After three years of having the Galaxy S3 I have finally upgraded, grabbing the S6. I immediately added the stock Android experience onto it (e.g. disabled all of Samsung's/Sprint's apps, added the Google Now Launcher/keyboard/messenger, etc). The problem I am having is with two apps: Google Photos and Google Camera.

When I download photos they go to Samsung's native Gallery app, not Google Photos. Also, the camera shortcut on the lock-screen and the "double tap home button to go to camera" feature takes me to Samsung's native camera app, not Google Camera. How do I make both Google Camera and Photos the default applications to open/use instead of Samsung's native apps? Google Photos IS TECHNICALLY defaulted currently. However, it doesn't do more than allow me to open photos from a link when given the option.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
    06-19-2015 08:57 AM
    After three years of having the Galaxy S3 I have finally upgraded, grabbing the S6. I immediately added the stock Android experience onto it (e.g. disabled all of Samsung's/Sprint's apps, added the Google Now Launcher/keyboard/messenger, etc). The problem I am having is with two apps: Google Photos and Google Camera.

When I download photos they go to Samsung's native Gallery app, not Google Photos. Also, the camera shortcut on the lock-screen and the "double tap home button to go to camera" feature takes me to Samsung's native camera app, not Google Camera. How do I make both Google Camera and Photos the default applications to open/use instead of Samsung's native apps? Google Photos IS TECHNICALLY defaulted currently. However, it doesn't do more than allow me to open photos from a link when given the option.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
    Not sure if I'm correct in this but if someone is willing to chime in, would you possibly lose photo quality by using the Google Camera app rather than the Samsung camera app that's designed specifically for that camera hardware? The S6 has an awesome camera, it would be a shame to gimp it if using another camera app to operate it has negative consequences
    06-19-2015 10:06 AM
    I've taken photos with both and from my naked eye, I don't notice a difference. I wouldn't expect to though because doesn't the Google Camera app access the same hardware? It's simply an app with a different look and possibly different features (I haven't delved into the features of either camera, I've always left it on auto and snapped away). The physical camera isn't changing so I wouldn't expect quality to degrade.

EDIT: Sorry double post. I've not sure how to delete this.
    06-19-2015 11:32 AM
    Not sure if I'm correct in this but if someone is willing to chime in, would you possibly lose photo quality by using the Google Camera app rather than the Samsung camera app that's designed specifically for that camera hardware? The S6 has an awesome camera, it would be a shame to gimp it if using another camera app to operate it has negative consequences
    I've taken photos with both and from my naked eye I don't notice a difference. I wouldn't expect to though because doesn't the Google Camera app access the same hardware? It's simply an app with a different look and possibly different features (I haven't delved into the features of either camera, I've always left it on auto and snapped away). The physical camera isn't changing so I wouldn't expect quality to degrade.
    06-19-2015 11:33 AM