Rene Ritchie (iMore) doesn't understand wireless charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I've had it and returned it once I found out that it does not support quick charge. I don't like the idea of just laying your phone down on a charger just because. I can understand having one bedside but since the phone charges so quickly I find myself sleeping with it and just charging it while I shower and get ready to go to work in the morning. After that I'm good for the rest of the day. I'm not knocking anyone that has one. Good for you buddy👍if you love it. Just expressing my opinion. Never understood the the concept if it doesn't charge as fast of the stock charger.

Concept is: Convenience.

I plop my phone down at night to charge and when i wake up....guess what? It's charged. Never have to plug a cable into my phone unless i want or need to.

Posted via the Android Central App

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
In my experience the lighting plug is so much easier to attach to an iphone than USB to Samsung. Much less wear and tear on the port since it goes in either way. I use wireless charging to avoid having to use the port.

Wireless charging will be cool once apple invents it... lol!

Posted via my ZenFone 2!

On my black Defender I noticed after two months the flap by the charging port is showing wear from being flapped up every night. I now use wireless charging to avoid the issue.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
is this a joke???

a table still needs to have a charger on it which in turn still needs to be plugged in. so in that regard, yes its basically pointless. last time i checked , its not even close to convenient for most peoples coffee tables in their living rooms to have a wire that runs from an outlet somehow to the table and call that 'convenient'.

"literally adds zero time"?? do you not realize how slow it is to charge wirelessly? it isnt even close to being useful in a mainstream way at all. this saves absolutely no time.

when wireless charging is available in more settings and becomes significantly faster, thats when apple will get on board. otherwise right now its just a random talking point added to the s6 for no real reason other than just saying it has wireless charging.

What?

Couch. End table. Charging pad. Wires behind table. Never seen. Period.

Pointless? How's that? You never have to plug the phone in and fumble with wires. That saves you time, your energy, and your charging port.

And for most, it's for topping off and charging over night while you sleep. I don't know about you, but i sure don't care if my phone is at 100% in an hour. ....if im sleeping. Zzzzzzz

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
to be fair he does have a point though. I didn't know until this post that the wireless chargers had to be plugged in in order to be used. What's the difference in plugging in a wireless charger to plugging in the mobile phone. Either way you are still plugging in a device. Oh well saves me money to not buy a wireless charger any time soon

All you have to do it plug in the wireless charger to the wall and never take it off, you dont have to plug it into the wall each time you charge
Once its plugged into the wall, all you do is place your phone on the mat each time....Its especially convenience when you are laying down, just place your phone on the charging pad to charge rather than fumbling for the wire each time you go to bed...even more convenient if you are in bed with the lights off

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Gah! Thanks, I just bought one. Amazon owes you a referral fee!

Oh and why wireless can be better. I have a Nexus 7 that I charged via a standard wired charger on my nightstand. One night I knocked it off and as a result the charging port in the N7 was damaged.

Wireless charging would have resulted in a harmless fall to the carpeted floor.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
That's because you are looking at it like a normal charger and are probably charging your phone like in the past....once it gets low.
But for me, it's for topping off my phone every time I put my phone down. I don't use it to charge it once empty, I use it to top it off from say 60 or 70 percent, or anytime I'm sitting down by my desk or couch.

Then if I get a few texts or a call, I just pick it up and use it, then place it back on the charging pad or stand. It's a different way of thinking about charging. No longer am I charging just when it's low, I now do it when it's resting, thus it's always topped off and ready for a long day out of the house.

This is not for charging when your phone is dead. That's what the quick charger is for. This is so that you never need the quick charger.

Hopefully this helps people stop letting their batteries get so low and/or die. Ideally the battery should never be "conditioned" and should never be below 40% or so, but when below 20% damage to longevity is occurring.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.
That's exactly how I use wireless charging with the devices I have they are supported. I just use them for awhile, and then plop them on the Qi charger and let them stay there until I use them again. I have 2 Qi chargers, one for my nightstand and one for my desk. So my battery always stays charged.

I used to use BlackBerry charging pods for the BlackBerry 9000 and 9700. That's not Qi, but it worked well too.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Wireless isn't better AFAIK; keeping it topped off is. Wireless merely makes it easier to not wear it down. But I'm not sure anyone was getting bent out of shape...

