Pictures mysteriously disappearing ???

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Twice now, I have taken pictures on my S6 ... and those pictures have been in my "camera roll" for at least a few days ... then, all of a sudden, POOF! They are gone ... totally gone ... not deleted by me ... not relocated to some other folder on the phone (including hidden folders) ... Just, GONE, period.

The first time it happened, I don't recall the sequence of events leading up to it ... but this morning, I recall EXACTLY what happened, and am not sure if what I did caused it. I'm going to try to recreate it myself later w/ some random meaningless pics to see if I can duplicate the problem. For anyone interested, here goes:

I took pics while on an off-shore Red Snapper fishing trip with my son. Using the Gallery app on my phone, I created a new picture folder entitled "Red Snapper 2015". I then moved the pictures into that folder, using the gallery app. For the last few days, the pictures were there, and had no issues at all. THIS MORNING, when I got to the office, I plugged in my phone to my work computer via USB cable, and was going to pull a few pictures off onto my pc to send in an email to a couple of friends. I noticed that this new folder I had created was not in the "Camera" folder, but rather directly under the DCIM folder. Well, my way of filing is to keep all sub-folders/albums under the "camera" folder ... so I just dragged/dropped the "Red Snapper 2015" folder into the Camera folder. Then, I went into the "Red Snapper 2015" folder - AFTER it had been moved - and it was EMPTY.

Looking back now, I think I did this same exact thing with the other pictures that mysteriously disappeared. I had gone with my son on his end-of-the-year field trip to the New Orleans zoo, taken pics, then used the Gallery app to make a "zoo trip 2015" folder, and moved all those pics into that folder ... then later, used the PC to move that folder into the Camera folder ... and that's when the pics were all of a sudden GONE.

So, I guess what I'm getting at is this ... Has anyone else had a situation where pictures they have taken just vanish into thin air? If so, can you confirm if you've done something like what I describe above (regarding organizing your albums/folders) and let me know if that may have been part of what happened to you and your vanishing pictures?

I'm so lucky that I had sent some pictures out already, and was able to get them back from texts and/or emails - though at lower resolutions than the originals ... but I'm still super-mad that this has happened.

I'm guessing this MUST be some sort of bug/glitch with our phones, and need to make sure this does NOT happen again. I have also - reluctantly - enabled the Google+ automatic photo backup system (at full resolution) for now to make sure that if this happens again, I don't actually lose the pictures.

Feel free to respond with any/all info you might have on this ... any suggestions or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Twice now, I have taken pictures on my S6 ... and those pictures have been in my "camera roll" for at least a few days ... then, all of a sudden, POOF! They are gone ... totally gone ... not deleted by me ... not relocated to some other folder on the phone (including hidden folders) ... Just, GONE, period.

The first time it happened, I don't recall the sequence of events leading up to it ... but this morning, I recall EXACTLY what happened, and am not sure if what I did caused it. I'm going to try to recreate it myself later w/ some random meaningless pics to see if I can duplicate the problem. For anyone interested, here goes:

I took pics while on an off-shore Red Snapper fishing trip with my son. Using the Gallery app on my phone, I created a new picture folder entitled "Red Snapper 2015". I then moved the pictures into that folder, using the gallery app. For the last few days, the pictures were there, and had no issues at all. THIS MORNING, when I got to the office, I plugged in my phone to my work computer via USB cable, and was going to pull a few pictures off onto my pc to send in an email to a couple of friends. I noticed that this new folder I had created was not in the "Camera" folder, but rather directly under the DCIM folder. Well, my way of filing is to keep all sub-folders/albums under the "camera" folder ... so I just dragged/dropped the "Red Snapper 2015" folder into the Camera folder. Then, I went into the "Red Snapper 2015" folder - AFTER it had been moved - and it was EMPTY.

Looking back now, I think I did this same exact thing with the other pictures that mysteriously disappeared. I had gone with my son on his end-of-the-year field trip to the New Orleans zoo, taken pics, then used the Gallery app to make a "zoo trip 2015" folder, and moved all those pics into that folder ... then later, used the PC to move that folder into the Camera folder ... and that's when the pics were all of a sudden GONE.

So, I guess what I'm getting at is this ... Has anyone else had a situation where pictures they have taken just vanish into thin air? If so, can you confirm if you've done something like what I describe above (regarding organizing your albums/folders) and let me know if that may have been part of what happened to you and your vanishing pictures?

