Ready to Jump Again

Charles Collins

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
My GS6 is now 2 mos old, after 6 mos with a Note 4. TMO'S newest Jump seems to provide an out, that I'll exercise tomorrow. I can't abide Samsung's horrid software anymore. The Note 4 was very good until Lollipop. The GS6 feels nice, takes great photos but I don't want an iPhone with crappy software.

It's a shame there isn't a GPE program anymore... I will be saying hello to the Nexus 6 tomorrow and reaping the benefits of software/hardware optimization.

Posted via Gold 64GB Galaxy S6

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Funny you say that , as much as I love the build and camera of the S6 I am typing this on a G4 I just picked up today .

I can't pin what it is but there is something about the S6 that I find myself still looking constantly at other devices which tell me I am not fully satisfied.

A friend has a nexus and he loves it, its great , just tad to big for me so I opted to try the G4.

Good luck and enjoy your device.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of taking the hit and getting rid of my Galaxy S6 for the LG G4. The lag and having to reboot every few days is unacceptable. Hard to believe with all of the high end specs of the S6 it runs like crap.

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Y'all that are thinking about a G4 should jump over to the G4 forum and read around for a while.
I have a G3 and almost pulled the trigger on a G4, however now thinking about a S6 Edge.
You'll find the same problems (on the forum) with the G4 as you see here in the S6 forum.
Most, if not all of the problems are on carrier phones and are caused by the crap that the carriers install, modify and delete.
Check on the G4 forum there is a article about what Verizon removed from the LG G4 for instance.
Also Verizon seems to be having, by and far, the most problems with the G4 and G3. I haven't been here (S6 and S6 Edge forums) long enough to see if that's a pattern.
I almost always get international, unlocked, non-carrier phones and have never had any of the problems I see posted, plus nothing has been carrier removed from the phones, for instance I have the FM radio on my G3. I'm on AT&T and have never had a problem
You'll find, on the G4 forums, lags, short battery life, hot phones, touch screen problems, just to name a few. Same on the G3 forum. I
Again, I have no problem with my international G3 running on AT&T.

Fred

Charles Collins

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Fred,
Those are great points. Unlocked phones are far and away a better experience. That said, with TMO's Jump program, I am able to get a brand new phone every six months. So I am able to make a pick of what I think are the best Fall & Spring flagship releases. I have disposable income but my wife would skin me alive for buying outright a new handset every six months. What I am after is a more flawless software experience. I still believe that my LG G2 was the best phone I've had of the past four.

I didn't like LG's UI but when Google released the Google Now launcher, that was solved for me.

My One M8's camera didn't have enough megapixels, the battery was atrocious, and the bezels were ridiculously large.

My Note 4 was a laggy mess from the outset, even with a big battery the battery life wasn't good. Great screen, great camera, but Touchwiz is crap and the Lollipop update basically ruined it.

My only real complaint with my GS6 is the ****e battery life, the fact that it's slippery isn't a deal breaker. Touchwiz is the best it's ever been but that's damning with faint praise.

Truth be told, I should've just waited a couple of weeks this past fall and grabbed the Nexus 6 rather than the Note 4.

lutin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I will be saying hello to the Nexus 6 tomorrow and reaping the benefits of software/hardware optimization.

Not too sure about the hardware/software optimisation...

The website tomshardware recently did some real world speed tests (gaming, opening pdf, opening camera etc), Here is how the phones tested ranked:

1st : S6
2nd: G4
3rd: iPhone 6
4th: HTC One M9
5th: Nexus 6
6th: Asus Zenphone 2

From androidauthority (which links to the tomshardware post):
"Another contentious point worth noting is that the stock Android Google Nexus 6 came in last in the majority of the real world tests, consistently opening apps much slower than all of the other handsets".

The Samsung Galaxy S6 Is The World’s Fastest Smartphone

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking of taking the hit and getting rid of my Galaxy S6 for the LG G4. The lag and having to reboot every few days is unacceptable. Hard to believe with all of the high end specs of the S6 it runs like crap.

