Rene Ritchie (iMore) doesn't understand wireless charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
No but you can have issues with your micro USB port as many people have.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

Ok this point I 100% agree with. I had a Samsung galaxy s4 and 18 months into the contract the charger port stopped working on my phone. My phone company wanted me to pay $275 to get it repaired and I was terrified of getting another Samsung device and having the same problem happen again. So I got my first apple device ever in the 5c after before only having the S2 and the S4.

So while it would annoy the heck out of me how long the wireless charger would take to charge the phone at least it would have meant that my S4 would no longer be a pretty paperweight unable to be charged.

I was so scared to get another Samsung device because I read the charger port issue was a known fault with Samsung devices. So I got an iPhone six plus. Then when I had to leave my phone company and pay out the six plus only then did I feel safe getting the s6 knowing I would have the six plus should anything go wrong. The charger port issue scared me off that much. To suddenly have a phone that was my only phone as I live on my own with no landline suddenly unable to be used or charged was a terrifying prospect. Thanks for pointing this out. This thought didn't occur to me

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
There is a point to be made that yeah, you are still tied to an outlet with wireless charging but it's mostly a convenience thing. The big help is less stress on the USB port or if the USB port goes out all together you can just get yourself a $10 wireless charger instead of a new $600 phone. I love my iPad but I avoid iMore as much as possible because of articles like this.

If there is a point where tech catches up and we can have a wireless charger that you simply charge once a week and then you can carry it around and wireless charge anywhere and everywhere then that's going to be a big thing

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I think you're missing the point razza...

It's not about what is better, it's about convenience. You are going to take your phone with you to your couch or desk anyway... But now instead of you putting your phone down next to you, you now plop it on a charging pad or stand. (I have a stand at my desk, and a pad by my couch.)

Since we are going to plop it down next to us anyway, why NOT do it on a charging pad? Because now if you do, once you pick up your phone its no longer at the same battery percentage that you left it at. It's now topped off and ready to go and last for a much longer extended time frame.

It's about convenience, not what is better.

Posted via the zenfone 2

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree with some of the earlier posts. It's about convenience. When you are at your desk, chilling after a hard day, or being asleep. Charging speed is irrelevant. The GS6 has a built-in feature allowing owners to charge wherever and whenever the pad is available for use. Apple products simply do not and until they do, just use whatever you are currently using. Personal preferences are key but to nit pick on a situation that is what it is wastes time.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I see no benefit in it especially if both need to be plugged in and the wireless charger takes forever to charge the device whereas the phone charger charges the S6 in an hour and twenty minutes. It's no competition. So you have the slight "inconvenience" of using a second hand. You also get double the charging speed

You plug in the charging pad. That's it. Never have to touch the cable again. Just plop the phone down and go.

Posted via the Android Central App

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
On the surface - from a very technical standpoint - it may APPEAR that wireless charging really has no benefits. However, like a lot of things in real life, once you put it into practice, you realize what the true benefits and/or downfalls are, despite what it looks like "on paper".

That said, I absolutely love wireless charging. I have one pad on my night table next to my bed, and one on my desk at work. At night, I wireless charge and wake up to a fully charged phone. All I do is get in bed, check any last stuff on my phone, and set the phone down ... done.

At work, I just keep my phone sitting on the wireless charger when I'm not using it ... keeps the phone top'd off, and is more than convenient since I'm constantly taking/making phone calls, getting up and walking around the office for whatever reason, etc. If I didnt have the wireless charger, I'd be plugging/unplugging the phone a hundred times a day - NOT good for the phone. Sure, I could let it run down, then use the fast charger to get it back up quickly ... but what happens if/when I need to dash out of the office to a jobsite? Now I'm stuck with a phone that's low on power.

There's also the benefits that others have said ... it saves the usb charging port ... it's convenient as all get-out ... it's a major factor for those with life-proof style cases that have covers over all the ports on the phone ... etc.

And, for those saying that wired charging is twice as fast ... yah, i guess if you consider the fast-charger ... but for those with multiple chargers around the house that are "normal" chargers ... the wireless is really not much slower at all. But, it's not meant to be some kind of hyper-charger ... it's for what I described above ... another OPTION for CONVENIENCE that is a damn good option of you ask me.

So what if the thing has to be plugged into a wall. You do that one time, and forget it. Just sit the phone down and let it charge up. I just don't see how anyone could consider that an irrelevant factor in evaluating it's usefulness ...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Wireless charging is actually really convenient. Yes, you have to plug in the charger, but once that's done, there's literally nothing else to do. Just put your phone on it and it charges. Done? Just take it off. It's like putting it on a table and taking it off again, only your battery is being topped off. And I'm thinking of getting a Qi Car Mount if I ever decide to either get a wireless charging folio case for my G4 (very unlikely because its leather), my old G3 (which has wireless charging) or an S6 as a backup.

