Fix for Galaxy S6 Memory Issues?

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Those of you who have read a couple of threads here will know that I haven't had the best time with my S6. I even moved to another phone, thinking that would solve it.

It did, but that's irrelevant.

I love the S6, The hardware is beautiful, the software is ... unique. I just don't know if I can go through a night with the issues I was having. And so I'm asking the people here to help me out. My biggest problem with memory isn't that things open again when multitasking fails, that's to be expected. My problems came, multiple times, when the app I was using was summarily kicked out of memory.

These aren't poorly coded apps, either. One of them was me running YouTube in the background. Another of them was PocketCasts. PodCast addict did the same, but it's another podcast app so I don't put much into that one. The weird thing is that the Samsung Browser didn't have to reload those times, even though I wasn't using that and I was using the apps in question.

Any help is appreciated.

jonrmojr10

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I use both Podcast Addict and Pocketcast and neither one of them get kicked out of the background for me. In fact, On my commute to and from work (30 minute commute), I listen to a podcast (right now it's Serial) and have Waze running at the same time. Other times I have Spotify running with Waze. During this I have calls and text messages and other notifications going all without a hitch. The "memory leak" is not an issue, it was coded by Samsung to work that way. Blame it on poor optimization. The phone is fast and works well, but I think it needs 4 gigs of memory to run the way we want it to and still be as smooth as it is. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I think.

Posted via the Android Central App

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I use both Podcast Addict and Pocketcast and neither one of them get kicked out of the background for me. In fact, On my commute to and from work (30 minute commute), I listen to a podcast (right now it's Serial) and have Waze running at the same time. Other times I have Spotify running with Waze. During this I have calls and text messages and other notifications going all without a hitch. The "memory leak" is not an issue, it was coded by Samsung to work that way. Blame it on poor optimization. The phone is fast and works well, but I think it needs 4 gigs of memory to run the way we want it to and still be as smooth as it is. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I think.

So what would you suggest I do if I start having those issues?

jonrmojr10

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
So what would you suggest I do if I start having those issues?

I would suggest, if your problems are causing your phone to be unusable, you reset your phone. However, if you don't want to, it's not a complete must. Other than that, I keep a good hand on managing my multitasking. Any tabs I'm not using and won't need again that day or later on, I close. That alone has kept my phone more responsive. I don't suggest downloading a memory management app. Those are counterintuitive, because killing the apps completely ends up using more battery. Also, keeping apps that you don't need to run in the background (like multiple weather apps) will help conserve memory usage. Try to use just one of a specific app for your phone. If it's not an app that came on the phone and/or you can't delete or disable it, go into the app and turn the refresh rate off or to the longest time possible. Turn the notifications off. Remember! I'm only talking about the apps that you don't need or don't use. If you do use the app but not very much, you can still turn the refresh rate to something like every hour or so. Also, every few days, it would be good for you to turn your phone off, even if for just a split second, and turn it back on. This is honestly the only things I do. My phone was acting really laggy after about a week of having it. I did a reset and started doing what I've just explained, and I've never had a problem since. Hope this helps.

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest, if your problems are causing your phone to be unusable, you reset your phone. However, if you don't want to, it's not a complete must. Other than that, I keep a good hand on managing my multitasking. Any tabs I'm not using and won't need again that day or later on, I close. That alone has kept my phone more responsive. I don't suggest downloading a memory management app. Those are counterintuitive, because killing the apps completely ends up using more battery. Also, keeping apps that you don't need to run in the background (like multiple weather apps) will help conserve memory usage. Try to use just one of a specific app for your phone. If it's not an app that came on the phone and/or you can't delete or disable it, go into the app and turn the refresh rate off or to the longest time possible. Turn the notifications off. Remember! I'm only talking about the apps that you don't need or don't use. If you do use the app but not very much, you can still turn the refresh rate to something like every hour or so. Also, every few days, it would be good for you to turn your phone off, even if for just a split second, and turn it back on. This is honestly the only things I do. My phone was acting really laggy after about a week of having it. I did a reset and started doing what I've just explained, and I've never had a problem since. Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21