what would the moto x need to make you consider switching from S6?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
We're starting to hear a lot of leaks from this years Moto X. I don't get excited unless I see duplicate rumors from different sources, which over the past month have been consistent.

I'm replacing my S4, possibly with the S6, but I'll jump on the Moto X if it has the following specs:

- 3200+ mAh battery
- 5.2" display
- camera on par or even slightly below S6/G4
- similar near stock Android as 2014 model

That would be enough to win me over. I'm also excited about the possible front facing speakers, kevlar and USB-C. 810 vs 808 processor and 2-4 RAM I really don't care about so long as it's compatible. One thing I don't like is the rumored 1440p display. I'd actually prefer 1080p.

What, if anything, would the Moto X 3rd gen need for you to consider trading in your S6 for one?

(for the sake of discussion, don't consider price/contact, which would obviously be a huge factor)

Posted via the Android Central App

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
What, if anything, would the Moto X 3rd gen need for you to consider trading in your S6 for one?

NOTHING Motorola could possibly do would make me go for one of their phones. Believe it or not, I actually PREFER the way Samsung does things -- I have tried a "nexus" thing with "near stock Android" before, and I HATED IT. There are a number of things that Samsung does that I like, for instance:

The time/weather widget, which is now nice and small in the S6 -- just the right size.

The music player, which allows you to play back VIA FOLDERS instead of just via tags.

The S View case, which allows me to see what's going on as needed with the cover closed.

Just to name a few. All I can say is that I have owned a number of Samsung devices -- phones and tablets -- and I prefer them to anything else I've either bought or just browsed through in a store. There is just nothing, nothing, nothing whatsoever that anyone else is doing that would make me want to switch -- in fact, it's entirely the opposite, as I just don't like what the other manufacturers are doing, period.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I have never owned a moto, but if they matched Sammy on display and camera I would definitely consider it.

dreaming of electric sheep

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
The camera would be the main thing. I bought a 2014 Moto X from the Moto Maker, loved the customisation facility, but the camera on the phone was poor.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The rumored specs are pretty good.

Motorola Moto X (3rd Gen) - Full phone specifications

Having been on AT&T, haven't used a Motorola device since 1994. Unless the upgraded device I am using turns out to be bothersome, I am monogamous and haven't had to change devices nor do I carry multiple devices.

From what little solid information we have heard so far, it appears like no wireless charging, no mobile pay, and no fingerprint scanner. A larger battery is about the only upside that I can see. It is rumored to have 4GB of RAM but is paired with the Snapdragon 808. How well the chipset is optimized might be a question mark in terms of whether Moto worked with Qualcomm as closely LG. I would have thought a newer chipset would have been available or used. We will,just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
After the horrible experience I had with them this past December where my 7 days old Moto X stopped charging (seems like the USB/Charger adapter was blown somehow) and I needed almost 3 days on the phone with them, about 20 calls, so they acknowledge the issue and gave me options, I just gave up and instead of a replacement I asked for a Full refund, that took more than 1 month and a half to get a partial one (Didn't refund me the Tax paid), and more than a month more to get the rest.

If that wasn't enough, the 2 Moto G 2014 I bought for my daughters by the same time, one of them just stopped working, no charge, no power on, battery was apparently completely drained and died even when minutes before was showing 35%, I needed to open it and remove the battery from the motherboard in order to put it to work, losing the warranty, they wanted to charge me about $40 for a diagnostic.

The other one is showing lags and stutter all the time, I need to be doing the wipe cache partition weekly, one that takes 10 minutes to complete when the rest of devices just take 1 second.

For all the above, there is nothing Motorola can do that makes me buy another one of their devices.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
After the horrible experience I had with them this past December where my 7 days old Moto X stopped charging (seems like the USB/Charger adapter was blown somehow) and I needed almost 3 days on the phone with them, about 20 calls, so they acknowledge the issue and gave me options, I just gave up and instead of a replacement I asked for a Full refund, that took more than 1 month and a half to get a partial one (Didn't refund me the Tax paid), and more than a month more to get the rest.

