Rene Ritchie (iMore) doesn't understand wireless charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I kind of agree. Is it really wireless charging? It is convenient to just plop the phone down on the charging pad but I see that people who use wireless charging needing to have multiple units because it's just an inconvenience to have to carry it with you all over to just treat it like regular charger. Plus it doesn't charge your G6 quickly like the stock charger. It's more of a gimmick to me at this point since it only makes sense by you bed or desk at work.

As I and others have said, it's not about what is better, it's about convenience.

It's why we also have multiple chargers. Such as I have one by my desk, one by my couch, and my car charger is also wireless. Now every time I move from location to the next location in my home or to the car, I now don't have to plug in my phone.

But more then that, my phone is always topped off as a result too. No longer do I stress that my phone has enough power when I leave my house or even charge overnight because my phone is always topped off.

Sure, it costs about $50 for each charger if you buy some of the better ones that don't require any fidgeting. But they can be used for any phone that has the feature in the future and I'm going to plop my phone down next to me anyway so why not on a wireless charger?

Posted via the Android Central App

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
As others have already said ... what's going to be funny is when iPhones eventually adopt integral wireless charging, and then Rene starts talking about how awesome it is ...

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The funny thing is that there are still plenty of Apple fans buying wireless charging stickers right now on Amazon, so wireless charging is definitely wanted by iPhone fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note - Please remember to keep the discussion on topic. Talking about your opinions is okay but going after one another with personal attacks is not okay. A moderator has already posted a warning in the thread about this.

Please use the report button for problem posts instead of engaging. Thank you!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I live in dfw and am in starbucks quite often. I have yet to see the wireless charging pads. Anyone seen or used one at starbucks?

Posted via my Galaxy S6!

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I live in dfw and am in starbucks quite often. I have yet to see the wireless charging pads. Anyone seen or used one at starbucks?

Posted via my Galaxy S6!

I'm in the NYC area.
The Starbucks in the local mall has charging outlets, USB outlets, and 2 charging pads.

But no other Starbucks has it that I know of. I do have a local coffee house that did renovate and installed a bunch of charges... He says that while most don't use them, I'm not the only one who does.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
What I learned from this thread is if you have wireless charging, you love it. If you don't have wireless charging, you don't love it. That alone should prove the convenience of wireless charging. Also, let's be real, if iPhone had built in wireless charging, not only would it be touted as a feature, it would be touted as NEW.

I've had it and returned it once I found out that it does not support quick charge. I don't like the idea of just laying your phone down on a charger just because. I can understand having one bedside but since the phone charges so quickly I find myself sleeping with it and just charging it while I shower and get ready to go to work in the morning. After that I'm good for the rest of the day. I'm not knocking anyone that has one. Good for you buddy👍if you love it. Just expressing my opinion. Never understood the the concept if it doesn't charge as fast of the stock charger.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Just a side note.... you can also run into a local best buy and plop it down on one of theirs if you need juice. The Samsung display people are very cool about it. Just as long it's an S6 or any other galaxy device. Lol

lutin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
to be fair he does have a point though. I didn't know until this post that the wireless chargers had to be plugged in in order to be used. What's the difference in plugging in a wireless charger to plugging in the mobile phone. Either way you are still plugging in a device. Oh well saves me money to not buy a wireless charger any time soon

I'm still quite intrigued about how you thought that wireless chargers work if you didn't have to plug them in?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Never understood the the concept if it doesn't charge as fast of the stock charger.

That's because you are looking at it like a normal charger and are probably charging your phone like in the past....once it gets low.
But for me, it's for topping off my phone every time I put my phone down. I don't use it to charge it once empty, I use it to top it off from say 60 or 70 percent, or anytime I'm sitting down by my desk or couch.

Then if I get a few texts or a call, I just pick it up and use it, then place it back on the charging pad or stand. It's a different way of thinking about charging. No longer am I charging just when it's low, I now do it when it's resting, thus it's always topped off and ready for a long day out of the house.

This is not for charging when your phone is dead. That's what the quick charger is for. This is so that you never need the quick charger.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's because you are looking at it like a normal charger and are probably charging your phone like in the past....once it gets low.
But for me, it's for topping off my phone every time I put my phone down. I don't use it to charge it once empty, I use it to top it off from say 60 or 70 percent, or anytime I'm sitting down by my desk or couch.

Then if I get a few texts or a call, I just pick it up and use it, then place it back on the charging pad or stand. It's a different way of thinking about charging. No longer am I charging just when it's low, I now do it when it's resting, thus it's always topped off and ready for a long day out of the house.

This is not for charging when your phone is dead. That's what the quick charger is for. This is so that you never need the quick charger.

Hopefully this helps people stop letting their batteries get so low and/or die. Ideally the battery should never be "conditioned" and should never be below 40% or so, but when below 20% damage to longevity is occurring.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully this helps people stop letting their batteries get so low and/or die. Ideally the battery should never be "conditioned" and should never be below 40% or so, but when below 20% damage to longevity is occurring.

