TMO lollipop 5.1 rolling out now

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
It's hard to give advise to other users on what to tweak or disable because we don't know how other users have their S6 setup. Example, my phone is tweaked out, I use a custom launcher, custom icon pack, I have Developer Options enabled and have a few settings in there tweaked. I have about 20 bloat ware apps and other features completely disabled, I have restrictive background data enabled, I make sure to always force close all apps after use, I run CCleaner and Smart manager often.

My main battery drain is Android OS, followed by the Screen. Cell Standby has always been 1% before and after the 5.1.1 update. I stopped using Chrome and went back to the standard Internet browser because I found that Chrome was staying active and chewing thru data after I closed it. I also track Google Play services to make sure nothing is running or hung downloading.

I average around 12 gigs of data used each month, but the first 2 months on the S6 my data usage went up to 24gigs, the first month, and 43gigs this last cycle, and I'm not doing anything different from what I did on my S4. So that's the reason for the restrictive background data, and disabled active processes unless on Wi-Fi.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
We can just agree to disagree then :). I have seen AT&T users post high cell standby. I get that you don't see this but others have reported it so I am still not convinced that it is only a T-Mobile issue.

Also as you said you get it with VoLTE -- So if I have VoLTE on and get it and you have VoLTE on and get it -- I say it isn't a T-Mobile thing but more of a software thing either on Samsung or each carriers side to utilize this function.

I have VoLTE on always and do NOT get it.
When I do get it is because of something else unrelated to VoLTE. (or it could be a combination of things turned on that also includes VoLTE)

So when you get it because of VoLTE, but I don't, then it is one of two reasons why you get it and I don't.

1) it's because you don't have that feature on the cell towers in your area that you use and is causing the cell standby (some Verizon users will report such as well)

2) the software from your carrier needs to be improved. Such as the case with most on T-Mobile.

Cell Standby is a lollipop issue caused by many factors. Extreme cell standby on working phones with minimal lollipop issues will never have an effect and show up like with T-Mobile's extremely high cell standby. It can't because such phones don't have the software that was added by T-Mobile.

I'll state it again, I don't have cell standby due to VoLTE at all. None what so ever. Zero. Nada. No Mas. Nope. Zip. Zilch.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have VoLTE on always and do NOT get it.
When I do get it is because of something else unrelated to VoLTE. (or it could be a combination of things turned on that also includes VoLTE)

So when you get it because of VoLTE, but I don't, then it is one of two reasons why you get it and I don't.

1) it's because you don't have that feature on the cell towers in your area that you use and is causing the cell standby (some Verizon users will report such as well)

2) the software from your carrier needs to be improved. Such as the case with most on T-Mobile.

Cell Standby is a lollipop issue caused by many factors. Extreme cell standby on working phones with minimal lollipop issues will never have an effect and show up like with T-Mobile's extremely high cell standby. It can't because such phones don't have the software that was added by T-Mobile.

I'll state it again, I don't have cell standby due to VoLTE at all. None what so ever. Zero. Nada. No Mas. Nope. Zip. Zilch.

I do have VoLTE all in my area. Also I don't get it with VoLTE (I was going off your example of saying VoLTE causes it). For me WiFi calling mainly caused it only when on WiFi. So is that the cause from T-Mobile -- Sure. If you get it though for any reason it def. is a manufacturer issue (not just a specific carrier). I have no cell standby in my battery list anymore. I haven't since the first week.

Edit - My main thing is you say it is only a T-Mobile thing but readily admit you can get it on your AT&T Version. I will agree the T-Mobile users who get it -- have a more aggressive drain (vs. other carriers)... but to just say it is only them doesn't make sense. Simply disabling 1 item (wifi calling) caused mine to stop on my S6.

As for my G4 -- It runs Lollipop and I have never seen Cell Standby once (I have the international model) so I am not sure how it is a Lollipop issue if my other phone running it never sees this drain from "Cell Standby".

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I do have VoLTE all in my area. Also I don't get it with VoLTE (I was going off your example of saying VoLTE causes it). For me WiFi calling mainly caused it only when on WiFi. So is that the cause from T-Mobile -- Sure. If you get it though for any reason it def. is a manufacturer issue (not just a specific carrier). I have no cell standby in my battery list anymore. I haven't since the first week.