I'm so lucky that I had sent some pictures out already, and was able to get them back from texts and/or emails - though at lower resolutions than the originals ... but I'm still super-mad that this has happened.

I'm guessing this MUST be some sort of bug/glitch with our phones, and need to make sure this does NOT happen again. I have also - reluctantly - enabled the Google+ automatic photo backup system (at full resolution) for now to make sure that if this happens again, I don't actually lose the pictures.

Feel free to respond with any/all info you might have on this ... any suggestions or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Go to Google Play Store and download Quick Pic Gallery. The photos you take and the ones that you download from the Internet go there and stay there. Work great at my former Nexus 5 and work great at my current Galaxy S6.uploadfromtaptalk1433974176885.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Whenever I have taken any pictures, they end up in the Photo app.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

I may be missing what you're saying here ... but this isn't about pictures not being taken, or me not being able to find them after taking them. I take the pics, and they are there on my phone ... for days. Then, one day, they vanish, as if I never took them. Gallery app, Photos App, any other app ... that's not the issue.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I may check that app out.

So ... nobody else has suffered the mysterious disappearing pictures like I have?
Remember that before you do a Factory Reset at your phone you must uploaded those photos you want to keep save to these all free clouds ( check out the screenshots ). Then, after the Factory Reset, install your selected cloud and QuickPic Gallery and just download your photos to QuickPic Gallery again. You just press download and the photos will go again to QuickPic Gallery. uploadfromtaptalk1434035006586.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434035019963.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434035030500.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I may be missing what you're saying here ... but this isn't about pictures not being taken, or me not being able to find them after taking them. I take the pics, and they are there on my phone ... for days. Then, one day, they vanish, as if I never took them. Gallery app, Photos App, any other app ... that's not the issue.

That's a head scratcher. Every photo I have ever taken whether on my GS4 or GS6 is in my Photos app. When I picked up my GS6 at Best Buy and we were setting it up. That's where they were. Just asking. Do you have the updated Photos app? Is it possible that they are backed up on your Google account?

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
That's a head scratcher. Every photo I have ever taken whether on my GS4 or GS6 is in my Photos app. When I picked up my GS6 at Best Buy and we were setting it up. That's where they were. Just asking. Do you have the updated Photos app? Is it possible that they are backed up on your Google account?

Until yesterday when I turned on the auto-backup in the Google Photos app (which is really just an arm of the Google+ system), I had never used the Photos app ... I had always just used the Samsung "Gallery" app to view the photos on my phone.

It sounds like what you're saying is ... it's NOT that your photos are "in the photo app" ... it's that you have been using the Photos app, which can auto-backup your photos to the cloud storage ... so when you sign in on your new phone, it syncs and you see your backed-up photos.

It may sound like a matter of semantics ... and it may actually be. But the point is, I was NOT backing up my photos to a cloud, ever. I would take photos, and each week or so, I'd pull them off manually to my PC. However, based on having photos vanish on my twice now, I have turned on the auto-backup to the cloud, and should not have to worry anymore if pics decide to just vanish from the storage on my phone, because they will already have been uploaded to the cloud.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Until yesterday when I turned on the auto-backup in the Google Photos app (which is really just an arm of the Google+ system), I had never used the Photos app ... I had always just used the Samsung "Gallery" app to view the photos on my phone.

It sounds like what you're saying is ... it's NOT that your photos are "in the photo app" ... it's that you have been using the Photos app, which can auto-backup your photos to the cloud storage ... so when you sign in on your new phone, it syncs and you see your backed-up photos.

It may sound like a matter of semantics ... and it may actually be. But the point is, I was NOT backing up my photos to a cloud, ever. I would take photos, and each week or so, I'd pull them off manually to my PC. However, based on having photos vanish on my twice now, I have turned on the auto-backup to the cloud, and should not have to worry anymore if pics decide to just vanish from the storage on my phone, because they will already have been uploaded to the cloud.

Could your son have been using your phone? When my son was younger, for a short time, I could not text or call. He had blocked my number being a teenager. Just asking. The choice comes down to human error or the device. Would a reset help or something less drastic from a device perspective?

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Could your son have been using your phone? When my son was younger, for a short time, I could not text or call. He had blocked my number being a teenager. Just asking. The choice comes down to human error or the device. Would a reset help or something less drastic from a device perspective?

