Can Exynos 7420 support 4G RAM ?

Rickosw

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

does anyone know / has links to the technical specs of Exynos 7420? Curious to know if this chip can support 4G RAM

Thanks!

Rickosw

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Why? Are you planning on prying open the back and putting in more RAM...? :)

Posted via the Android Central App

If we have the option to all more RAM like SD card storage. I think all of us will do it. Hehe.

The reason why I am asking is whether this Chip supports 4G RAM, is that I read several tech reports that states that Note 5 & Other OEM phones can support 4G RAM. I will like to find out if there is any truth to it.

So if anyone has the official link / specs that can quantify this statement.. It would be helpful.

Cheers

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If we have the option to all more RAM like SD card storage. I think all of us will do it. Hehe.

The reason why I am asking is whether this Chip supports 4G RAM, is that I read several tech reports that states that Note 5 & Other OEM phones can support 4G RAM. I will like to find out if there is any truth to it.

So if anyone has the official link / specs that can quantify this statement.. It would be helpful.

Cheers

Don't confuse yourself with RAM and storage. Those are two separate components. RAM is what is used by the OS and applications to store data while being used. Storage is where apps, photos, music, and etc. are installed to (or placed).

Our S6 (and others) are 64bit and can address more than 4GB of RAM even though we have only 3GB. It's going to be the same with future phones as well...including the Note 5....which will most likely have 4GB RAM and an SD slot for more storage.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't confuse yourself with RAM and storage. Those are two separate components. RAM is what is used by the OS and applications to store data while being used. Storage is where apps, photos, music, and etc. are installed to (or placed).

Our S6 (and others) are 64bit and can address more than 4GB of RAM even though we have only 3GB. It's going to be the same with future phones as well...including the Note 5....which will most likely have 4GB RAM and an SD slot for more storage.
Is there a limit to the amount of RAM that the 64 bit architecture can support? If Samsung is sticking with the Exynos chipset, I'd like to see them up the ante.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
It's a bit hard to give a full number to that, more factors then just the processor come into play, but the number is likely high enough that we would never see it in a phone. No phone in the next 5 years (or ever really) should need 6 or 8GB of ram. At some point it's diminishing returns, so unless someone wants to pay more for a phone with extra ram tossed in to make it look good, I would say that 3GB will still be present in next years flagships.

Android likes to chew up ram, it's designed to do that for the most part, but even then I think the speed of RAM is far more important at this point then how much. Samsung was wise to bump of the type of ram in the S6 to LPDDR4 and that will certainly be standard for any flagship going forward.

Phones like the Note 5 may bump to 4GB simply due to the fact that Samsung piles so much stuff onto TouchWiz for the Note line to get it the functionality that people buy it for. Toss another GB of RAM in the S6 would make little difference, I'd think. More efficient processors, faster RAM and storage and strong software optimization (Google & OEM) are going to make a much bigger difference going forward. Android is reaching the point where you shouldn't need to brute force it with deca-core processors and 4 or 5GB or RAM. It just isn't going to make use of it or need it.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

Cheers

True enough, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's the first thing I do when I get a new pc/laptop. Always, always max out RAM.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Is there a limit to the amount of RAM that the 64 bit architecture can support? If Samsung is sticking with the Exynos chipset, I'd like to see them up the ante.

On a PC, the limit is endless.... Shall I say, as much as you can stuff into it.

On our phones, it should be the same. But like the other guy said, diminishing returns will ensue. As multitasking becomes more prevalent, ram will be key. I see 4GB next year and 8GB in two to three years.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The Exynos 7420 being a 64bit chip should theoretically be able to support hundreds of gigs of ram. However physical space limitations (and not to mention cost) would obviously restrict that. I don't know the architecture of the 7420, but I don't doubt that it would be able to support 4gb ram.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
On a PC, the limit is endless.... Shall I say, as much as you can stuff into it.

On our phones, it should be the same. But like the other guy said, diminishing returns will ensue. As multitasking becomes more prevalent, ram will be key. I see 4GB next year and 8GB in two to three years.

8GB in 2016 in GS7.

May 3, 2015
Visit site

There technically is a limit, but it's 17.8 million terabytes. Got a little while before we see computers, not to mention phones, breaching that limit.

Rickosw

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

thanks for your comments, so I gather it is possible to have Exynos 7420 chip supporting 4G RAM.

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
That's just not enough space!! Need at least 18.6 million terabytes for photos and videos of the kids!

I'll settle for 256GB of RAM and 1TB of storage. Only need one model and no card slot. Battery will be big enough as we may need a slightly thicker device.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'll settle for 256GB of RAM and 1TB of storage. Only need one model and no card slot. Battery will be big enough as we may need a slightly thicker device.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Would need a 5488865456 mAh battery just so the phone can populate terabytes of space....lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey