Anyone go back to iPhone after giving the s6 a try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Is that a new change in iOS 9? I know on my iPhone 6+ I could choose between the last 24 hours and the past 7 days of battery usage.

I definitely agree with you in one way though. I would much prefer it if apple made the battery stats for the time off the charge and not the 24hours/7 days thing that they have currently. It would be a lot easier to show and compare battery life. But what I meant was there is no way of knowing what the rest of the screen on time was for the other 17 hours off the charger that wasn't included in the 24 hour battery stats. If it was 5 hours in the 24 hours in the stats the other 5 hours could have been in the other 17 hours but because ios are annoying and only show the battery stats for the last 24 hours and not the time off the charger there is no way of knowing. They are going in the right direction though by showing exactly what the battery is doing in that time. I'm becoming very impressed in the direction apple is going with ios9. All the Android fans are going to say "Oh but Android already does that" yes it may and that's why I have BOTH an android device AND an iOS device. Because I like both for different reasons.

With the new back feature in apps for when you get notifications (this feature I am in love with) apple is starting to implement more and more things like Android and it is going to make my decision extremely difficult next year trying to choose between the iPhone 7+ and Samsung S7. Especially if ios continue to go in the direction they are currently going in by implementing more Android style features. That means that it could end up being the best of both operating systems. I'm VERY interested to see what apple will come up with with the updates after ios9 and ios10

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
my s6 cant even handle spotify playing smoothly while doing other tasks on the phone. terrible device and cant wait to go back to iphone when the new version is out.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I currently have both... the S6 and iPhone 6 Plus, swapping my AT&T sim between them at leisure. I like to use both OS's from time to time, and I've found many things to like about both phones.

I've always found iPhones to have the best cameras - and the 6 Plus definitely has a good one - but the Galaxy S6 camera is a step above IMO. Why? It has more resolution without sacrificing low-light performance. It has a faster aperture, which equates to significantly brighter video capture in my experience. And it has a camera app with a lot more features and customizations. The iPhone still has better pano phones though.

Battery life on my iPhone 6 Plus is phenomenal, lasting an entire day even under heavy use. I use the thing for Hotspot a lot because it'll last forever. The S6, on the other hand, is really pretty terrible with a battery that does not get me through an entire day. Sometimes it doesn't even last 8-10 hours of moderate use, and when using the camera, it drops very quickly. Then again, the 6 Plus is a lot bigger so I'm intrigued to see how the S6 Edge+ fares when it comes out pretty soon.

Build quality on both phones is great. I like the home button on the iPhone better - it just feels higher quality. Fingerprint sensors on both phones work great! The materials used are quite nice on both phones. Not sure which I prefer, actually. I really like the glass on the S6, especially how it seems to change color depending on the lighting. Both phones are pretty slippery, but I don't like using cases unless I'm on a trip or doing something active.

iOS has some advantages, such as a more unified ecosystem, some apps that are better than their Android counterparts, and efficient power handling. However, it has gotten buggier the last year or two with Apple adding tons of new features without having enough time to test them thoroughly. Android, on the other hand, has gotten more stable, smoother, and prettier. I still don't like OEM skins, but at the least the S6 one isn't too bad this time around. Still, Apple has the advantage of not having to put carrier crap on their phones and being able to update everyone at the same time.

So you asked the question... does the S6 make me want to go back to my iPhone? Well since I have both, I already do that from time to time. However, I'm mostly using the S6 as my daily driver because I just like using Android right now, and because I like the camera better. So I'm actually more excited about the S6 Edge+ than I am the iPhone 6S Plus but we'll have to see!

iFrosty

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have both devices and i understand the struggle. My 6+ is jailbroken which makes it even more difficult. However i have decided to stick with the s6 (mine is the edge) over the 6+ for a few reasons.
1) Ergonomics. The s6 is way better in my hand than the 6+ and i have massive hands at that. 5.1 is plenty big as is compared to 5.7 (and im sure she said that too)
2)I still strive to make my iphone an android especially with it jailbroken.
What i mean here is setting custom notification sounds on a per app basis, adding new elements to the home screen, bluetooth file sharing, etc.
3)Changing default apps.

I have more examples to state but im sure the idea is present.
I do miss some things of iOS (imessage, itunes store NOT program, and immediate (albeit my choice) of software updates) but those are small prices to pay when i have a device that from hardware and even software is superior.

For those with battery in mind:
It ultimately comes down to you and how you use your device. I have superb battery life on my Edge and with quick charge at my disposal i couldn't even worry.
Here are some tips:
Stop using Facebook and Messenger apps. Use the mobile browser and make a shortcut. That right there is enough to fix half your issues.
Turn location off unless needed.
Use some stock apps over third party apps. For example i use the stock browser over anything else eapecially chrome. Bleh. Chrome is overrated and still crashes like no tomorrow on my edge.

I could go on but i figured i have stated enough.

Have fun and make a choice with plans on sticking with it.

Sent from The Edge™

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Using Facebook makes no difference whatsoever to battery life from my experience. I thought it would so I uninstalled it but couldn't see any difference to the battery life so I ended up reinstalling it. Carbon on the other hand compared to the official twitter app on Android is heaven. I just have to figure out how to quote tweets which I still have no idea how to do ^

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
How much screen on time is this showing?

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

I already explained why it doesn't show the entire ten hours of screen on time. I had the phone off the charger for 41 hours. Ios only shows the usage for the last 24 hours. Therefore the usage for the other remaining 17 hours wasnt shown

ronnienyc

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
I have both the iPhone 6 and the S6.
My MINT S6 is now on craigslist, and it won't even fetch $400! Wow. Earlier Galaxy phones were much easier to sell, that is for sure.

Reasons for sticking with the iPhone - even though I feel that Android is more capable in many ways:

1. As has been harped upon here and elsewhere, battery life on the S6 is inconsistent, and usually pretty bad.

2. iPhone iOS (while too rigid IMO) is more consistent. Battery life is great. I ALWAYS get 1.5 -2 days out of it without issue.

3. While all the reviews marvel at the S6 screen, it is a lot harder to read outdoors than the iPhone. As I live in CA (land of the sun) outdoor readability matters. S6 looks washed out, iPhone 6 screen is amazing in direct sun - bright, contrasty, and saturated. Also the S6 has bad viewing angles - always looks pink/green in areas, depending on position relative to my eyes. the Note 4 is MUCH better in this regard.
In fact, I would absolutely recommend the Note 4 over the S6! Though it is too large, Note 4 has better battery, better screen, less slippery (especially the black version), etc.

4. I use voice-to-text all the time, and for whatever reason, Apple's is essentially instantaneous, while Android takes some time to think about the transcription. After using the Apple version, the Android lag is rather annoying.

5. And lastly, using iMessage across devices - iPhone, iPad and MacBook is really quite nice. No need to fetch the phone when someone messages me. Attaching photos, etc on iMessage on the computer is great, makes the whole system move valuable than Android where I'd have to cobble something together from various vendors, with varying degrees of success.

So while I WAS switching back and forth between these two phones, But now mostly because of the superior consistency of the iPhone, the Galaxy S6 is up for sale - and surprisingly there is very little interest!

mi7chy

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Strange I don't have any of those issues and I've got the same Verizon Galaxy S6. SoT has been about 5-6 hours (not Galaxy Note good but not bad either), ~5 day standby time, uses ~2% battery overnight, 510 hour uptime, etc. Performance is top notch and gets ~1800 nps on Droidfish chess compared to ~1200 nps on iPhone 6.

Most importantly Android background multitasking works properly unlike iOS. On iOS if I put any app with persistent connection in the background it'll die after 3 minutes so I can't have SSH, telnet, IRC, ftp, ftps, stfp, WebDAV, UPnP media server, security camera client, etc. running in the background.

Last edited:

leebut

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
For $8 you can download the iOS 9 beta. I did and so far I like it. It's a little glitchy sometimes, I'm guessing since its the beta version, but I'm impatient so I downloaded anyway lol👍

You have to pay for a beta OS? Shocking! Buying the phone in the first place should cover that.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I have both iPhone 6 and S6 edge so I switch up here and there. have an active sim in both but I use my S6 as my main phone 90% of the time.
S6 Edge works perfectly for me. zero issues.
I still like my iPhone but I like being able to change my phone up.
after all the recent articles on Nova Prime and Action launcher etc. I actually just added those last night, fun stuff.
Love my S6. The only phone the "could" maybe pull the S6 Edge out of my hand is the Note 5.
But, to be honest, I am enjoying having a 5.1" non phablet. I don't have a Need for the S-pen, but sometimes its just So friggen handy.

Mojofilter9

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I've gone back to an iPhone after a long time away.
Never had an S6 but I've owned a number of Samsung devices (most recently the Note 4) and the reoccurring theme across all of them has been bugs, bugs, bugs.
Lag, sudden battery drains, running warm / hot for no apparent reason, random crashes, half arsed software updates that make the phone worse etc...

iPhone isn't perfect and I prefer the idea of Android, but the reality is that of all my devices my phone is the one that I rely on the most. The most important feature (if you can call it that) is that I can rely on it to work properly all of the time.
I've lost count of the number of times where my sat nav app has crashed when I've needed it the most, where I've thought I've easily had enough battery to last until I get home but then pulled my phone out & 20% has magically disappeared. The list goes on and it's not acceptable.

