Notifications not working when Screen is sleeping ?

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I have notification sounds turned on for various APPS (e.g., email, FB). When the screen is off, it seems like more often than not I don't receive an alert when I receive emails/FB updates. Only when I wake the screen up & swipe my fingerprint that "location" shows up & I suddenly get my alert notification sound that I have email. Kind of useless since I have to open up my device to see if I have any notifications.

Anyone else seeing this? or know of a fix for this? I honestly think this has SOMETHING to do with Location services, but not sure.

Thanks in advance.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
This happens with me also. I figured out that it only happens when WIFI is on. When wifi is off notifications do show up while screen is off. Also this does not happen with all wifi locations. In my home it works fine. But, for example, when I am somewhere else and on another wifi network notifications fail to show up while screen is off. So I would conclude that it has something to do with the wifi network you are on. Try disabling wifi and let me know if your notifications start appearing in sleep mode.

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
So I just tested this .... and you're right -- when WiFi is ON, I no longer seem to get notifications. It behaves like it doesn't even CHECK or acknowledge email(s) coming thru when it's in Sleep mode. With WiFi turned OFF, I get those notifications instantaneously. A "bug" now doubt.

Thanks

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I also experienced that on my old galaxy s4 running kitkat. So I think it is an issue with a specific wifi frequency. Still, google or Samsung should be able to fix it given that this has been going on for quite some time.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Just in case. Check in the WiFi advanced settings that you have "always" selected for the WiFi while sleep option.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That's a funny bug. There are some reports of S6 having some problems with WiFi. They are not exactly the same as yours but you could try some of the fixes. Check your power saving options in the settings. Also, some carriers have a feature called Smart WiFi and some people fixed their problem after disabling it. Another cause for WiFi problems was the Smart network switch.

gsheremeta

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Happens to me too. Definitely a widespread issue. I'm stock on AT&T, 5.0.2 I have a black 64. Anyone here use a wireless charger? I typically let my phone sit in a wireless dock at my computer.

Lots of threads out there about this. I posted one on reddit (/r/galaxys6) before finding this one. One of the xda threads has a Samsung case number in there. Please call Samsung, because I don't think they know how widespread this issue is!

Who can we ask to make this sticky, because it's widespread but has no awareness.

Last edited by a moderator:

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I exchanged 2 Verizon S6's over this problem and finally got one that works.

One of the first things you can do to help the problem is uninstall Facebook and never look back. Facebook is one of the worst apps that will screw up notifications on the S6 every time. :p Just what I think.

gsheremeta

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
One of the first things you can do to help the problem is uninstall Facebook and never look back. Facebook is one of the worst apps that will screw up notifications on the S6 every time. :p Just what I think.

Yeah, but my wife's S6 is working fine with Facebook. This appears to be an OS issue.

And you're the first person I've heard about with it on Verizon. Everyone else suffering from this is on AT&T.

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
FYI, I was experiencing this immediately after getting the phone (S6). While FB was pre-installed, I had yet to set it up - and was getting this issue (no EMAIL notifications when screen is off). On VERIZON btw.

and to be clear, it's only the EMAIL notifications that are now coming thru ... Notifications for Timers, Text msgs, Calendar, etc are all working fine .... It's just EMAIL msgs (on several email accounts - not just 1).

gsheremeta

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
and to be clear, it's only the EMAIL notifications that are now coming thru ... Notifications for Timers, Text msgs, Calendar, etc are all working fine .... It's just EMAIL msgs (on several email accounts - not just 1).

Because those are the ones using push (GCM). Texts are SMS and not related to GCM. Calendar notifications are cached locally.

If you have Google Hangouts, you'll see that those notifications are also affected by this bug. My wife and I use that for text, so if I'm the store and she needs something extra, sorry honey!

bharath1001

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I have an S5 and an S6 and they both are AT&T and they both have the same issue. No notifications from any apps when the screen is off. Facebook, whatsapp,hangout... With powersaving mode on and off. Checked the advanced WiFi settings and it says always. But with WiFi turned off it sems to work.

tracker2208

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a Sprint S4 that only did this on certain routers. I found 2 solutions. 1st is turn Wifi off while sleeping, but that is not ideal. The second is, if you have a rooted phone, installing "[ROOT] Disable IPv6" from the app store. Now works perfectly.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
This is relatively new behavior on my galaxy s6. I'd say it was during a recent fb.messenger update, but that seems to update nearly daily as of late. I believe this also affects google hangouts. For example, I had a facebook messenger message instantly notify early this morning, but during the afternoon, messages did not notify, until I woke the phone up.

I'll mention that it seems to happen regardless of whether i'm no cellular data or wifi. wifi settings / advanced, during sleep is "always on".

BaasFrancois

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I had the same problem with my samsung S6, after 10 mins of an off screen my notifications stopped coming through. I then went to settings - data usage and set all the apps to not have a data restriction, especialy the samsung push service, rebooted my phone and then i always received notifications didnt mater how long my screen was off for. Hope this will help some people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar