POP3 vs. IMAP

spectre72

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I bought new Samsung Galaxy S6 phones from our local Verizon dealer approx four weeks ago. It didn't take long
to realize that hers was taking 6 to 8 hours to receive an email that was sent to both of our phones from our daughter who
lives about 200 miles away while my phone had the mail with a couple of minutes.

After examining both phones I discovered that my phone was setup to use POP3 to access the mail server while her phone
was/is setup to use IMAP. I'm no expert, but I believe the operation of dealing with email should be transparent to the
user regardless of protocol used.
Two separate trips back to the Verizon store failed to get the problem solved. The representatives there were reluctant to
change her phone to POP3, and I am not comfortable trying it myself.

Since her phone otherwise works great, I'd rather not take it back for a replacement because she will most likely end up
with a reconditioned one which may or may not work as well.

Any suggestions?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I bought new Samsung Galaxy S6 phones from our local Verizon dealer approx four weeks ago. It didn't take long
to realize that hers was taking 6 to 8 hours to receive an email that was sent to both of our phones from our daughter who
lives about 200 miles away while my phone had the mail with a couple of minutes.

After examining both phones I discovered that my phone was setup to use POP3 to access the mail server while her phone
was/is setup to use IMAP. I'm no expert, but I believe the operation of dealing with email should be transparent to the
user regardless of protocol used.
Two separate trips back to the Verizon store failed to get the problem solved. The representatives there were reluctant to
change her phone to POP3, and I am not comfortable trying it myself.

Since her phone otherwise works great, I'd rather not take it back for a replacement because she will most likely end up
with a reconditioned one which may or may not work as well.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried removing the account and adding it back?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
POP3 vs IMAP isn't going to create a speed advantage in downloading a message. There's likely another reason you see speed differences. Perhaps look at her phone and shorten or lengthen the Period to Sync. Maybe it's not the attachment she's downloading, rather it's all the mail she's downloading at once?

There has to be something to it. I mean, a 2 meg attachment is a 2 meg attachment.

POP3 downloads a message to the machine that checks and usually removes the email from the server altogether.
IMAP retains the messages on the server, syncing what's there with the device that's checking the mail. That's how we are able to easily sync mail between our office PC, notebook, tablet and smartphone. No one device has the mail. It's on the server and is downloaded to each device depending on its own settings.

Perhaps even one of you are on 4g and the other on Wi-Fi, proving that one network is faster than the other?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12