Increased Data Usage

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I used to have a Galaxy S3 and rarely went over my data especially after Verizon gave me more. However, with this new phone, I am definitely using more. Ironically, when I called at the end of the last billing cycle, Verizon offered me more data for $10 less a month or I could continue paying the $10 and get more. I said I'd save the ten bucks because I never go over. I didn't this month but came very close and had to shut off mobile data in the last few hours of the billing cycle. Anyone else noticed this? Any idea what settings could be different to drive up the data usage?

teerexx87

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I used to have a Galaxy S3 and rarely went over my data especially after Verizon gave me more. However, with this new phone, I am definitely using more. Ironically, when I called at the end of the last billing cycle, Verizon offered me more data for $10 less a month or I could continue paying the $10 and get more. I said I'd save the ten bucks because I never go over. I didn't this month but came very close and had to shut off mobile data in the last few hours of the billing cycle. Anyone else noticed this? Any idea what settings could be different to drive up the data usage?

I too also had a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I enjoy my Samsung Galaxy S6(at times). Currently I using 3GB with AT&T. I had some close calls. Sometimes closing all the apps helps. I used CCleaner apps to shut down all/most my apps just in case it's using my data. Check and see if you have auto upload off of pictures/videos off on Google photos, Facebook, Microsoft cloud services anything other apps. There's a tread that will help you.

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
It is Chrome that is using it. Restrict background data is on. What ramifications are there if I shut it off? Also, limit mobile data usage is off. What happens of I turn that on? Thanks in advance!

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I look things up a few times a day. Nothing big. Only watch a video if it is short and I'm on wifi, no streaming, downloading, etc.

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully, you will be able to see the attachment. I've used forums before but I'm not finding my way around this board very well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 53

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully, you will be able to see the attachment. I've used forums before but I'm not finding my way around this board very well.

You've used 470 MB of data. Depending on the videos your watching, whether they are HD or something similar, can chew up data. But you said your using WiFi right? something's a miss. Go into settings, applications, scroll to all, scroll down till you see chrome and clear cache and data. See what that does.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You've used 470 MB of data. Depending on the videos your watching, whether they are HD or something similar, can chew up data. But you said your using WiFi right? something's a miss. Go into settings, applications, scroll to all, scroll down till you see chrome and clear cache and data. See what that does.

Posted via the Android Central App

This is correct.

Richard Meyers

May 14, 2015
Visit site
FYI - If a site determines you have a faster connection, they can serve higher quality images resulting in higher data costs. When going from HSPA to LTE my usage went 1 GB to 2 GB for similar activity.

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to dumb it down? If I am on this phone, I don't care how high def it is. I only watch something if I'm on wifi and even then it's short things. I just think its really ironic that Verizon comes knocking with more data. I'm a skeptic!

Richard Meyers

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry I don't know. Perhaps others here have an idea. I know there are lots of 'dire warnings' when you go to disable something but I've never really had a problem except for a little inconvenience reconfiguring later. You could also talk to your carrier about it. Hope that helps some. Good luck.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The day I edged up from my S5 and got my S6, I hadn't even used the phone at all and went over my 4GB plan with Verizon. I worked and wasn't able to use the phone yet. I didn't watch a video, play a game, visit a website and my data was used up. That was insane. I called them and explained my problem and they went back and looked at my billing history and saw that I never went over or even got close. They credited me the overage charge but it was crazy how all my data got used up and didn't even get to touch the phone yet.