07-18-2015 01:32 AM
62 123
tools
    Shouldn't it be better than this I have WiFi and Bluetooth on and auto brightness on. I don't want to shut down everything on my phone to get decent battery life and I don't think I should have too. Is that asking to much?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Am I expecting too much from this battery-105.jpg   Am I expecting too much from this battery-106.jpg  
    06-04-2015 09:14 PM
    Edit: attachment showing now. That doesn't let look right at all. Can you post a screenshot of the top apps using battery? 4-5 hours SOT seems to be the normal.

LOLWOWJason likes this.
    06-04-2015 09:21 PM
    Less than 6 hours of use, and not quite 2 hours of screen on time is not good. How long have you had the phone?
    06-04-2015 09:24 PM
    Have you made any adjustments to try to improve battery life?

This thread has a lot of great tips to help.
    LOLWOWJason likes this.
    06-04-2015 09:33 PM
    That's not good at all. This is me with light use...

We need to know how long you've had the phone to know if you can return it.

Attached Thumbnails Am I expecting too much from this battery-97.jpg   Am I expecting too much from this battery-98.jpg  
    06-04-2015 09:33 PM
    I have charged back up now but highest was screen at 8 percent. And this is my 7th day with the phone. And I saw all the battery tips but I don't want to turn my phone into a feature phone. I want a high end smart phone to be able to use it's features.

06-05-2015 12:13 AM
    I have charged back up now but highest was screen at 8 percent. And this is my 7th day with the phone. And I saw all the battery tips but I don't want to turn my phone into a feature phone. I want a high end smart phone to be able to use it's features.

Please post the screenshot that shows what apps are using the most battery as I asked earlier. There are a few known bugs and this helps us diagnose what exactly is causing you trouble.

06-05-2015 12:25 AM

Following the tips in the thread I cited will not turn your phone into a feature phone.

Yes, it's unfortunate that Samsung didn't make the required adjustments the defaults, but there are a lot of things that you can do to improve your battery life that you won't even notice, except that your battery life is much better.

If you'd rather complain than even try the tips I'm not sure what to say.
    erasat and neiljay6 like this.
    06-05-2015 01:00 AM
    I can't really show you cause I'm at 100 percent is what I'm saying and I just don't think you should have to follow tips. Most people who buy this phone won't be like us and go to these sites and do all this. Just feel out of the box the battery should be better. .....here is stats but does show anything at the moment

Attached Thumbnails Am I expecting too much from this battery-108.jpg  
    06-05-2015 01:14 AM
    I can't really show you cause I'm at 100 percent is what I'm saying and I just don't think you should have to follow tips. Most people who buy this phone won't be like us and go to these sites and do all this. Just feel out of the box the battery should be better. .....here is stats but does show anything at the moment

Definitely something wrong with u phone, should be around 17H left with fully charged and not 10H as it displayed. Install GSAM battery and check on Apps when battery is down to 5-10% and see what apps is draining battery.
    Known battery sucker:
    AT&T VoLTE - Disable it.
    Google Now - can drain battery fast with Any screen Enabled. Also Google positions history, if not using it and disable it.
    Phonejock likes this.
    06-05-2015 01:52 AM
    Ok thanks I will

06-05-2015 02:05 AM

Well, I agree with you, it shouldn't have to be done. But if making a few adjustments can markedly improve your battery life isn't that better than going through the hastlle of returning a phone? Especially since the replacement phone may need the same adjustments?

I agree, Samsung or the various carriers could have made these adjustments for us, and they should have. But as a troubleshooting step, before you return your phone, why don't you at least read the thread I cited and try a few of the tips?

And it very well may be that your phone is in fact defective, but at least this way you'll be certain. And you might be pleasantly surprised. Personally, I'm getting 20+ hours per charge, and I don't notice any diminishing of my S6's capabilities.

What have you got to lose?
    Phonejock and erasat like this.
    06-05-2015 02:11 AM

Every phone has the occasional software version that ends up needing tweaked to get normal battery life. There are known issues and we are just trying to help you identify if its related to these or a bad battery. You are right that most people wouldn't make it here to ask. However, some troubleshooting now that you're here will save you the headache of exchanging and having to set your phone up again just to have the same issue (if its a known bug causing your battery drain).

