Anyone go back to iPhone after giving the s6 a try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you here - I know you aren't crazy. I had an S6 that lagged when it had been used too much. It would take a long time to open a text or other message. I wanted to chuck it through the wall sometimes. And now I have an S6 Active - guess what? It does the same thing when its taxed. Never saw this with my Nexus 6. So it's going back and I'm most likely firing up the Nexus again.
That's what Jerry Hildenbrand was saying in his recent article about the Nexus 6 being the best smartphone you can get right now. Nothing runs better than a Nexus in the Android universe. My Nexus 6 runs like greased lightning that has had too much caffeine. Never any lag or hitches.
Apple for its speed, stability, updating system and battery life.
See above.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's what Jerry Hildenbrand was saying in his recent article about the Nexus 6 being the best smartphone you can get right now. Nothing runs better than a Nexus in the Android universe. My Nexus 6 runs like greased lightning that has had too much caffeine. Never any lag or hitches.

See above.

Jerry did say that in the recent podcast. He said something along the lines of performance wise it is stellar but admitted the camera is lacking. For some that may not be okay. Just depends on people's needs.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
ill be switching back once the new iphone is out. android maturity is nowhere near where i thought it would be.

my biggest issue now is i think the resale value of the s6 is gonna be terrible, since no one is even buying them new, let alone used in 3-4 months time.

HikenGruven

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Reading these has been interesting as I'm currently using a OG Moto X, but am on the fence between the Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6. I've been on Android since the OG Droid days, but might make the iOS jump. My wife has had one for a number of years and there are some annoyances, but nothing I can't get over. One of the primary reasons being the iPhones smaller size, even so slightly.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
ill be switching back once the new iphone is out. android maturity is nowhere near where i thought it would be.

Agreed. Android has come a long way and for the most part its good but its still very quirky. It just never really feels stable. One day my S6 was performing like a champ the next day its sluggish then back to good again. Its explainable. It was hit or miss everyday. My ringer used to turn on and off for no reason. I set it to vibrate an hour later its on silent and i've missed calls and texts. Thats happened at least 3 times since I've had it. Also happens on my wifes S5. The iPhone is not as feature rich but it does what it does very well. App crashes are very rare, iOS never slows down (at least for me), no random reboots, good battery life. The main things I will miss on the S6 is the double press to launch camera and quick charging. Those are 2 things i wish the iPhone had.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Reading these has been interesting as I'm currently using a OG Moto X, but am on the fence between the Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6. I've been on Android since the OG Droid days, but might make the iOS jump. My wife has had one for a number of years and there are some annoyances, but nothing I can't get over. One of the primary reasons being the iPhones smaller size, even so slightly.

Yea, I do wish the screen was a little bigger, but I didn't get the 6+ because that's just TOO big for me lol

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. Android has come a long way and for the most part its good but its still very quirky. It just never really feels stable. One day my S6 was performing like a champ the next day its sluggish then back to good again. Its unexplainable. It was hit or miss everyday. My ringer used to turn on and off for no reason. I set it to vibrate an hour later its on silent and i've missed calls and texts. Thats happened at least 3 times since I've had it. The iPhone is not as feature rich but it does what it does very well. App crashes are very rare, iOS never slows down (at least for me), no random reboots, good battery life. The main things I will miss on the S6 is the double press to launch camera and quick charging. Those are 2 things i wish the iPhone had.

Yea, I agree about the double click for the camera. Also, the picture quality on the s6 was definitely better than the iphone. Fast charging would be nice but not if it heats up the phone like it did on my s6 :/ i also miss being able to customize it, like with a launcher or texting app, but oh well. I just like having a phone that runs smoothly and doesn't require me to constantly monitor the battery and make changes just to try and extend the battery life even a little.

HikenGruven

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Ha, the 6+ is just over the top, for me at least. Then again, all the big phones are. I just wish I could get a decent vanilla Android at 4.7 inches.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Yea, I agree about the double click for the camera. Also, the picture quality on the s6 was definitely better than the iphone. Fast charging would be nice but not if it heats up the phone like it did on my s6 :/ i also miss being able to customize it, like with a launcher or texting app, but oh well. I just like having a phone that runs smoothly and doesn't require me to constantly monitor the battery and make changes just to try and extend the battery life even a little.

Your last sentence hit the nail on the head. Thats what it really boiled down to for me. I was tired of constantly monitoring my battery status, see what apps are using battery, checking standby time and awake time etc. I really thought the S6 was going to be the phone that kept me away from iPhone for good but I guess not.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Your last sentence hit the nail on the head. Thats what it really boiled down to for me. I was tired of constantly monitoring my battery status, see what apps are using battery, checking standby time and awake time etc. I really thought the S6 was going to be the phone that kept me away from iPhone for good but I guess not.