Read my original post in full. I explain exactly what happened. I was looking at the pics on my phone - at my office - all alone ... then plugged in my phone to my PC, and simply drag/dropped the folder that the pics were in to a different folder on the phone - then looked in the folder again and the pics were gone.

Nothing to do with anyone else using my phone, or me accidentally deleting the pictures.

Best I can tell, the folder was moved, but the phone "glitched" and didn't move the pics with it ... it just deleted them (for lack of a better explanation).

Like I said, this has happened twice, and I can PROBABLY reproduce it and prove it's some kind of bug/glitch w/ the phone.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Read my original post in full. I explain exactly what happened. I was looking at the pics on my phone - at my office - all alone ... then plugged in my phone to my PC, and simply drag/dropped the folder that the pics were in to a different folder on the phone - then looked in the folder again and the pics were gone.

Nothing to do with anyone else using my phone, or me accidentally deleting the pictures.

Best I can tell, the folder was moved, but the phone "glitched" and didn't move the pics with it ... it just deleted them (for lack of a better explanation).

Like I said, this has happened twice, and I can PROBABLY reproduce it and prove it's some kind of bug/glitch w/ the phone.

Is there a way to search for the folder on your pc? Just trying to help. Not trying to frustrate you.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me once! Hasn't happened since... Idk why wish I had an explanation... I back up all my pics to Google Drive so luckily too much wasn't lost

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

Mark Bley

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I am on my second warranty s6 with that issue. I am on the phone with Verizon and getting my 3rd phone tomorrow. My pictures, ringtones, and music vanish, but when I go into file storage, they are there. The phone just does not recognize them. Verizon thinks it must be a lolipop issue and has NO CLUE. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I am on my second warranty s6 with that issue. I am on the phone with Verizon and getting my 3rd phone tomorrow. My pictures, ringtones, and music vanish, but when I go into file storage, they are there. The phone just does not recognize them. Verizon thinks it must be a lolipop issue and has NO CLUE. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING.

Look in the Play Store for ES File Explorer, then go to its settings and Select the option to show hidden files, then go to your Device Root folder or on each individual folder for Ringtones, Music and all other media in your phone, and see if you can find a file named .nomedia, if you have that file by any chance, just delete it, none of your media files will be showing in the respective apps. I've seen this in the past and it seems that there are some apps that are creating this file across some folders on the device causing the media to not show.

Mark Bley

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
That is exactly the problem. I did a full search of the internal SD card. Found 19 instances of .nomedia. Deleted and all works......they really need to fix that issue. Might save tech support a major headache. Thank you.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
That is exactly the problem. I did a full search of the internal SD card. Found 19 instances of .nomedia. Deleted and all works......they really need to fix that issue. Might save tech support a major headache. Thank you.

Again, like I've mentioned a lot of times before, what worries me the most of that people call their carrier's, Best Buy and even Samsung's support and nobody seem to know most of this things.

About the amount of files you found, well, there are a couple of folders in which you would like to have that file, that's depending on the apps you have installed, the ones I was talking about was just in the media folders, so if those were the only ones you deleted them no issue, if you later find that you need it in some apps folder, just create a blank file in that folder and name it .nomedia.

About what causes that, let me tell you that by experience is definitely some app you installed and are using, very very rare that it can be caused by default apps. You should check those apps (mostly related to media) that you installed or used before the problem appeared the first time.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Thats happened to me but not with pics I've taken with the S6 but with pics I transferred to my S6 from my laptop. I dragged about 100 pics into the pictures folder on my S6 when i first got it. They were on there for weeks. I accessed them and viewed them a few times. Then one day they were just gone. Folder was empty. I couldnt explain it.

mattbooty

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Thats happened to me but not with pics I've taken with the S6 but with pics I transferred to my S6 from my laptop. I dragged about 100 pics into the pictures folder on my S6 when i first got it. They were on there for weeks. I accessed them and viewed them a few times. Then one day they were just gone. Folder was empty. I couldnt explain it.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but did you ever find a solution to this? I'm dealing with the same thing - pictures copied from my old phone keep disappearing on my new phone. Thankfully I kept them on my PC so I'm able to put them back, but then a few weeks later a handful will be missing again (not all, just SOME).

Any idea what is removing these? And they aren't just missing in photo gallery, the files are gone - I end up connecting to my pc to compare directories to see which i need to copy back over again.

yaya#AC

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
This just started happening to me. Pictures from four separate occasions. I never moved the pictures from my camera to a separate file. Some of the pictures were there for 3 months, then they just disappeared.