New Material Design Themes approved

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Finally, the regular Material one is available in the theme store, but the Material dark is nowhere to be found.

Larzuk

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Thought I would give a brief update on the material dark theme everyone is waiting for from Cambunch over on XDA. Here is a short excerpt of his to update everyone.

-Last Thursday morning, when the Theme Store got updated, I got a notice that both of my themes had been "suspended" because they contain wallpapers and icons copyright by Google. Even though Google has released the icon pack under the Creative Common 3.0 license, I'm guessing that since I didn't site that they were created by Google my themes got put on hold. I don't know what the license is for their wallpaper, so I updated both themes to include original ones by me.

-I have since updated the wallpapers to new ones and sited that the icons are copyright by Google, but the themes have to undergo the re-certification process again when you update them. This seems to take about a week, and my Material Dark theme is at the last stage at the moment. My Material Design theme is two stages behind, and I'm guessing it may have something to do with Samer's theme being released this week, which probably means mine will be rejected because they are similar.

-I sent screenshots to Samsung of my mockup as soon as they opened up the applications months ago, which they approved to give me access to the Theme Editor tools. My themes both got approved on 6/16 to be put in the store, and then canceled the day of the update. I'm not sure why they would be approved, and then canceled, but that's how it went down. Communication with the Samsung team is....difficult, to say the least.

I don't think they are both going to be approved in time to be released in tonight's update, but you guys should at least have Samer's theme to use and probably just my Dark theme in the near future, whenever that is...

With a little luck, Hopefully Next Thursday is it! Awesome Dev, Awesome work, Hopefully Samsung will get it out there.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it. Why would google allow people to use their stuff for creation and then suspend them for doing so

Not being a developer, who knows? However, it makes sense from a disclosure standpoint of giving credit where is due as Google controls how their IP is used by others.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There's something very bizarre going on with the Theme store.
I got the Material theme last night and applied it. Looks like I got it just in time.

When I opened the Theme store just now, I got a weird message. I clicked OK and the app closed. When I reopened it, the new themes including "Material" were removed. Very bizarre.

I still have the "Material" theme in the "My Themes" section of the app, and it's still currently applied. Now I'm afraid to apply anything else for fear that it will remove it from my downloads.

Samsung, what's the deal here??

I'm wondering if Samer's "Material" theme (the one that finally got to the store) also got hit with copyright issues like the dev Cambunch had issues. (Cambunch was actually the developer that announced his theme being accepted a couple of weeks ago, but his STILL have not made it to the store due to apparently copyright issues).

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I got the Material theme last night and applied it. Looks like I got it just in time.

When I opened the Theme store just now, I got a weird message. I clicked OK and the app closed. When I reopened it, the new themes including "Material" were removed. Very bizarre.

I still have the "Material" theme in the "My Themes" section of the app, and it's still currently applied. Now I'm afraid to apply anything else for fear that it will remove it from my downloads.

I'm wondering if Samer's "Material" theme (the one that finally got to the store) also got hit with copyright issues like the dev Cambunch had issues. (Cambunch was actually the developer that announced his theme being accepted a couple of weeks ago, but his STILL have not made it to the store due to apparently copyright issues).

Explanation as to why Samsung pulled the themes is on sammobile.

Posted via the Android Central App

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

I think that's exactly what happened. Realized after they released / approved that there could be a legal issue and pulled it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante