from 100-0 I told telstra I wanted to change phones to the note4 as the battery life was atrocious. They told me this was not possible as I had signed up to the contract with the s6 and the only way I could change devices was if I paid out the full two years of my contract to sign a new one.

It didn't make sense to me why battery life is so much better on 4g than 3g. I would have thought seeing 4g was so much faster it would have used more power

Telstra is the one carrier that I know the least about so it's going to be hard to give you advice. But I did do a quick search and found that you do or should have some options... At least from the beginning.

Depending on your plan, you might have something called StayConnected Plus.
Telstra states that "If something goes wrong you can swap your phone for a fee twice a year". Do you have such a plan that has this feature?

If not, are you sure that you can't return your phone within a standard time frame, even if you might have to pay a restocking fee?

Buying out your contract may seem extreme, but again, it is an option. Maybe not one that you want to do, but it is an option. Then you can sell the phone as slightly used or in almost new in box to recoup most of your costs.

I wish that I could help more but the website that Telstra has is confusing and lacks a tremendous amount of needed information. It's why I know very little to almost nothing of their plans.

As for 4g vs 3g, yeah you would think that. But the reality is that most phones today are not truly optimized on anything else but 4g service. And sometimes I question even that.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Telstra is the one carrier that I know the least about so it's going to be hard to give you advice. But I did do a quick search and found that you do or should have some options... At least from the beginning.

Depending on your plan, you might have something called StayConnected Plus.
Telstra states that "If something goes wrong you can swap your phone for a fee twice a year". Do you have such a plan that has this feature?

If not, are you sure that you can't return your phone within a standard time frame, even if you might have to pay a restocking fee?

Buying out your contract may seem extreme, but again, it is an option. Maybe not one that you want to do, but it is an option. Then you can sell the phone as slightly used or in almost new in box to recoup most of your costs.

I wish that I could help more but the website that Telstra has is confusing and lacks a tremendous amount of needed information. It's why I know very little to almost nothing of their plans.

As for 4g vs 3g, yeah you would think that. But the reality is that most phones today are not truly optimized on anything else but 4g service. And sometimes I question even that.

If my phone stays like this and the improved battery life on 4g isn't a fluke I no longer want to change my phone. I got almost 7 hours of screen on time today with 19 total hours off the charger

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
If my phone stays like this and the improved battery life on 4g isn't a fluke I no longer want to change my phone. I got almost 7 hours of screen on time today with 19 total hours off the charger

Nice to hear such a wonderful improvement. I wish you luck with your new device.

Posted via the zenfone 2

adnanrider

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Do you think this is normal?
I bought note 4(nm-910c) 4 days back.
Should I take it back for faulty battery?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-08-18-00-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-08-18-00-24.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 52

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta