Battery drain on 5.1

robk84

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I updated my tmobile gs6 this week and something seems to be severely draining my battery. With only 20 minutes of screen on time my battery is down to 38% after 5 hours. The top offenders are android os which has stay awake time of 53m and google play services with a stay awake time of 1h 39m. Anyone have any ideas?

robk84

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
There are some things you could try. Running your phone into safe mode will tell you if there's a problem with an app going wild or just something wrong with the system.

Uncheck your sync and location options and see if the problem persists. It can take a little while until you pin the background processes that are eating your battery.

Check the upload settings in your gallery apps and switch them off for a day or so.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I would also try turning on, then off your Google location history under the location settings to make sure that this is fully off and not running.

Posted via the zenfone 2

robk84

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I turned off wifi and location data. I also turned off auto syncing on fitbit, the phone seems to have cooled off some. Is there an app or something that I can use that will disable my location data and wifi when I get to work and turn it back on when I leave? I work in a concrete building with reinforced ceilings and no windows. Cellular service is exceptionally poor and and I think that lollypop just don't quit if it cant get a good signal.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Bad signal can kill your battery, so maybe that's the main problem. There are some apps that you could use to automate those tasks. You can check Tasker or Llama. You'll need some time learning how they work. If you decide to use them there're some threads in these forums that could help you.

For now you could use Power Toggles. With this app you select your switches (WiFi, data, sync, location, etc) and put them on a widget or in your notification shade.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I turned off wifi and location data. I also turned off auto syncing on fitbit, the phone seems to have cooled off some. Is there an app or something that I can use that will disable my location data and wifi when I get to work and turn it back on when I leave? I work in a concrete building with reinforced ceilings and no windows. Cellular service is exceptionally poor and and I think that lollypop just don't quit if it cant get a good signal.

Wi-fi Matic is great for disabling and re-enabling Wifi. It remembers which cell sites are nearby when you are on Wifi, and only enables your Wifi when you are near one of those sites. So - if you want your Wifi only on at home, you install Wi-fi Matic and enable it, it goes into discovery mode to remember the 1-3 cell sites around you, then disable discovery so it doesn't get too many sites. So, when you are heading home, by the time you get within Wifi range it should turn on your Wifi. Then when leaving the house, it disables Wifi when not near one of the trigger sites. I don't know of anything similar for location data.

robk84

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I Actually have tweaked it and found by disabling GPS location services it seems to solve the issue. My problem though is if I use the GPS for maps because I am going somewhere it asked me to turn it on, which is fine but then I have to go back in and adjust my settings. Can I disable gps for some apps but not others?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Glad it helped! I think you'll need root access to do that. There are some apps in the Play Store that claim to work without root but most late reviews say they don't. Never tried one of them so I can't recommend any for you.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
My S6 edge has been rock solid since I got it on released day (April 10th) on battery life, averaging almost the same all the time over 5.25 hours of SoT on Weekdays and over 6 hours on weekends. The same day I updated I noticed that battery was draining a little bit faster, I always do the Wipe Cache after every update, but I did it again but still the same. I decided just to wait for the next full charge to see what happens, but I can say that my experience has been the same than the OP, is not that suddenly I have bad battery life as I still managed to get 4.5 and 4.75 hours of SoT on the following 2 days but as you can see it is clearly less than what I was getting for the past 2+ months.

I received yesterday my new Unlocked S6 (SM-G920i) and it still has 5.0.2 version, and as you may expect it's set exactly as my S6 edge and my past phones and it's giving me the same average that my S6 edge with 5.0.2, I'm at 51% after unplugging at 5:30am, and I have 2 hours 45 minutes of SoT.

SO, what I'm saying here is that it can't be just a coincidence, with same 5.0.2 version, both, the S6 edge and the S6 are giving me almost the exact SoT and battery life but as soon as my edge got the 5.1.1, it went downhill. Summary, something has definitely changed with latest build. :-\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20