06-05-2015 03:00 AM
    06-05-2015 05:54 AM
    Shouldn't it be better than this I have WiFi and Bluetooth on and auto brightness on. I don't want to shut down everything on my phone to get decent battery life and I don't think I should have too. Is that asking to much?

yes you're asking too much. the battery life on this thing is garbage. i'll be switching phones around christmas time. the 'tips' you will receive will basically just be saying to turn things off (case in point, you're told to turn off voLTE and google now in this thread already). next someone will say to turn off all your weather widgets because they somehow drain too much battery too.
    gaddang2 likes this.
    06-05-2015 07:22 AM
    yes you're asking too much. the battery life on this thing is garbage. i'll be switching phones around christmas time. the 'tips' you will receive will basically just be saying to turn things off (case in point, you're told to turn off voLTE and google now in this thread already). next someone will say to turn off all your weather widgets because they somehow drain too much battery too.
    The S6 is an awesome phone...battery life, not so much. I agree that the battery saving tips are generally ridiculous on such an expensive phone but there are plenty of people who are ok with it since they don't use the features and feel they aren't missing anything. For me, I miss nearly all of the features I've had to disable on my edge to make it even half workable (from a battery standpoint) for me.

I don't have to turn off VoLTE on my iPhone 6 Plus, disable WiFi calling, run without any widgets, turn off Location Services, stop using key Google features, etc. to get good battery life. It just works brilliantly out of the box and with a battery not that much bigger than the S6 (only 320mAh bigger).

That said, I think the OP has something even deeper going on with his phone. His battery life is far worse than even mine before I shut off most of the S6's features. I am seeing 12-14 hours of life with 2.5-3.5 SoT on my S6 (but admittedly that's with shutting off most of what make the S6 great).

OP should definitely perform the dreaded Factory Reset and start clean. I think you'll pick up quite a bit of battery life, but yes, you are expecting too much if you think the S6 is going to be a great battery performer unless you are willing to go pretty extreme.
    gaddang2 likes this.
    06-05-2015 08:06 AM
    I can also add my input and say what you're experiencing is not normal, with 2 hrs Onscreen time and very little features turned off im have around 50% remaining...and thats after at least 18-20 hours off charge.
    BioFanatic likes this.
    06-05-2015 08:20 AM
    I can also add my input and say what you're experiencing is not normal, with 2 hrs Onscreen time and very little features turned off im have around 50% remaining...and thats after at least 18-20 hours off charge.
    As long as the GS6 gets you through the day, what is so bad about that? You sleep at night. If you need an alarm clock, get one with docking port and charge while you sleep.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    06-05-2015 09:16 AM
    Yes, probably expecting too much, but I don't think everyone has the same experience, personally I haven't crippled my phone and think the battery is adequate. I'm not dismissing your frustration, I would be frustrated too, I just think his problem is abnormal even if we all agree the battery is garbage. I think in this case the phone should be returned for a new one and hopefully his results will be better.
    06-05-2015 09:17 AM
    OK for the life of me can somebody explain to me how turning off NFC and bluetooth when not needed is crippling the phone?

I can understand that if you need to go deep in your settings and do 10 steps to turn them on and off, then it's a pain, but having those 2 and others settings at your finger tips with the Quick toggles, how is this a problem? Why leave those services on all the time wasting resources if you are not using them?

I've never said turn features you used off, I've always said that if you are like me that I don't even remember the last time I used NFC and I just use Bluetooth when in my car and when I have my Android wear (basically both at the same time), then turn them off and just turn them on when need them, I'm used to just turn the bluetooth on with a simple click on the toggle as soon as I put my watch on my wrist, there, it doesn't bother me a bit.

But I'll give you a summary of what I clearly explained with details in my thread cited above:

1-) Wifi Calling - Don't need it, only turn it on if I'm in an area with no cell service and have access to wifi, why leaving on otherwise? Advised to turn it off because for some it was the cause of the Cell standby drain issue. (Waiting for a Software update fix)
    2-) VoLTE - Where I live there's no such service available and also for some it was the cause of the drain issue. (Waiting for a Software update fix)
    3-) Smart Network - Don't need the device to select for me where to connect.
    4-) Scanning Always Available - More of the same than the above
    5-) Remove Bloatware - Doesn't need to explain this.
    6-) Turn Off Google and Samsung services - Don't need to sync, Google Play Music, newstand and others, just need Gmail, Calendar, photos uploads and Apps, the rest are totally unnecessary and proven to drain your battery as they are constantly syncing. Don't use and will never use any of the Samsung garbage.
    7-) Brightness - Like I explained in the thread, brightness is the number one battery drainer, but is highly subjective, in my case it hurts my eyes when it's too bright, so 20% of brightness is more than enough for me for 80% of the time, as I'm under roof at home or my office, as soon as I'm outside I drop the Notification bar and hit Auto, that's it, no more, no less and I'm covered all the way around.