Not everyone is having this, I'm not on my VZW S6. Either you have a hardware issue, you have apps that are misbehaving, or your carrier has a problem with their release of Android. Doubt it is hardware. You probably have cleared cache, but if not I'd suggest that.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I just returned 2 G4's due overheating and touch screen sensitivity. I just ordered a galaxy 6 and I'm scared after reading all the similar complaints. If this doesn't work out then I'm going back to the iPhone 6.

Charles Collins

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
No not everyone is having this issue but the need to reboot near daily is endemic to all carrier releases - I'll level that blame on Google and Lollipop's memory leak. The hardware on the GS6 is stellar, I've ;argely no complaints. Great screen, great camera, a well sized and well balanced . The problem is software - combine TouchWiz with Lollipop and you get a steaming pile of hot mess.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
No not everyone is having this issue but the need to reboot near daily is endemic to all carrier releases - I'll level that blame on Google and Lollipop's memory leak. The hardware on the GS6 is stellar, I've ;argely no complaints. Great screen, great camera, a well sized and well balanced . The problem is software - combine TouchWiz with Lollipop and you get a steaming pile of hot mess.

Perhaps I'm dodging the problem by using Nova Launcher Prime.

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps I'm dodging the problem by using Nova Launcher Prime.
It's funny reading all the complaints...I have note 4 had s4 and s3 and never had any problems, yes I do use Nova pro and love it or Hola launchers.
I think for most part ppl don't know how to optimize there phone set everything up and make it work. Android gives us the freedom to make it our own but do agree can be a pain for some if not most.
My Note 4 is taking a brake as I'm on a Sony M4 aqua a budget phone and seeing how it compares...... So far OK.

I find best is not to read to much into what ppl say cos it's just there own opinion and experience based on there likes and hate for the device they have.

I love my Samsung and have a soft spot for Sony, Motorola also...LG not so much based on my experience but that is just me lol

Sent from my E2306 using Tapatalk

dougie1792

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I love my s6 and runs great and does everything that I want.
And some of the problems with the s6 is because of Google not samsung

posted from my beautiful GalaxyS6 64gb gold -at&t-

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I spoke to a Verizon tech on the phone and they told me that there is an issue where Vine is causing RAM issues on the galaxy s6. I found that explanation hard to believe since I had read absolutely nothing online about that and I never use Vine and I have never seen that running in the background. So I uninstalled it nevertheless to see if it makes a difference. Thoughts? Has anybody ever heard of Vine causing RAM problems?

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I spoke to a Verizon tech on the phone and they told me that there is an issue where Vine is causing RAM issues on the galaxy s6. I found that explanation hard to believe since I had read absolutely nothing online about that and I never use Vine and I have never seen that running in the background. So I uninstalled it nevertheless to see if it makes a difference. Thoughts? Has anybody ever heard of Vine causing RAM problems?

There are lots of apps. Like vine, pinterest, Facebook, etc. Mostly because people have them auto sync and push notifications like once an hour or more. This uses precious resources, including RAM.

Posted via the Android Central App

ron561

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't buy anything that sys the S6. Is the fastest phone. Sure, it might be faster than other phones at opening apps, but in real world use multi-tasking, we all know it struggles due to Samsung's poor memory management.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My nexus 6 is certainly not better than my Galaxy S6. I have had zero issues with my s6 but then again I usually do not have problems with my devices.

I do not use my Nexus 6 too much anymore except on Wi-Fi. My S6 outperforms my Nexus 6 significantly. Waiting to try out project fi so hanging on to it for now.

Posted via my ZenFone 2!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Not too sure about the hardware/software optimisation...

The website tomshardware recently did some real world speed tests (gaming, opening pdf, opening camera etc), Here is how the phones tested ranked:

1st : S6
2nd: G4
3rd: iPhone 6
4th: HTC One M9
5th: Nexus 6
6th: Asus Zenphone 2

From androidauthority (which links to the tomshardware post):
"Another contentious point worth noting is that the stock Android Google Nexus 6 came in last in the majority of the real world tests, consistently opening apps much slower than all of the other handsets".

The Samsung Galaxy S6 Is The World’s Fastest Smartphone

This is probably due to encryption which is automatically on for the Nexus 6 and cannot be turned off without root and mods.

Posted via my ZenFone 2!