I'm interested in the Samsung S6 active which is exclusive to AT&T, so no CDMA radio. I know this was an issue a few years ago, but with Verizon now allowing calling over LTE do I even need an CDMA radio anymore?
    06-08-2015 08:11 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! In order to use Advanced Calling, the other person has to have it too. So the phone would be useless for making calls to most people.
    06-09-2015 07:03 PM
    You can get a device without cdma radios so long as it is certified on Verizon's network.
    06-09-2015 10:32 PM
    Does Advanced Calling allow you to make a VoLTE call to someone who doesn't have VoLTE? The Verizon VoLTE information page specified that these kinds of calls require both devices to have VoLTE. I'm just curious, since I don't use Verizon.
    06-09-2015 10:50 PM
    Does Advanced Calling allow you to make a VoLTE call to someone who doesn't have VoLTE? The Verizon VoLTE information page specified that these kinds of calls require both devices to have VoLTE. I'm just curious, since I don't use Verizon.
    I believe the VoLTE part of advanced calling stays in place, even if one-sided. This serves Verizon's needs.
    HD Voice comes by way of carrying the same codec from end to end. (G.722.2)
    06-10-2015 09:31 AM
    Oh, so VoLTE can call anywhere, but you need two Advanced Calling phones in order to get HD Voice--is that correct?
    06-10-2015 10:27 AM
    Oh, so VoLTE can call anywhere, but you need two Advanced Calling phones in order to get HD Voice--is that correct?
    That is my understanding with all carriers.

Posted via the Android Central App
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-10-2015 10:42 AM
    Yep -- For Verizon and I think AT&T.

That is my understanding with all carriers.

Posted via the Android Central App
    T-Mobile can operate HD voice via their normal HSPA network as well. They had HD voice before they had VoLTE.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-10-2015 11:35 AM
    I believe so. If you're a Verizon customer and using the S6, you can enable advanced calling, turn off your wi-fi, call a land line somewhere and then see if you're still able to surf. This will prove that your voice to the tower is a packetized data transmission (VoLTE), along with your surfing being data of course.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-10-2015 11:47 AM
    Thanks for the clarification, folks!
    06-10-2015 12:44 PM
    Advanced calling sucks for me. I disabled it. Ever since that update, it's been trash. Do the calls sound funny to anyone else?

Galaxy S6 Gang
    06-10-2015 01:54 PM