Yup. I figured "ok, i'll do this in the beginning so i'll just make some adjustments and it'll be good." But no, I had to do it every day. So much of my time was spent just checking the battery usage, to the point where I would check my phone just to see how much battery had been used after an hour. It's too much for me. I can understand why people enjoy being able to customize their phone, but for me it's just not worth it. I want a phone I can actually enjoy without having to keep my eye on the battery at all times. Plus, the battery drained extremely fast in my house because we have poor service. It would drain like crazy just sitting there without even being used. My iphone's battery only goes down about 2% during the night while I'm sleeping, whereas the s6 would go down like 13%, and even more when i would use it for about 10 minutes before leaving my house

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yup. I figured "ok, i'll do this in the beginning so i'll just make some adjustments and it'll be good." But no, I had to do it every day. So much of my time was spent just checking the battery usage, to the point where I would check my phone just to see how much battery had been used after an hour. It's too much for me. I can understand why people enjoy being able to customize their phone, but for me it's just not worth it. I want a phone I can actually enjoy without having to keep my eye on the battery at all times. Plus, the battery drained extremely fast in my house because we have poor service. It would drain like crazy just sitting there without even being used. My iphone's battery only goes down about 2% during the night while I'm sleeping, whereas the s6 would go down like 13%, and even more when i would use it for about 10 minutes before leaving my house

That's one thing iPhone definitely gets right. Standby time. Also, things like texting don't really drain the battery much. On the other hand, games and heavy browsing kills it faster than my Android phone does. I'm just glad I have both the iPhone 6 and M9 to switch between. I think I'll just alternate upgrades each year between the 2 OSes. I was upgrading iPhones every year, so I'll just switch up to iPhone one year and Android the next. That way I'll have an up to date device on each platform. I'm one of the few, but I honestly love both platforms.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I often switch between iOS and android but always favoured iOS slightly. I'm gonna jailbreak my ip6 tonight and if it proves stable I think I may be happy with just the one phone at last (which will probably last all of a week to be fair)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I often switch between iOS and android but always favoured iOS slightly. I'm gonna jailbreak my ip6 tonight and if it proves stable I think I may be happy with just the one phone at last (which will probably last all of a week to be fair)

You sound like me. I put my Sim in my iPhone about a week ago saying I was gonna get an Apple Watch and stick with iOS. 4 days later I was back with my M9+360 combo. :)

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Jailbroke my iPhone 6 last week and honestly havent touched my S6 since. All of the customization and many other features I enjoyed on android I now have on my iP6. Seems very stable so far.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Jailbroke my iPhone 6 last week and honestly havent touched my S6 since. All of the customization and many other features I enjoyed on android I now have on my iP6. Seems very stable so far.

Currently waiting for the parallels trial to download so I can jailbreak tonight. It's 22:14 and it's only at 35%. Then have to dl iTunes, taig and any ipsw required. Man this is gonna be a looooooong night lol. Please feel free to throw any advice my way to read while I'm waiting

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. Android has come a long way and for the most part its good but its still very quirky. It just never really feels stable. One day my S6 was performing like a champ the next day its sluggish then back to good again. Its explainable. It was hit or miss everyday. My ringer used to turn on and off for no reason. I set it to vibrate an hour later its on silent and i've missed calls and texts. Thats happened at least 3 times since I've had it. Also happens on my wifes S5. The iPhone is not as feature rich but it does what it does very well. App crashes are very rare, iOS never slows down (at least for me), no random reboots, good battery life. The main things I will miss on the S6 is the double press to launch camera and quick charging. Those are 2 things i wish the iPhone had.

I completely agree with this point. The inconsistency annoys me too. Sometimes I will get 6-7 hours of screen on time and the very next day I wouldget only 4-5 hours of screen on time on the S6 doing the EXACT SAME THING like wtf. Whereas on my six plus I average 10 or more hours of screen on time every day. Every charge. A little bit less since the release of 8.4 as the phone is now faster. But it's CONSISTENT

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Though some may view it as a fluke or momentary aberration. It could be a trend or short lived.

Samsung overtakes Apple to become the best-selling phone maker in the US

In any event, both companies make great devices and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

I expected news like this. When I went to the movies on Monday I saw not one not two but THREE ads for the iPhone 6. I had never seen so many ads for it ever. The most logical conclusion for me was that the s6 must currently be outselling it

Janet OSully

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I finally managed to follow all suggestions and get somewhat decent battery life from my s6...but still no where near my daughter's IP6. And I NEED to have location off, bluetooth off, all syncs off, screen at 25%, and so many other adjustments its absurd. I love samsung software but they really didn't do a great job here. The update yesterday to 5.0.2 did nothing worthwhile I can see. Disappointing.

Posted via the Android Central App

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I finally managed to follow all suggestions and get somewhat decent battery life from my s6...but still no where near my daughter's IP6. And I NEED to have location off, bluetooth off, all syncs off, screen at 25%, and so many other adjustments its absurd. I love samsung software but they really didn't do a great job here. The update yesterday to 5.0.2 did nothing worthwhile I can see. Disappointing.

Posted via the Android Central App

I think Samsung makes great components, but somehow can't seem to put it all together right themselves. I think they try to add too much, and don't have enough focus. Maybe it's just me, but I think software is their weakest point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21