For my devices that don't have wireless charging, I plug them in when I get a chance, like when I'm at my desk or in the car. I also leave them plugged in overnight. But I do the same thing by topping off the battery.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Gah! Thanks, I just bought one. Amazon owes you a referral fee!

Oh and why wireless can be better. I have a Nexus 7 that I charged via a standard wired charger on my nightstand. One night I knocked it off and as a result the charging port in the N7 was damaged.

Wireless charging would have resulted in a harmless fall to the carpeted floor.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
The Nexus 7 2013 version supports wireless charging. That's how I charge mine.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had it and returned it once I found out that it does not support quick charge. I don't like the idea of just laying your phone down on a charger just because. I can understand having one bedside but since the phone charges so quickly I find myself sleeping with it and just charging it while I shower and get ready to go to work in the morning. After that I'm good for the rest of the day. I'm not knocking anyone that has one. Good for you buddy👍if you love it. Just expressing my opinion. Never understood the the concept if it doesn't charge as fast of the stock charger.

Wireless chargers will soon support quick charge...which will make it even better than it is now

Your Qi charger will soon support 15W fast charging | Android Central

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I like Renee... I try and catch him on Mac break weekly w twit.tv
But....watch when apple finally incorporates wireless changing and offers their own proprietary charger, Renee will have a glowing review of it and how it's a convenient accessory to have around.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Wireless isn't better AFAIK; keeping it topped off is. Wireless merely makes it easier to not wear it down. But I'm not sure anyone was getting bent out of shape...

You can say it's not what's better until you're blue in the face. You can say it's all about convenience, and they still won't get it.

But this is the issue....
The thought of topping your phone up instead of charging your phone is an alien concept to some. Until they try it out just seems crazy.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Avoid wireless charging

Wireless charging can be incredibly convenient if your phone can do it, but it's not without its disadvantages. The inductive, wireless chargers out there today have this nasty habit of generating a fair bit of waste heat. And while wasted energy is just a bummer in general, that heat will also toast your battery in the process. That's no bueno. It's a little less convenient, but standard plug-in charging is going to keep your battery in better shape, especially if you're some place warm to begin with.

This is straight from the Gizmodo Web site. So what's worse? Charging the phone at 20% or wireless charging?

So much for the convenience of wirless charging. Lmao.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Avoid wireless charging

Wireless charging can be incredibly convenient if your phone can do it, but it's not without its disadvantages. The inductive, wireless chargers out there today have this nasty habit of generating a fair bit of waste heat. And while wasted energy is just a bummer in general, that heat will also toast your battery in the process. That's no bueno. It's a little less convenient, but standard plug-in charging is going to keep your battery in better shape, especially if you're some place warm to begin with.

This is straight from the Gizmodo Web site. So what's worse? Charging the phone at 20% or wireless charging?

So much for the convenience of wirless charging. Lmao.

Technically using the battery at ALL is bad for the battery. Draining the battery is definitely worse than the slight heat from Wireless charging. My S6 would only charge a degree, two, and sometimes 3 higher than by wire -- Which really isn't that big in the grand scheme of things.

Honestly it is okay if you don't like it .. But you can't tell someone what is convenient for them as if it is a fact. What is convenient for me may not be convenient for you and that is okay.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
On my black Defender I noticed after two months the flap by the charging port is showing wear from being flapped up every night. I now use wireless charging to avoid the issue.

You may want Otterbox to send another silicone case. Mine is still mint.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Technically using the battery at ALL is bad for the battery. Draining the battery is definitely worse than the slight heat from Wireless charging. My S6 would only charge a degree, two, and sometimes 3 higher than by wire -- Which really isn't that big in the grand scheme of things.

Honestly it is okay if you don't like it .. But you can't tell someone what is convenient for them as if it is a fact. What is convenient for me may not be convenient for you and that is okay.

Just saying what I said from the get go. Wireless charging in my opinion is gimmicky. And has been know to cause long term battery damage according to reputable sources. But don't use topping off as a argument when constantly topping off with a wireless charger can cause damage anyway.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just saying what I said from the get go. Wireless charging in my opinion is gimmicky. And has been know to cause long term battery damage according to reputable sources. But don't use topping off as a argument when constantly topping off with a wireless charger can cause damage anyway.

And again what is gimmicky to you .. doesn't mean it is to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis