Anyone go back to iPhone after giving the s6 a try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Jailbreaking actually can't brick the device. Apple devices are very hard to brick. If a JB goes bad you simply slap it on itunes and factory reset it then you are good to go.

Ehhh... Idk. I googled and see stories about jailbreaking causing the phone to brick. I don't want to try it, especially since I just got this phone a week ago x__x

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Actually it is BOTH their faults because that means Samsung gave my phone company the incorrect phone radio for 4g coverage and they BOTH need to work together to get a fix out

Not necessarily. Your phone company can just as easily have borked the software for it with the right radio in it.

AT&T did this on the Captivate and again on the Note II and flashing a different radio software fixed the problem after rooting it. When a carrier is involved, they are the ones who have the final responsibility to ensure that the reception is passable, not Samsung. Been down this road before with Samsung on both of those which is why I gave up on them pushing out a fix for this issue and dealt with the carrier.

You need to take video of your signal deficiencies against another phone on the same carrier side by side and force them to escalate your claims. It has worked wonders for me before getting completely out of faulty phones and into something else.

As aggravating as it is if you remain calm and professional about it, and can provide proof then they will have no choice but to remedy this for you, at least in the USA, so if you aren't then I don't know what else to say except that I am sorry you are having some serious problems.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ehhh... Idk. I googled and see stories about jailbreaking causing the phone to brick. I don't want to try it, especially since I just got this phone a week ago x__x

They probably jailbroke and they did some extra stuff to cause it. I used to be on iPhone and JB a lot -- a simple restore via iTunes works due to it wiping the entire phone / re-doing the software.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Just out of curiosity why do you refuse to jailbreak? I did mine last week it literally took 5 mins and you can customize the hell out of it once your're done.

I just prefer to use the phone the way it was intended. I have concerns that jailbreaking opens up potential leakage points for hacking opportunities and when i used to jailbreak (long time ago) i couldnt get app updates while the device was jail broken (not sure if this is still the case). Plus, you wont get the OS updates either...just a hassle and not using the device for how it was intended.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just prefer to use the phone the way it was intended. I have concerns that jailbreaking opens up potential leakage points for hacking opportunities and when i used to jailbreak (long time ago) i couldnt get app updates while the device was jail broken (not sure if this is still the case). Plus, you wont get the OS updates either...just a hassle and not using the device for how it was intended.

You can still update apps and you will still get OS updates. It just breaks JB when you get an OS update just like root breaks from OTA OS updates on Android.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

You can still get app updates but I can understand where you're coming from. Jailbreaking has come a long way probably since the last time you used it. Its not nearly as much of a hassle as it used to be. Like I said mine took 5 minutes..literally and some of the new tweaks that have come out are so awesome it makes your iPhone 10x better.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
You can still get app updates but I can understand where you're coming from. Jailbreaking has come a long way probably since the last time you used it. Its not nearly as much of a hassle as it used to be. Like I said mine took 5 minutes..literally and some of the new tweaks that have come out are so awesome it makes your iPhone 10x better.

how did u do it?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a 6 +, running 8.4 and I don't think it's possible to root or jailbreak as it hasn't been configured yet for this level of upgrade. if it were possible I would try it because the iPhone definitely needs a breath of fresh air. the stale, mundane-ness of the iPhone OS is what keeps me on Android.

gazoo2010

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a 6 +, running 8.4 and I don't think it's possible to root or jailbreak as it hasn't been configured yet for this level of upgrade. if it were possible I would try it because the iPhone definitely needs a breath of fresh air. the stale, mundane-ness of the iPhone OS is what keeps me on Android.

iOS 8.4 can be jailbroken. Here is the link to the tool:

http://www.taig.com/en/

~S

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
iOS 8.4 can be jailbroken. Here is the link to the tool:

http://www.taig.com/en/

~S
Thanks, but I may still be left out as I don't have a windows PC, only a mac book. I didn't see a macbook method just windows. Did I miss it? I see it's possible using virtual machine. I may have to wait for them to get it mac compatible. I'm not that computer savvy and don't really feel all that comfy putting all that on a pristine macbook. Thanks, for the info tho.

