Galaxy S6 Android 5.1.1 releases

what5k

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Ram being mostly taken up isn't an issue, that's how the android os works. If you kill off apps running in the background to free space they'll just restart and take more of a toll on your battery.

Android is meant to take up ram, it's actually more battery efficient for it to be mostly taken up. Only when apps forceclose or theres NO room for new apps does this become a problem.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Ram being mostly taken up isn't an issue, that's how the android os works. If you kill off apps running in the background to free space they'll just restart and take more of a toll on your battery.

Android is meant to take up ram, it's actually more battery efficient for it to be mostly taken up. Only when apps forceclose or theres NO room for new apps does this become a problem.

What about apps constantly reloading? It annoys the heck out of me when I've been writing something on the internet on my phone and switch between apps to then go back to the internet and have it refresh and me losing everything I had written

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

If you want see the RAM issue just multitask and watch how the apps keep reloading when you open them. Multi tasking is borked until Samsung give us a fix.

dreaming of electric sheep

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It seems like it aggressively kills background apps to me. I have no idea why it does this.

It does to free up more ram for the OS for no reason. That's why people are complaining about apps reloading. There will be 20% or so free ram available and you've used a few apps. When you go to multitask between those few apps a few minutes later, they'll refresh/reload at intermittent intervals losing anything you were doing on those apps.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If you want see the RAM issue just multitask and watch how the apps keep reloading when you open them. Multi tasking is borked until Samsung give us a fix.

dreaming of electric sheep

I'm afraid that won't happen till we get Android M. Google screwed the pooch on lollipop and I'm disappointed.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid that won't happen till we get Android M. Google screwed the pooch on lollipop and I'm disappointed.

From what we've heard earlier about 5.1.1 on international devices, you may be right. That would be disappointing. Are there differences in update versions by country?

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The only differences should be what the US carriers tinker with.

I'm not confident that 5.1.1 fixes much. The memory leak should be fixed, but other then that I think the Lollipop related battery drain issues are still there. If M is a full number jump up to 6.0 then I think that is a good sign Google just wants to abandon Lollipop as quickly as possible since it's just jacked up.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is usually last. I'm going to assume it's because they are making sure it is bug free. Yeah, that's it!

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Verizon was one of the firsts for lollipop on the s5 and it was horrible. So as much as it sucks to wait I gladly will for a good update.