I can recall seeing a video comparing the time taken for the S6 to unlock when using fingerprint scanner vs the iPhone. In that video the iPhone was marginally quicker.

I noticed something by accident earlier, instead of keeping your finger/thumb on the homekey until the device unlocks, I tapped the homekey for literally half a second and the device unlocked! I tried the same method with my fiancée's iPhone and it didn't work, looks like this sensor is really sensitive.

Not that this is going to save anyone much time, but thought it was interesting, and didn't know if anyone else had noticed this?

Posted via the Android Central App
    mari dub likes this.
    06-05-2015 12:44 AM
    I'm not sure what you mean here? I've always pushed/released the home button and then held my finger in place until it unlocked. Takes about a second

06-05-2015 12:48 AM
    Have read about it and its software bug. Re register fingerprint, if still dont work and factory reset the phone is only way.
    06-05-2015 01:57 AM
    I don't have an issue with my home button/fingerprint scanner. What I mean is that normally I hold my thumb on home button till it unlocks (takes about a second) I've noticed that I can TAP my thumb on the home button and it unlocks - in other words the sensor can read the fingerprint a lot faster than what I thought it could. Just thought it was interesting

06-05-2015 02:23 AM
    I don't have an issue with my home button/fingerprint scanner. What I mean is that normally I hold my thumb on home button till it unlocks (takes about a second) I've noticed that I can TAP my thumb on the home button and it unlocks - in other words the sensor can read the fingerprint a lot faster than what I thought it could. Just thought it was interesting

Ah I understand now. Almost sounds like a bug and its not reading at all. I can't recreate on mine.

06-05-2015 02:53 AM
    Definitely not a bug, I've tried it with my other fingers (that aren't registered) and it doesn't unlock, just means that the sensor is really sensitive/quick at reading the prints

06-05-2015 07:25 AM

Yes, this sensor is great and I welcomed that nice surprise. I think it almost works better when you don't smash your print against the scanner. Instead , simply touch the home button and raise the finger and it'll unlock instantly.This trick works with my thumb and index finger.
    06-05-2015 08:48 AM
    You are correct Deeb. It does work better with the quick tap and release.
    deeb215 likes this.
    06-06-2015 10:18 AM
    ChrisT,
    I have to give you a big thanks for this trick! I have been getting locked out of my phone about 3 times a day. Since I have used your tapping technique, I have gotten in every time! Thanks again.
    06-06-2015 09:48 PM
    You're welcome Mistyisland, I'm surprised Samsung hasn't pointed this out - they made a point out of how quick the camera loads up, this is equally good selling point

06-07-2015 01:26 AM
    I can recall seeing a video comparing the time taken for the S6 to unlock when using fingerprint scanner vs the iPhone. In that video the iPhone was marginally quicker.

I noticed something by accident earlier, instead of keeping your finger/thumb on the homekey until the device unlocks, I tapped the homekey for literally half a second and the device unlocked! I tried the same method with my fiancée's iPhone and it didn't work, looks like this sensor is really sensitive.

Not that this is going to save anyone much time, but thought it was interesting, and didn't know if anyone else had noticed this?

Yup I always unlock my phone like this
    I just tap the home button and it unlocks quickly
    I actually like this and don't see it as a bug
    I think the fingerprint scanner reads your finger as soon as you put your finger on the home button, and thats why it unlocks, I doubt it will break any security
    06-07-2015 01:40 AM
    Well give it a try with any finger, even unregistered ones. It still works. I don't even have to cover the entire sensor. Major security compromise i think.
    07-31-2015 06:50 AM

That's right, I've noticed since I first set the phone up back in April.

Sent From my Gold Platinum Galaxy S6 Edge
    07-31-2015 07:54 AM
    Well give it a try with any finger, even unregistered ones. It still works. I don't even have to cover the entire sensor. Major security compromise i think.
    Mine will not open with other finger, I've tried all my unregistered fingers, my wife, daughter and son tried too. Nothing!

Maybe certain phones have a bug?
    Maybe a faulty piece of hardware?

Sent From my Gold Platinum Galaxy S6 Edge
    07-31-2015 07:58 AM
    Sorry, what? Are you saying that the phone unlocks even with fingers that have never been registered?

Imma call BS on this one ...
    07-31-2015 08:16 AM