Last edited:

ukSamo

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I've had an iPhone 4s then 5s and upgraded to a GS6 a few weeks ago. After 4 days I got very close to returning it and waiting for the 6s but glad I didn't. My main issue was poor battery life, but after persistence there were 2 primary causes of the drain, the first and biggest was Google Nows location tracking feature, I have GPS location enabled and drive around most of the day, as soon as I disabled this feature the battery life gained hours. The second was screen brightness, I had it noticeably brighter than my 5s and had to turn it down a lot to match it. Something to be aware of is amoled screens light each pixel and theres a hell of a lot of pixels in these devices, the same as a high quality 27" monitor! The brighter the screen the more power it sucks, this could explain the irregular power use some are seeing, e.g. Facebook with a lot of white pixels will use more power than a dark scene within a film. I also had a lot of stuttering, especially on this site, but since clearing my Chrome cache things seem a lot smoother. The memory leaks of 5.0.2 is my only real complaint now, almost every web page needs to refresh when switching between tabs which is really annoying, hopefully 5.1.1 will help when my network eventually releases it. I also didn't like touch wiz, not sure if it was the animations or something else, however Nova launchers superb and solved that issue completely. Loving it now, wouldn't go back unless the 6S has something very special.

ron561

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I've had an iPhone 4s then 5s and upgraded to a GS6 a few weeks ago. After 4 days I got very close to returning it and waiting for the 6s but glad I didn't. My main issue was poor battery life, but after persistence there were 2 primary causes of the drain, the first and biggest was Google Nows location tracking feature, I have GPS location enabled and drive around most of the day, as soon as I disabled this feature the battery life gained hours. The second was screen brightness, I had it noticeably brighter than my 5s and had to turn it down a lot to match it. Something to be aware of is amoled screens light each pixel and theres a hell of a lot of pixels in these devices, the same as a high quality 27" monitor! The brighter the screen the more power it sucks, this could explain the irregular power use some are seeing, e.g. Facebook with a lot of white pixels will use more power than a dark scene within a film. I also had a lot of stuttering, especially on this site, but since clearing my Chrome cache things seem a lot smoother. The memory leaks of 5.0.2 is my only real complaint now, almost every web page needs to refresh when switching between tabs which is really annoying, hopefully 5.1.1 will help when my network eventually releases it. I also didn't like touch wiz, not sure if it was the animations or something else, however Nova launchers superb and solved that issue completely. Loving it now, wouldn't go back unless the 6S has something very special.

That isn't memory leak you are experiencing. That is a Samsung/Touch Wiz issue that has not been fixed even after 5.1.1. The only way to fix is through root.

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Aaaaw c'mon. All these 'ex' iphone fanboys trying to put down the GS6 with it's 'freezes' 'lock-ups' 'short battery life' complaints....GET REAL!

I've had umpteen recent Android phones of various makes....and they just don't happen anymore (mbe in the VERY early days of Android...and I mean 'VERY' early....) but no more than my friends' iPhones do nowadays. I really can't remember the last time I've had ANY phone 'lock-up' on me lately tbh.

If I went over to the IP....I'd have a massive learning curve too....(why can't I just Wifi this song to my PC FFS???)

The argument of Android being a bit flakey but IP's being 'rock solid' has now become obsolete I'm afraid...choose your OS and live with it, or if you're gonna change, give it a few months to adapt to the new way of doing things....

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I view the current android vs iOS mobile landscape quite similar to the PC/Mac situation. I'm a PC guy mainly because of the cost of Macbooks. But because Windows PCs are largely at the mercy of numerous OEM's, the quality just isn't up there with the macbook.

Too bad there's not a $300-400 android phone with a great low light camera that wasn't full of compromises

De Venton

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Most people don't know how to setup an android phone and that is the problem for iPhone switchers. Every phone I get I install Nova launcher, Textra for messaging, and the Google keyboard. If you run those your phone will not lag a bit and they are way better than what any oem gives you. Also, get the S6 active. I can't give up water resistance and remote control at this stage, plus you get the larger battery and shock resistance.

Posted via the Android Central App

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Most people don't know how to setup an android phone and that is the problem for iPhone switchers. Every phone I get I install Nova launcher, Textra for messaging, and the Google keyboard. If you run those your phone will not lag a bit and they are way better than what any oem gives you. Also, get the S6 active. I can't give up water resistance and remote control at this stage, plus you get the larger battery and shock resistance.

I disagree with this statement. No one should have to install 3rd party apps for main phone features to make it work right. Your just proving their point. It's awesome that we have these options, but in no means should it be necessary to have the phone working properly.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with this statement. No one should have to install 3rd party apps for main phone features to make it work right. Your just proving their point. It's awesome that we have these options, but in no means should it be necessary to have the phone working properly.

That's the key difference between the ecosystems that we have options to tweak the device to suit our individual needs and preferences. Third party software can take this to another level of more specialized customization.These device customizations are available as options. You don't need them for the GS6 to function properly. Having a tightly controlled ecosystem does have the advantage of more optimized performance and fewer bugs but the trade off is the limited ability to make the device truly unique and individualized. At a certain point, the Android system will mature and bring the same level of optimization without sacrificing customization. At the end of the day, it's all about what works best for you.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site

I had all three of those apps and still had constant lag

De Venton

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Did you disable the bloatware? That also must be done. Carriers like to load these up but iPhone don't get that junk which is part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.