Looking through these forums it seems a common theme amongst Android phones in general - call me cynical but I think that manufacturers just don't give a [language removed by mod] once they've sold you the phone.
I'm sure Apple are no different in that respect, but the difference is that problems with iPhones make the national mainstream non technology news and they can't sweep it under the carpet, yet when the Lollipop update messed up the Note 4 it didn't even warrant an article on CNET.

Last edited by a moderator:

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Never had an S6 but I've owned a number of Samsung devices (most recently the Note 4) and the reoccurring theme across all of them has been bugs, bugs, bugs.
Lag, sudden battery drains, running warm / hot for no apparent reason, random crashes, half arsed software updates that make the phone worse etc...

iPhone isn't perfect and I prefer the idea of Android, but the reality is that of all my devices my phone is the one that I rely on the most. The most important feature (if you can call it that) is that I can rely on it to work properly all of the time.
Samsung for whatever reason seem incapable of delivering that at the moment, so I'm out for the foreseeable future.

Looking through these forums it seems a common theme amongst Android phones in general - call me cynical but I think that manufacturers just don't give a [language removed by mod] once they've sold you the phone.
I'm sure Apple are no different in that respect, but the difference is that problems with iPhones make the national mainstream non technology news and they can't sweep it under the carpet, yet when the Lollipop update messed up the Note 4 it didn't even warrant an article on CNET.

I disagree with you about apple not caring. I've NEVER experienced better customer service in my life than apple care. Once my phone paid twice for an app and I contacted apple asking about it and within 24 hours had a response from apple telling me that the first lot was to ensure I had money on my card and would be refunded to me. Sure enough the money was soon back in my account and when apple hadn't heard back from me they contacted me of their own volition to ask me if the funds had gone back into my account

Mojofilter9

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with you about apple not caring. I've NEVER experienced better customer service in my life than apple care. Once my phone paid twice for an app and I contacted apple asking about it and within 24 hours had a response from apple telling me that the first lot was to ensure I had money on my card and would be refunded to me. Sure enough the money was soon back in my account and when apple hadn't heard back from me they contacted me of their own volition to ask me if the funds had gone back into my account

I totally take your point, I just disagree about their motives.
I just think that they know that the excellent reputation they have customer service wise creates goodwill, repeat custom and great experiences like yours being shared.
All of that sells phones and makes money.

I don't really care about their motivation tbf- all I care about is my experience as a customer and right now Apple beat every other manufacturer hands down.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I've lost count of the number of times where my sat nav app has crashed when I've needed it the most, where I've thought I've easily had enough battery to last until I get home but then pulled my phone out & 20% has magically disappeared. The list goes on and it's not acceptable.

Android can be great but needs to be massaged. It has so much, especially with carrier add-ons. You have to remove/disable some of those add-ons and turn off certain things when not in use. I did this to my Note 4 and it runs great. I never really used it with the TouchWiz as I'm a Nova Prime girl. Now, I can truly say my Note 4 is all-around great and precisely like I like it.

My iPhone 6 Plus doesn't need that kind of skill to make it run great. It really does just work and it also feels great it my hands. However, I can't personalize it as much on the software side. So you know what we iPhone fans do to customize? We buy cases and switch wallpapers. Hey, don't snicker, it works.

The only way I could have peace was to have and use both. I have two lines with AT&T because I don't have the patience to be switching SIMs. Both Android and iOS big phones. Happiness.

from the Elegance

Mojofilter9

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Android can be great but needs to be massaged. It has so much, especially with carrier add-ons. You have to remove/disable some of those add-ons and turn off certain things when not in use. I did this to my Note 4 and it runs great. I never really used it with the TouchWiz as I'm a Nova Prime girl. Now, I can truly say my Note 4 is all-around great and precisely like I like it.

My iPhone 6 Plus doesn't need that kind of skill to make it run great. It really does just work and it also feels great it my hands. However, I can't personalize it as much on the software side. So you know what we iPhone fans do to customize? We buy cases and switch wallpapers. Hey, don't snicker, it works.

The only way I could have peace was to have and use both. I have two lines with AT&T because I don't have the patience to be switching SIMs. Both Android and iOS big phones. Happiness.

from the Elegance

Having both is 1 solution but my wife would kill me for spending that much!

The only way I got my Note 4 running properly was to root it and install CM. I'd have stuck with that but my mobile banking doesn't work if you root and that's the difference between me properly managing my finances and not. Bit of a deal breaker.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Having both is 1 solution but my wife would kill me for spending that much!

The only way I got my Note 4 running properly was to root it and install CM. I'd have stuck with that but my mobile banking doesn't work if you root and that's the difference between me properly managing my finances and not. Bit of a deal breaker.
Ah. That is one thing I like about not being married yet. I know my day will come when a husband will be wanting to control what I spend.

So, I have to have fun now.

I have not played around with rooting yet but I may one day.

from the Elegance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781