Hopefully someone can help me with this. I have an ATT branded S6 and I will be travelling to Canada for just a week. Besides buying an ATT international plan for a month, what are my other options if any? I will mostly use WiFi when available but I will need to rely on my phone's GPS to get around. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
    06-27-2015 02:16 PM
    If you're not making phone calls or using mobile data (you can download maps on wifi and use them on the road), nothing.

Otherwise, ask AT&T to give you the unlock code and, when you get to Canada, find a prepay that runs on a carrier that your phone can use for data (Telus, Clearnet, Koodo, Public Mobile, SaskTel, MTS, Mobilicity). (Rogers should give you 3G, but not 4G.)
    06-27-2015 02:48 PM
    Call AT&T and request a SIM unlock code for your phone. That will allow you to use any GSM carrier service outside of the US. If you do use a GSM carrier though, I think the data is limited to 3G speeds which is the only downside. But that way you don't even need to pay the $90 international plan from AT&T.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S6
    06-27-2015 04:21 PM
    Call AT&T and request a SIM unlock code for your phone. That will allow you to use any GSM carrier service outside of the US. If you do use a GSM carrier though, I think the data is limited to 3G speeds which is the only downside. But that way you don't even need to pay the $90 international plan from AT&T.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S6
    International plans are expensive and I was fortunate that my company paid my phone bill for two weeks in London. It was over $600 for calls home. I turned my phone off in transit to London. If I was making a call, it was off. If someone calls, charges start from the time it rings through the voice-mail. You get charged for checking it. Obviously because data is being consumed so not the most cost effective way.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    06-28-2015 01:17 PM
    Welcome!
    06-28-2015 06:29 PM
    Hopefully someone can help me with this. I have an ATT branded S6 and I will be travelling to Canada for just a week. Besides buying an ATT international plan for a month, what are my other options if any? I will mostly use WiFi when available but I will need to rely on my phone's GPS to get around. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Download "Here Maps", download the maps for Canada and then use your device fully offline with Nokia's offline navigation.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-28-2015 07:02 PM