Even with my older/other phones prior to my S6, when I never had wireless charging, I always tried to keep my battery/batteries full ... I'm "that guy" that sees the phone at 70% and freaks out thinking it's about to die on me LOL. So either way, I was always trying to keep it fully charged ... not because I knew about possible battery life issues, but because I was/am always fearful of when I'd be going out away from the ability to charge, and also have to heavily use my phone ... which would possibly get me in a situation where my phone dies and I"m completely screwed.

Now, with the wireless charging, it makes it infinitely easier to keep it close to fully charged. I spend most of my normal days at the office, so sitting it on the pad while i'm at my desk just makes sense, and keeps it nearly full all day with rare exception. At home, I don't use the wireless charger that much except for overnight charging. It's on my night table next to my bed, so I just put it on the pad when getting in bed, and wake up to a fully charged phone. This also allows me to just pick it up in the morning to check email, messages, forums, etc. w/out having to worry about the cord connected to it ... it also allows me the freedom to answer an emergency call should I get one while sleeping, and not have to worry about ripping the phone away from a cord and damaging something on either the charging cord or the phone itself.

Again, it's hard to express exactly how great wireless charging is until you start using it, and figure out how it works best for you. It's also hard for me to imagine now how I got along w/out it, and how anyone else could feel there are any negatives to it.

On that note, I keep my quick-charger brick with me, and the factory cable so that IF it gets lower than I like, and feel I need to juice it back up quickly (anticipation of a potential emergency), I can still do that for 30 minutes, then place it back on the pad to fully top off and get back to "normal operation" with my phone.

Now, if/when one day we have pads that hold a charge, and can be taken remotely with you to set on a table that don't need to be plugged in, THAT would be amazing ... and probably not far off ... it would be the same thing as one of those battery pack cases or packs that you carry to charge your phone (samsung makes some, as do others) ... but combine that with a Qi charger body on top of it, and you'd really have something cool!

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
It IS different in that it's as simple as putting your phone on the table. It's different in that it literally adds zero time. It's different in that I can do it with one hand.

is this a joke???

a table still needs to have a charger on it which in turn still needs to be plugged in. so in that regard, yes its basically pointless. last time i checked , its not even close to convenient for most peoples coffee tables in their living rooms to have a wire that runs from an outlet somehow to the table and call that 'convenient'.

"literally adds zero time"?? do you not realize how slow it is to charge wirelessly? it isnt even close to being useful in a mainstream way at all. this saves absolutely no time.

when wireless charging is available in more settings and becomes significantly faster, thats when apple will get on board. otherwise right now its just a random talking point added to the s6 for no real reason other than just saying it has wireless charging.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Now, if/when one day we have pads that hold a charge, and can be taken remotely with you to set on a table that don't need to be plugged in, THAT would be amazing ... and probably not far off ... it would be the same thing as one of those battery pack cases or packs that you carry to charge your phone (samsung makes some, as do others) ... but combine that with a Qi charger body on top of it, and you'd really have something cool!

Have I got great news for you!! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Fortitude-100...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4528198

Great post, by the way...

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I just want to defend Apple here. They have always had wireless charging I think.

I have an Apple wireless device and I get charged for everything I download to it. Have been for some time......:)

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site

OK, so ur saying that I need a wireless charger to save the battery on my phone? Interesting.
I've never had any battery issues in the past when letting my phone go below 40% or 20% for that matter before charging it. I actually get better battery life that way. Don't ask me why. Maybe I have the attention of the battery gods???
Anyway, I always let it go down below 10% And I would assume that 80% of people with cell phones do the same. No one with real lives say "oh my god my phone is at 40% what will I do?"
I see 40% on my phone and I say awesome! I have a Lil less than half of the battery life left. I should be able to get thru the rest of the day.
I think it's hilarious how people get all bent out of shape in a forum when others have a different opinion than them. It's just a phone folks get over it. Or in this case a battery. Cheers!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
OK, so ur saying that I need a wireless charger to save the battery on my phone? Interesting.
I've never had any battery issues in the past when letting my phone go below 40% or 20% for that matter before charging it. I actually get better battery life that way. Don't ask me why. Maybe I have the attention of the battery gods???
Anyway, I always let it go down below 10% And I would assume that 80% of people with cell phones do the same. No one with real lives say "oh my god my phone is at 40% what will I do?"
I see 40% on my phone and I say awesome! I have a Lil less than half of the battery life left. I should be able to get thru the rest of the day.
I think it's hilarious how people get all bent out of shape in a forum when others have a different opinion than them. It's just a phone folks get over it. Or in this case a battery. Cheers!
Wireless isn't better AFAIK; keeping it topped off is. Wireless merely makes it easier to not wear it down. But I'm not sure anyone was getting bent out of shape...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante