Notifications not working when Screen is sleeping ?

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue, where whatsapp stopped receiving messages and whatsapp web couldn't communicate when the phone had slept for a certain number of minutes, and the only way to get it working again was to wake up the phone (and/or open whatsapp).

The solution I found was to go into Settings -> Battery -> Power Saving / Ultra Power Saving. Either disable it completely, or disable it only for Whatsapp. After looking through the list of apps that were "being power-saved" I decided to disable the whole thing. I never currently reach a low battery status in my daily usage so I doubt it's an issue. If it's an issue for you, maybe you'll want to selectively disable it per app.

kevinf28

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
i just solved the problem. there is a setting under lock screen "automatically lock after sleep". set to "immediately". i had mine as 5 minutes so i wouldn't have to keep unlocking phone.. until the lock screen app takes focus, hangouts thinks it's still open, even though the screen is off. that's why there is no notification

Last edited:

frankopstaele

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi TIM,

I got the same problem... But your solution baffles me.. How can you get notifications that rely on an internet connection when your WIFI is turned off ??

Cryptovine

May 29, 2018
Visit site
I had this issue, where whatsapp stopped receiving messages and whatsapp web couldn't communicate when the phone had slept for a certain number of minutes, and the only way to get it working again was to wake up the phone (and/or open whatsapp).

The solution I found was to go into Settings -> Battery -> Power Saving / Ultra Power Saving. Either disable it completely, or disable it only for Whatsapp. After looking through the list of apps that were "being power-saved" I decided to disable the whole thing. I never currently reach a low battery status in my daily usage so I doubt it's an issue. If it's an issue for you, maybe you'll want to selectively disable it per app.

This solution worked, I noticed my yahoo mail app was optimized, so I disabled it, locked my phone, sent a mail from my laptop to myself and boom the phone came up with notification. So I think this should work for everyone, I use infinix note 4

Last edited by a moderator:

Vonness

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site

This worked for me! Thank you. My situation was that I was using Android web chat (https://messages.android.com/) and unless my phone was awake I couldn't connect. Note: I also found this to be a problem with WhatsApp some of the time.

I turned off Wifi and suddenly it worked when my phone was asleep (with a little message saying I was using phone data). When I went in and turned off the power saving setting for both Messages and Whatsapp, I no longer have the issue. You're the BEST!!!

Bhavani M

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site
Same probem I had. In my case any of the solution listed didnt work. The pblm was, outlook app was not running in background when screen is off. I fixed it by, "Setting>Battery>under power consumption details>outlook> diable automatically disable when abnormall is detected option.

mathesar

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
After months of having this issue I tried switching from the usual 5Ghz WiFi network to 2.4Ghz (my router broadcasts both as separate available networks) and ever since then notifications have been working properly even when phone is sleeping although I'm not sure why 5Ghz would have this problem.

godtrix

Dec 26, 2018
Visit site
How is it "widespread" when I only see a couple of people on this thread who have the problem? I don't have this problem.

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7

few reason:
1) this website is not as famous as Facebook, it's my first time seeing this site
2) this silly"bug" has been there since long time and not fix, ppl starts to accept this bug and gave up looking for solution as it is not really a very big issue, just need to use lesser WiFi or have to manually on screen to check for notifications. these are the by-pass solution that i and others are using while we put this issue aside.
3) other user had already addressed this issue, why do i or others who faced the same issue has to "re-post" and comment to this thread saying "hey i also have the issue"... we all are looking for fix and solution, no time to post a comment that doesn't help at all

KrautHolg

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Same problem here with S5 and WhatsApp Web. Testing "i just solved the problem. there is a setting under lock screen "automatically lock after sleep". set to "immediately". i had mine as 5 minutes so i wouldn't have to keep unlocking phone.. until the lock screen app takes focus, hangouts thinks it's still open, even though the screen is off. that's why there is no notification" now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20