If that wasn't enough, the 2 Moto G 2014 I bought for my daughters by the same time, one of them just stopped working, no charge, no power on, battery was apparently completely drained and died even when minutes before was showing 35%, I needed to open it and remove the battery from the motherboard in order to put it to work, losing the warranty, they wanted to charge me about $40 for a diagnostic.

The other one is showing lags and stutter all the time, I need to be doing the wipe cache partition weekly, one that takes 10 minutes to complete when the rest of devices just take 1 second.

For all the above, there is nothing Motorola can do that makes me buy another one of their devices.

Never had a problem with my first gen moto x. In fact still being used by my brother without issue. But I get what your saying. The G3 left a horrible hole for me to buy LG again in which the G4 was never an option.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt Moto will bring enough to warrant a switch. But maybe these will do it:

Similar Screen and Camera experience
Not noticeably bigger than the S6
Improved MotoMaker options
Removable back plates
Fingerprint scanner
Better software with less bugs
*Price would be the most important factor since my S6 is already a highly capable device

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt Moto will bring enough to warrant a switch. But maybe these will do it:

Similar Screen and Camera experience
Not noticeably bigger than the S6
Improved MotoMaker options
Removable back plates
Fingerprint scanner
Better software with less bugs
*Price would be the most important factor since my S6 is already a highly capable device

No removable backs.

Sorry but software bugs not totally on Samsung. Moto would have them as well.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
No removable backs.

Sorry but software bugs not totally on Samsung. Moto would have them as well.

Please don't shoot me down. I feel the MotoMaker backs should be replaceable and I blame Google, Samsung and the Carriers for the buggy software experiences.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Please don't shoot me down. I feel the MotoMaker backs should be replaceable and I blame Google, Samsung and the Carriers for the buggy software experiences.

No shooting. Just opinions.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
For me to switch, not much. For me to look at Moto when I'm ready to move on from this device
1. Fingerprint scanner on the front of the device - preferably new tech comes that lets this happen anywhere on the front of the screen so no need for a button
2. An awesome camera, something Moto hasn't been known to excel at
3. Battery similar to their big battery devices, just make that the standard model
4. Great screen

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Nothing. I too have owned Stock or near stock devices before, and while I didn't hate them I really and truly prefer how Samsung does things. The one exception being updates. Everything from easy access to files, true quick toggles, battery life that last ME through the day and second to none feel and build of the phone will probably keep me with the s6 for now. Levono will undoubtedly release a great phone. But I already have one. However I am looking for a cheaper backup phone and the third gen moto G might fit that bill for me.

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I will be switching when it is released. My S6 is the glitchiest phone I have ever owned. I would switch back to my Moto X 2013 if it wasn't for the fact that I have become accustomed to the larger screen.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Last year I would have taken a Moto x over any Samsung. Not this year. Samsung has really impressed me with the toned down software.. and the smoothness of this phone is on par with any stock Android phone I've used. I don't see the camara on the new X being better than this phone. The only thing that could be better is battery

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Nothing. I too have owned Stock or near stock devices before, and while I didn't hate them I really and truly prefer how Samsung does things. The one exception being updates. Everything from easy access to files, true quick toggles, battery life that last ME through the day and second to none feel and build of the phone will probably keep me with the s6 for now. Levono will undoubtedly release a great phone. But I already have one. However I am looking for a cheaper backup phone and the third gen moto G might fit that bill for me.

I'm selling one of my daughters ' Moto G after I received fish the new Blu Vivo Air, wow, 5mm, the thinnest phone out there, plus, it simply flies, gorilla glass 3 in front and back plus aluminum frame, like a mini Z3 and S6, and better yet, just $149 with a 25% discount on Amazon this past Friday.

This one and the Alcatel Idol 3 I received last week I simply can't believe how good are this phones that are below $200 right now, the Blu Vivo Air even comes with a TPU clear cover, screen protector, headsets, and a USB adapter so you can hook up any USB device and use it as external storage, and it looks stunning, light, thin and beautiful.

Both my daughters are extremely happy, like they just told me, they won't miss the Moto crap ;).

BobDyl

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Owned the Moto X 2014 for a few months. Good phone but the horrible camera killed it for me. Still life in bright sun = no problem. Anything else, just a blurry mess.