How is RAM management?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
almost a full 24hrs with the update and my cell standby is even higher than before. Just checked my battery stats and cell standby is at 25% right now. It was never that high before. Besides being able to remove S Finder and quick connect from the notification center I dont see any other positive improvements. There is alot I like about this phone but im seriously considering selling it because its getting frustrating. Luckily I still have my iPhone 6.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Edit - My main thing is you say it is only a T-Mobile thing but readily admit you can get it on your AT&T Version. I will agree the T-Mobile users who get it -- have a more aggressive drain (vs. other carriers)... but to just say it is only them doesn't make sense. Simply disabling 1 item (wifi calling) caused mine to stop on my S6.

As for my G4 -- It runs Lollipop and I have never seen Cell Standby once (I have the international model) so I am not sure how it is a Lollipop issue if my other phone running it never sees this drain from "Cell Standby".

There are a few settings besides wifi calling that also give you cell standby. Just having" incompatible" 5ghz band wifi could also cause some issues for some people. My point is that the way you set up your phone causes the least issues for you and your other devices, on lollipop, I call that lucky. Personally, I have 3 devices that all run awesome on lollipop no matter what I do with them. Call me lucky.

Now, what I am saying about my S6 is that if I start to turn on some things that I tweaked, then yes, I can get some cell standby due to things that is out of my control. But it is so low. 5%, 10% maybe. But I don't have wifi calling on my phone because Samsung doesn't make such software for its customers. the carriers make it and due to contractual obligations, force Samsung to add it to the stock software. If you can just flip the switch and turn on wifi calling and get some or additional cell standby, then only T-Mobile can fix this as it is their software that is doing it for you and countless others.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that such exaggeration of cell standby issues is caused by mostly wifi calling on T-Mobile's S6 phones. If so, why is it not T-Mobile's software and thus Samsung's fault or software instead?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that such exaggeration of cell standby issues is caused by mostly wifi calling on T-Mobile's S6 phones. If so, why is it not T-Mobile's software and thus Samsung's fault or software instead?

I wasn't faulting only Samsung. I said it could be them or the carrier software (all carrier software) -- That part we don't know. My main thing was you keep going around saying it is strictly a T-Mobile issue when that isn't the case as proven by your own admission. Is T-Mobile the worst of all when it comes to cell standby? That I can agree. Is it strictly a T-Mobile issue? No.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
That's what I'm saying about the WIFI calling, if it was disabled (Off) before the update, it's still off, but it doesn't say Disabled until you turn it on and off again. I was having Cell Standby increasing until I realized that, after I did the above mentioned it hasn't showed again, but I also did it for all the other things that I have turned off before.

I know that's what you're saying. I'm agreeing and backing up your thoughts.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I know that's what you're saying. I'm agreeing and backing up your thoughts.

Never thought otherwise ... I thought my post was doing the same to yours... Agreeing and backing up your thoughts. Anyway, now you see, that sometimes what people understand is not even close to the writer's intentions.;)

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Never thought otherwise ... I thought my post was doing the same to yours... Agreeing and backing up your thoughts. Anyway, now you see, that sometimes what people understand is not even close to the writer's intentions.;)

Group hug?

Big-A-Rob

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Really not liking this update so far. After the update tons of apps started crashing. So I first wipe cache with no fix, then factory reset which resulted in the phone not booting. Flashed the ROM from smart switch, same booting issues. Flashed it with Odin, it would boot but then apps would start crashing. Am I just the unlucky one or are others hearing of this happening? Not rooted and never was in case you're wondering. Having to get it exchanged under warranty:'(.

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Well after having this update over 24 hours now, my SOT is averaging around 5 hours and so far performance has been great if not better then on 5.0.2. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the update.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Well after having this update over 24 hours now, my SOT is averaging around 5 hours and so far performance has been great if not better then on 5.0.2. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the update.

Great. My question is ..... When is AT&T getting the update? The Nexus 6 is getting it for Pete's sake.