Google Location History has been verified as one of the most battery offender, simply because Google incorporated their Google Reporting into the Google Location settings, so now if you want Google Location services for Google Now and others, there's no way to prevent their reporting service to be pinging your location ALL THE TIME. This one is totally a Google issue, not Samsung or any other manufacturer, and turning it on will definitely hit your battery life, if you want to be able to use location but don't need Google Location then you can still save some battery (like I do) by turning GPS only or if you use any of the other 2 options, go to Location history settings and turn it off.

The best Android phone for battery life right now is still the Sony Xperia Z3, it's simply amazing, but the area where it shines the most is on Standby, as Sony has managed to stop a lot of services and apps that are constantly pinging and using resources, why Samsung can't do the same? I don't know and I hope they finally work on that, but again, is not just Samsung is most of the companies right now, my phones for the past year has drained about the same on Standby, between 5-6% on an 8 hours sleep night, my Z3 just 2-3%, but besides the battery size difference where the Z3 has a 3100 mAh battery and S6 edge has 2600 mAh (a huge difference) if I left every single feature on and all the default apps syncing on my Z3, it also drained a lot faster the battery than with the same tweaks I mentioned above, the same tweaks I always do in ALL my phones.

If in your case any or all of the above are needed then leave them on as default, but you know that the battery will suffer more because of it, that's the way it is, if you were expecting more than 4-5 SoT hours of a 2550-2600 battery on a Quad HD Phone with everything on by default and not doing any tweaks, sorry, but you were misinformed or confused at the time of your purchase ( If there are people with no tweaks done, everything on by default, brightness all the way up and get over 4-5 SoT then they are the exception not the rule). People with tweaks done and turning off features they need and still having mediocre battery life then that's not normal and the only way is try with a factory reset and/or if you still can, get a replacement, it won't get better until maybe a Software update and even then, nothing is for sure.
    nelamvr6, jcp007 and alexander0003 like this.
    06-05-2015 10:07 AM
    Definitely something wrong with u phone, should be around 17H left with fully charged and not 10H as it displayed. Install GSAM battery and check on Apps when battery is down to 5-10% and see what apps is draining battery.
    Known battery sucker:
    AT&T VoLTE - Disable it.
    Google Now - can drain battery fast with Any screen Enabled. Also Google positions history, if not using it and disable it.
    Fully charged mine usually shows about 29 hours.

06-05-2015 10:25 AM
    I'm getting 4 hours SOT on a Sprint S6 with these tweaks ONLY not sacrificing many features:

-Mobile Network mode is LTE/CDMA instead of Auto but unsure if this helps anything atm
    -No always scanning for wifi(have to check this setting's default it's something that auto-enables it), smart network swtich or passpoint enabled
    -Emails sync every 2 hours(no Gmail sync I use Type Mail)
    -Location set to Mobile/Wifi(check this setting after using Map/Navigation programs which enable's High Accuracy some times)
    -No "Ok Google" hotword detection at all but that's just a preference not a battery tweak so someone else can speak to that
    -I only use Auto-brightness outdoors
    erasat likes this.
    06-05-2015 11:04 AM
    Known battery sucker:
    AT&T VoLTE - Disable it.
    Where can I disable Google Now? I am not sure where to look?

06-05-2015 01:25 PM
    Where can I disable Google Now? I am not sure where to look?

Just turn off history in location and your battery drain will be fixed as Google now won't save or ask for information every 5 mins of the day.

Posted via the zenfone 2
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    06-05-2015 02:24 PM
    Just turn off history in location and your battery drain will be fixed as Google now won't save or ask for information every 5 mins of the day.

Posted via the zenfone 2
    Funny thing is that apparently the Google Play Service version is very different between devices, until all the devices have the same version is not fair for the one with the latest version (S6 and S6 edge) to be compared to other with an older version.

Just got myself an LG G4 brown leather (T-Mobile) it looks gorgeous with that leather cover, not as huge as I thought, so taking advantage of the Free 128 GB SD card from T-Mobile and LG's Free additional battery, Charger and a 32GB SD Card promotions, I decided to get one.

I will definitely comment later on the battery as right now I'm just setting everything's up, (and yes, I'm doing the same tweaks that I always do and don't bother me because I don't need them or use them) but the first thing I've noticed is that this version has both Location History and Reporting, so I could easily turn off Location reporting and left Location History on, kept my GPS only Location on and that by itself will get me a lot better battery life than if I do the same on the S6 because of the Reporting settings now incorporated into the Location History.

Again, I'll post my findings about it, together with the Alcatel Idol 3 (yes, I'm a pone addict) that was supposed to arrive today but it seems it should be here tomorrow, I'll be doing the same with all of them and will let you all know.
    06-05-2015 03:14 PM
62 123