iphone user since 2007, finally made the switch today... slightly overwhelmed.

Alaivir

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi! Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction so that no one has to tell me the same things that everyone tells new users 1000x every day;)

Today I just picked up a Galaxy S6 Active after being a long time iPhone user since 2007 and I'm mostly excited but I do have some concerns. I noticed quite a bit of bloatware on the Active I could not get rid off using the application manager. After searching around, it seems my only recourse is to root the phone.

So... I suppose my question is, do the guides on how to root the AT&T Galaxy s6 also pertain to the Galaxy s6 Active? It seems like there's so many guides and so many places to start that I'm a tad bit overwhelmed. Hopefully my question doesn't seem painfully naive, I was just thinking that the Active is essentially the same phone and rooting it would not be different than doing so on the s6. :p

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi! Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction so that no one has to tell me the same things that everyone tells new users 1000x every day;)

Today I just picked up a Galaxy S6 Active after being a long time iPhone user since 2007 and I'm mostly excited but I do have some concerns. I noticed quite a bit of bloatware on the Active I could not get rid off using the application manager. After searching around, it seems my only recourse is to root the phone.

So... I suppose my question is, do the guides on how to root the AT&T Galaxy s6 also pertain to the Galaxy s6 Active? It seems like there's so many guides and so many places to start that I'm a tad bit overwhelmed. Hopefully my question doesn't seem painfully naive, I was just thinking that the Active is essentially the same phone and rooting it would not be different than doing so on the s6. :p

Welcome to the AC Forums.

You can disable some of the bloat in Application Manager.

Pinch your homescreen and uncheck the Briefing panel unless you really want it.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Alaivir

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi Thanks, it would appear nearly all the bloatware applications on the Active are not subject to voluntary removal unfortunately. There's quite a few AT&T centric apps that would be nice to toss out, but it's impossible as is. I'd love to root the phone if that's an option currently.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I believe PingPongPong root is the main way people have been rooting S6's, but 5.1.1 is starting it's (slow) roll out and updates usually interfere with rooting. Rooting risks tripping the Samsung Knox protections so I think rooting on the S6 isn't quite as easy as other Android phones. Not sure about the S6 Active, but it does have a few extra features software wise then the S6 so it's likely operating on different firmware then the normal S6.

The XDA forums are a very good place to start when it comes to rooting.

Raymond Elliott

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Even if you root and delete the bloat apps you won't gain any usable space. Those apps are on the system partition. So unless you install a custom rom it's just as good to disable them.
This is how I understand it anyway. Others can correct if I'm wrong.

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I may have misunderstood but I read somewhere that after either 5.1.1 or Android M, it won't be possible to root or it will be difficult.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Alaivir

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Darn. Well not the end of the world haha. I'm absolutely loving this phone though. Feels like an endless universe of features and options I had no idea existed.

Is there a way to disable some of these AT&T and other Samsung apps I don't want taking up system resourses? I could go into application manager and close them by force... but that's only good till the next time I boot my phone. Any permanent solutions to what I allow running in the background?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Darn. Well not the end of the world haha. I'm absolutely loving this phone though. Feels like an endless universe of features and options I had no idea existed.

Is there a way to disable some of these AT&T and other Samsung apps I don't want taking up system resourses? I could go into application manager and close them by force... but that's only good till the next time I boot my phone. Any permanent solutions to what I allow running in the background?

I don't have an AT&T variant right now but I set my Co-worker 's S6 and noticed the TONS of bloatware they are adding now, it's a shame. But I remember been able to disable is Uninstall most if not all of them, so I don't know why you shouldn't.

If you are in Application Manager and you are seeing the Force Stop button, to the right of that you should see the Uninstall updates and below the Disable buttons or simply the Uninstall or Disable button.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith