TMO lollipop 5.1 rolling out now

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Cell standby issue(s) typically are seen in areas with weak cell signal. The mobile radio has to ratchet up the transmit power in these weak areas to maintain connection.

i.e. I updated my phone to 5.1.1 this AM. All day, cell standby did not even show up in my battery usage log (I was in good signal pretty much all day). I got home an hour ago (where I have pathetic signal) and within 1 hour cell standby 5%.

I've done similar tests when I was on 5.0.2 and pretty much was able to associate poor signal with the cell standby issue. BTW, I leave VoLTE on.

Source? So far from my experience and others who have this phone it does not matter. In fact it doesn't even matter if you are connected to Wifi or not. As long as the wifi switch is on, as well as WiFi calling/VOLTE if you are affected then Cell Standby will be high.

My friend on T-mobile is doing the same thing I am. Turning off the above features when not needed.

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It seems that way but believe me, if it doesn't say Disabled when looking to it from the Call settings menu, it isn't, just enter to the wifi calling and turn it on and off again, then you'll see that it shows as disabled.

It's definitely off..... After the update, I went through everything that was originally claimed to be causing the standby issue (network switch, voice over LTE, wifi calling, etc.). I'm now up to 26% and my phone has just been sitting here for the last hour not touched.

I also have a strong wifi signal, and 4 bars for cell service.

Posted via the Android Central App

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Might be placebo effect but battery life seems better. I updated then went to sleep with full battery and woke up 5 hours later with 98 percent battery. Still too soon to say for sure.

I would be thrilled with that! Looking forward to this update.

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
It seems that way but believe me, if it doesn't say Disabled when looking to it from the Call settings menu, it isn't, just enter to the wifi calling and turn it on and off again, then you'll see that it shows as disabled.
You know what's strange its back down to about 1% battery usage and I didn't even to do what you said yet.

Maybe it just needed some time to adjust after the update?

Sent from my Galaxy S6.

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I must say my cell standby seems to be going crazy too. This is definitely not an improvement in battery management. I think I like the phone better before the update.

Attachments

• 1434422933925.jpg
    1434422933925.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 73

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm up to 34% cell standby drain and I basically haven't been using my phone today (my last day home with my 2 week old daughter) before I go back to work from my paternity leave.

I'm scared to see what happens once I'm using the phone all day.

Who do I complain to? TMO? Samsung? Google?

I've already wiped cache twice.... Might factory reset tomorrow morning unless anyone has any other suggestions. It just really bothers me that I've had Zero Cell Standby issues before this update.

xdviper

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone report any positives they have found with this update?
The device seems smoother, probably because I also wiped the phone. Battery life too soon to say anything. You are now able to remove s-finder and quick connect from the notification shade.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

ron561

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm also now getting cell standby issues even without WiFi off. This has never happened to me prior to the patch unless I had WiFi activated with wifi calling and VoLTE. :mad:

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
As I have said in the past -- If it was specifically only a T-Mobile issue then why have AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint users also reported the "Cell Standby" bug -- I am not saying T-Mobile's version may not have issues .. Just saying Cell Standby isn't only on the T-Mobile variant.

Oh I agree to a point. Even I can replicate the cell standby bug if I have everything turned on full blast (wifi scanning always, location history on, VoLTE on, etc). But my worst cell standby on a single charge was 16%.

But in no way could I ever replicate the extreme cell standby issues that will be had when wifi calling and VoLTE is turned on with a T-Mobile device that gets anywhere from 30%-60% cell standby on a single charge. THAT is what I'm talking about that needs to change, and it will only change once T-Mobile fixes the wifi calling/VoLTE issue in their software. (one person in just this thread is claiming 5% per hour of cell standby. That's 30% in just 6 hours. No, I can't replicate that at all, and I've never seen anyone on any other carriers replicate that as well.)

Below is a pic of my worst cell standby that I got with everything on full blast and both ADM and Samsung Security turned on and running. 5 hours of SoT while gaming and YouTube/web.

Attachments

• 139.jpg
    139.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 57

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm also now getting cell standby issues even without WiFi off. This has never happened to me prior to the patch unless I had WiFi activated with wifi calling and VoLTE. :mad:

Try clearing the cache partition.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Try clearing the cache partition.

I have a feeling that some here are experiencing a glitch. Clearing the cashe partition may or may not help. They might have to re-turn on and then off some settings and that should work.

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
After 24 hours with the NEW 5.1.1 update here is my 2 cents.

You now can remove the quick connect and S finder buttons from the pull down screen. Big deal....
Camera - I don't see any changes or notice anything different. Will have to wait and see if the same 5.1.1 update is applied to other carriers.

Battery Life still hasn't been fixed!!! With a full charge in sleep mode my battery dropped 4% in a 8hr time frame. When phone is in use,ex. browsing the internet, playing a game, taking pics, updating apps, the battery drops at 1% a minute or after say 15mins battery is 84%. and 20 to 30 mins battery drops to 71%.

Memory Leaks are also still an issue and apps still fail to release memory back to the system. Of course all of this has been stated by Google Nexus users after they received the 5.1.1 update at the end of May.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling that some here are experiencing a glitch. Clearing the cashe partition may or may not help. They might have to re-turn on and then off some settings and that should work.

That's what I'm saying about the WIFI calling, if it was disabled (Off) before the update, it's still off, but it doesn't say Disabled until you turn it on and off again. I was having Cell Standby increasing until I realized that, after I did the above mentioned it hasn't showed again, but I also did it for all the other things that I have turned off before.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
That's what I'm saying about the WIFI calling, if it was disabled (Off) before the update, it's still off, but it doesn't say Disabled until you turn it on and off again. I was having Cell Standby increasing until I realized that, after I did the above mentioned it hasn't showed again, but I also did it for all the other things that I have turned off before.
Based upon settings prior to the update, which ones need to be modified?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh I agree to a point. Even I can replicate the cell standby bug if I have everything turned on full blast (wifi scanning always, location history on, VoLTE on, etc). But my worst cell standby on a single charge was 16%.

But in no way could I ever replicate the extreme cell standby issues that will be had when wifi calling and VoLTE is turned on with a T-Mobile device that gets anywhere from 30%-60% cell standby on a single charge. THAT is what I'm talking about that needs to change, and it will only change once T-Mobile fixes the wifi calling/VoLTE issue in their software. (one person in just this thread is claiming 5% per hour of cell standby. That's 30% in just 6 hours. No, I can't replicate that at all, and I've never seen anyone on any other carriers replicate that as well.)

We can just agree to disagree then :). I have seen AT&T users post high cell standby. I get that you don't see this but others have reported it so I am still not convinced that it is only a T-Mobile issue.

Also as you said you get it with VoLTE -- So if I have VoLTE on and get it and you have VoLTE on and get it -- I say it isn't a T-Mobile thing but more of a software thing either on Samsung or each carriers side to utilize this function.

Last edited:

Andre Harrod

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I just received the 5.1 update on my GS6 Edge sometime this morning.

Attachments

• 8124.jpg
    8124.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 177
  • 8125.jpg
    8125.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 8126.jpg
    8126.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 176

Forum statistics