How can I fix my S6 that has a black screen with an X on the screen?

Gary gaz baz2

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: S6 black screen with a x on the screen..

Hi,
I have been having the same issues (small x in corner, weird robot ladys voice talking about Samsung VR gear). started happening in 10-20 minute burst but has been stuck like this now for 12hours and nothing will fix it (reseting, wireless charging, plugging into the computer)
Does anyone know if this is a software or hardware issue (faulty/damaged microusb port)
Cheers

M Stuart

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

Hi,
I have been having the same issues (small x in corner, weird robot ladys voice talking about Samsung VR gear). started happening in 10-20 minute burst but has been stuck like this now for 12hours and nothing will fix it (reseting, wireless charging, plugging into the computer)
Does anyone know if this is a software or hardware issue (faulty/damaged microusb port)
Cheers

It was a hardware issue in my case. Can yours fast-charge? Is it recognised by Windows when you connect it to a PC?

SteveW55

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
This happened to me last night and has been suck this way for over 12 hours. Rebooting and plugging into PC does nothing. PC does not see it. Phone calls and texts come in but I cannot view them. If anyone has any new info on this please post.

dpancaps

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Mine was the charging port on the phone had overheated and failed. Somehow it shorts and it thinks a gear vr product is connected.

To fix i had to take it to samsung and get the USB connection piece inside the phone repaired.

intasar

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site

Hey guys,

for about 15 minutes my Galaxy S6 smartphone won't respond. The screen isn't responding at all. There is just a small cross visible on the right side... Which is really really weird... I tried to restart the phone with the volume down and power button... But it restarted (I guess, as the Samsung Logo appeared) but it went back to the non respond behaviour. I'm really hopeless right now... Because I'm afraid that I won't get it back to work. I hope there is a fix for this... Gosh.

If it's important... The last app I used was Skype. And I think it was still open (Just the chat).

I had the same problem with my note 4, everytime i connect the charger it blacks out with a cross mark..usb port is the problem and u need to repair it by taking it to samsung or temporary solution is..when u attach your charger to ur phone, move the usb cables top (which is connected to phones usb) side ways or upward or downward..what it does is it brings back the display

Psp_040

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site

Hey guys,

for about 15 minutes my Galaxy S6 smartphone won't respond. The screen isn't responding at all. There is just a small cross visible on the right side... Which is really really weird... I tried to restart the phone with the volume down and power button... But it restarted (I guess, as the Samsung Logo appeared) but it went back to the non respond behaviour. I'm really hopeless right now... Because I'm afraid that I won't get it back to work. I hope there is a fix for this... Gosh.

If it's important... The last app I used was Skype. And I think it was still open (Just the chat).

Okay, to anyone still with this problem that is caused by a Gear VR, I have a solution. This worked for me anyway; plug it back into the headset when the black screen and white x is up and go to the main oculus menu. Then remove your phone, it should bring you to your phone's UI. Then power it off and then press and hold the home, power, and volume up buttons until you see a blue screen. Once the interface loads, use volume buttons to navigate to wipe system cache and hit the power button to select it. After that, select reboot (not wipe) and it should verify something and the Galaxy S6 logo should appear shortly afterwards. My phone has been working great since. What caused mine was I took my phone out if the VR Headset before closing a rather intensive app (Smash Hit), and then it did that. I hope this works for you as well as it did for me.

kloesel

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Actually dont listen to all Besserwissers here... hold in all buttons (4) at the same time and it will restart... volume up down button, home button and the button for closing the device....abrakadabra it restarts....:)

mauriceolsen

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
I dont have a good solution for this, but i think I fixed it.
I simply kept restarting the phone with power, home and volume down. I got really upset, so I just kept doing that and pressing all the buttons. After like 5 minutes I managed to glitch out.

When you are rid of the black screen, just turn off you'r phone. Press power, home and volume down. Then you get a menu with several options. I wiped the cache, and rebooted the phone.

I dont know if this is the best solution, but it seems to be okay now. :)

kimb234

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Gosh, I hope you didn't reformat. I suddenly had same thing happen, which was why I googled it immediately. But it seems (for me - tho my symptoms were identical) it was trying to start a new program - VR ?? So it was putting into that mode. I tried everything to get out of black screen, then my home page came back, when it did, the recording came back, saying to set up formating...I backed out right away and closed the program. All is well now.
Dunno if that helps.
kim

itsnotme123

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
In my experience, there's no way to fix it unless you get your usb port or headphone jack checked out. I'm sure that's what's causing the problem. It's happened to me 3 times already and I "fixed" it twice but this time I'm taking the phone to my carrier for a replacement. My temporary fix was to pretty much drain the battery or wait for it to die, plug it into a charger and wait for it to recognize that it's connected to a charger and not a Samsung VR (can take a few minutes or a few hours ugh). After that it returned to normal... at least for a few hours. I've tried everything else and nothing worked.

Sim Co

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Hey guys,

It's the new occulus rift update that's causing this problem my girlfriend is having the same problem because she doesn't want it installed it keeps trying to instal it and she keeps getting that annoying black screen with the little white x

MarkoWells

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Fixing your phone

Alright if your galaxy screen is all black wit a little white x at the bottom get your charger n plug it into your phone add a little pressure to it n it should come back on because I just did my galaxy s6 like that.

ryanhejka

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Mine was the charging port on the phone had overheated and failed. Somehow it shorts and it thinks a gear vr product is connected.

To fix i had to take it to samsung and get the USB connection piece inside the phone repaired.

I just scraped my USB port with a paper clip a few time. This fixed it for me.

mr2tony

May 25, 2016
Visit site
OK I just got off the phone with Samsung and they've never heard of this problem. Everybody needs to call them to let them know that this has been going on for a while as they think I am the only person to whom this has happened.

Their response after remoting into my phone and going all admin on it was `Take it in to Best Buy and see if they have a solution.' Theyswear it's nto the Gear VR app, they say it has nothing to do with the plug and they say NOT to download a third-party fix as it could harm the phone. The only other option is to send your phone to Samsung where they'll hold onto it for three or four weeks and see if they can fix it. But then you're without a phone for three or four week -- the tech said `Oh. Yeah. I can see how that may be an inconvenience.' In other words, Samsung doesn't know this is a problem and can't fix it. Good luck.

Contact Samsung Support

Parag Bagade

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Try disabling or force closing all the ocular apps and then connect your charger again if still the problem occurs then try connecting a vr headset to your phone and the problem sud be solved automatically.gud luck.

:

TheGoodNamesAreGone

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my s6 edge back in February. It was working fine, I was browsing the Internet at the time, got a call on the home phone so I put my s6e in my pocket, and when I went to use it again it had that same black screen and x. I had tried the hard reboot and it still had that non responsive screen I couldn't get out ofor. So then I decided to factory reset. Haven't had that happen since. But I'll be watching this thread for possible solutions in case it happens again.

Dani C1

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site

Hello
Is your problem solved?i have the same problem now and i dont know how to fix it :(
Can you please tell me how did you fix it?
I hate my black screen with a small cross on the left side under my phone :(
I have already formated my phone but the problem is back :'(

https://youtu.be/cNf2GwgDFgs
Your answer is this.
Did work with my SAMSUNG S6 active

vishal pursnani

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
just press volume down home and power button together
you'll see that your phone will restart in it's normal state
and by the way the problem is with your charging port so whenever you plug in with some cheap cable it gets into the VR mode and then stucks so get your port checked.
I hope this helps you

Danhall099

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem it started when a new app downloaded called Samsung vr and oculos but I uninstalled them and it's went back to normal it might just be a fluke though hope this helps

Titanfall210

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site

My phone had the same thing I think I figured it out if she would like it might help if you delete any recent app that you might have downloaded in the last 48 hours or the time that you noticed the black screen with the small X on the bottom left-hand corner then there's other stuff that I did as well if that doesn't fix the problem I will also tell you some stuff I did using the virtual reality Samsung I pretty much turned it off and also reset my phone battery was but first just try to delete any unnecessary apps on your phone one at a time my phone had the small X and it wouldn't charge I deleted Amazon and then all the sudden my phone started charging again let me know if it works