Heads up Pop up window

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If you are on the phone in an application such a the browser or YouTube and receive a text message with Lollipop you now get a heads up pop up message. I noticed when someone replies to a group conversation, the pop up window lists everyone in the group conversation thread, but doesn't specify who sent the message. Therefore this makes the option to "reply" via the heads up pop up message useless, since you don't know who you are replying to. I tested it and if you reply, even though everyone in the conversation is listed in the heads up pop up message, the reply only goes to the one individual who replied to the group conversation. This doesn't make sense? Is there a setting to adjust this? Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

Not sure why it's not sending it as a group; in mine it does say who's the sender and reply sends the message to all recipients. If you're using the stock app make sure that in Settings, Multimedia Messages, the GROUP CONVERSATION option is active.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks SpookDroid. I checked and the "Group Conversation" option is active. I also just chatted with a Samsung rep and they told me nothing was wrong with how my phone was operating, but I found that hard to believe. Especially now that you tell me that your text messaging is working differently, I believe that the Samsung rep was mistaken. What version of android are you operating? I currently have 5.0.2 on my S6 ACTIVE.

Just to be clear though if I go into the stock messaging app thread and reply the application is performing properly. The issue is when I select "reply" via the pop up aka heads-up message that comes down from the top of the screen.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm on 5.0.1, but again, a Note 4 (and a T-Mobile one at that). Different carriers mess up different things on their versions, and most of the time they do tinker with the messaging app. Have you tried using a different messaging app? Maybe Google's Messenger? I use Hangouts as the default, but that doesn't have the Reply buttons from the expandable notifications (go figure!).

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Does it behave differently for the same group message when in the application and not just the pop up? You might be seeing the usual group message problem with iphone users (assuming they are iphone users- iMessage junk)

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It works fine when in the message itself. Just doesn't work properly or at least it's designed poorly when "reply" is done via the "heads up" message.

Thanks for the replies.