Honestly, I don't like the way Rene sees things and I really highly disagree with his thinking. I won't go as far as to insult him or make cruel jokes because that's in bad taste and makes us look bad overall, but really, all I have to say is that Rene should just report on everything Apple and not make any insults in the Android world.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
All these posts about it being convenient etc. The main reason I own a wireless charger for my S6 is cause it looks cool :D I got the white Samsung wireless charger for my white S6 and both of them, together, look amazing.

I enjoy showing the less technically gifted people of my family how it works lol.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If you are in a restaurant or store, just place your device on the pad. Doesn't get more convenient. I have a feeling we will be seeing Apple incorporate wireless charging at some point.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I went to take a look at iMore this morning and found Rene up to his usual childish whining about Android and Samsung. Seriously, he acts like an eight year old. I can only imagine that Rene is jealous of Android and Samsung. Why else would he spend so much time trying to prove (to himself) that Apple is better? Hey Rene, you use what works for you and I'll use what works for me. Deal? Deal.

Rene doesn't understand "wireless charging." This is too hilarious.

"Of course, anyone and everyone watching the commercial knows that wireless charging pad had to be plugged into an outlet, just the same as a Lighting cable. That would be an equal struggle for iPhone or Galaxy owners alike. And, once the plug is in the socket, the difference between inserting a Lightning connector and plonking onto a pad is negligible."
I finally figured out why Samsung makes anti-iPhone ads... | iMore

He literally writes an entire article about how the wireless charger has to be plugged in, so it's no different, lol.
It IS different in that it's as simple as putting your phone on the table. It's different in that it literally adds zero time. It's different in that I can do it with one hand.

He wrote a childish, desperate article complaining about Samsung being childish and desperate in their ad. Bravo, Rene! Now I want the next iPhone to have wireless charging so you can completely 180 on the usefulness of that feature.

I kind of agree. Is it really wireless charging? It is convenient to just plop the phone down on the charging pad but I see that people who use wireless charging needing to have multiple units because it's just an inconvenience to have to carry it with you all over to just treat it like regular charger. Plus it doesn't charge your G6 quickly like the stock charger. It's more of a gimmick to me at this point since it only makes sense by you bed or desk at work.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
What I learned from this thread is if you have wireless charging, you love it. If you don't have wireless charging, you don't love it. That alone should prove the convenience of wireless charging. Also, let's be real, if iPhone had built in wireless charging, not only would it be touted as a feature, it would be touted as NEW.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I kind of agree. Is it really wireless charging? It is convenient to just plop the phone down on the charging pad but I see that people who use wireless charging needing to have multiple units because it's just an inconvenience to have to carry it with you all over to just treat it like regular charger. Plus it doesn't charge your G6 quickly like the stock charger. It's more of a gimmick to me at this point since it only makes sense by you bed or desk at work.

I don't have a cable plugged into my phone. So yes, wireless. On average I spend 16-18 hours per day at work or in bed. Those chargers at my work desk and bed side make perfect sense, as they cover me for a large majority of my days.

ron561

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
My wireless charger also doubles as a standard charger too. While it doesn't charge as fast as the stock charger, I still enjoy having one more than a regular charger. It seems to charge about as fast as old charges did, so not really a big deal for me. Having it at work/home allows me to keep it topped off anyway. If I ever need to step out and travel, I also have a fast charger for the car.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a cable plugged into my phone. So yes, wireless. On average I spend 16-18 hours per day at work or in bed. Those chargers at my work desk and bed side make perfect sense, as they cover me for a large majority of my days.

Agreed. It's called wireless charging, because the phone does not need to be wired in. Nobody claimed the charger itself could magically create energy.

I also use it at my desk. I'm stuck there for 7 hours a day, I'm not in a rush. It's about convenience. It's also about choice.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Are your hands going to break from plugging the phone into a charger?
To be honest I'm not a fan of this kind of viewpoint; that "you don't need it therefore it's not useful". Of course you don't "need" wireless chargers. The whole tech industry is saturated with things you don't "need". This doesn't mean we should just all adopt a spartan lifestyle and snub our noses at every feature just because one company (or in this case one blogger with a narrow minded agenda) thinks it's not necessary.

Wireless charging isn't for everyone, but getting up on a soapbox to claim it's not a good feature just to poke shots at your competitor is some we "need" even LESS. It's hitman journalism at best.

darthhen

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Been using Qi charging since my Lumia 820 (or 810, forgot the exact model). Never looked back.

Everybody's use model is different. For those that tried it, loves it. I'm spoiled by wireless charging now. But I guess one can say that I'm too lazy to plug in a cable every night. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power