Case Review: Spigen Ultra Hybrid

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Spigen Ultra Hybrid (Colour: Space Crystal)
Galaxy S6 Case Ultra Hybrid – spigen.com

IMG_5483.jpg

Quick thoughts: This is the case I will be using. It works perfectly with my wireless charger (pics included). It is easy enough to put on and remove.

Protection: This case offers good protection for the phone; the back is basically flush with the camera, BUT the 4 corners of the back have little feet that keep the lens a millimetre or two off of the surface. There is a small, but sufficient lip around the screen.

Craftmanship: All ports/speakers line up perfectly and all buttons are covered, but still maintain that ideal "click" when pressed.

Colour: I chose the space crystal colour in an attempt to avoid yellowing that happens to clear TPU cases. Note: Only the bumper is TPU and tinted, the back is hard plastic and is clear.

Included: Case, back protector for phone that prevents any visual bubbling (and it works).

IMG_5473.jpgIMG_5474.jpgIMG_5475.jpgIMG_5476.jpgIMG_5477.jpgIMG_5480.jpgIMG_5481.jpgIMG_5485.jpgIMG_5489.jpg

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm coming from a case that had exposed buttons, so feeling the buttons (flush with case) is taking some getting used to. However, there's a slightly different texture, due to the "PWR" and "+ -", as well as the lines at the edges of the buttons.

What color did you get the case in? Your phone is black sapphire, right?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm coming from a case that had exposed buttons, so feeling the buttons (flush with case) is taking some getting used to. However, there's a slightly different texture, due to the "PWR" and "+ -", as well as the lines at the edges of the buttons.

What color did you get the case in? Your phone is black sapphire, right?

Yup. I got the clear one. I kinda wish I got the black one though

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I really like this case but I keep getting bubbles in the back of my phone when I use it :(

Posted with my shiny s6

Use the back protector provided with the case. I tested without the back protector and had a slight bubbling. I added the back protector and it fixed it completely.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Use the back protector provided with the case. I tested without the back protector and had a slight bubbling. I added the back protector and it fixed it completely.

I am using it! When I first put the case on it's okay but as soon as a little pressure is added the back bubbles like crazy.

Posted with my shiny s6

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have this case and I like it. I'd rate it about an 8 out of 10. I can't stand huge bulky cases and this one adds almost no bulk at all. I have the GunMetal gray so the sides are colored (unlike the clear one in this pic) but the back is still clear so I get the nice blue tint from the back of the phone.

The only downside is the flat buttons for volume up and down are hard to distinguish. I am constantly hitting volume down when I want to go up.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I really like this case but I keep getting bubbles in the back of my phone when I use it :(

Posted with my shiny s6

I threw the back protector away when I received this case because I didn't see the point in it if the case already has clear back plastic protecting the back of the phone. What is the point of the back protector? I am not using it and I have no bubbles on the back of my case.

My only concern with this case is that it doesn't allow much heat to escape the S6. When indoors in air conditioning it's fine, but on a warm day outdoors, I find the phone easily heats up quite a bit, possibly degrading battery life. I have been looking for a bumper that just goes around the edges but leaves the rear glass exposed, but haven't found a worthwhile one yet. I think the exposed glass in the back would allow more heat to escape, despite the added risk of breaking due to exposure.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I threw the back protector away when I received this case because I didn't see the point in it if the case already has clear back plastic protecting the back of the phone. What is the point of the back protector? I am not using it and I have no bubbles on the back of my case.

My only concern with this case is that it doesn't allow much heat to escape the S6. When indoors in air conditioning it's fine, but on a warm day outdoors, I find the phone easily heats up quite a bit, possibly degrading battery life. I have been looking for a bumper that just goes around the edges but leaves the rear glass exposed, but haven't found a worthwhile one yet. I think the exposed glass in the back would allow more heat to escape, despite the added risk of breaking due to exposure.

The back protector stops bubbling. Not everyone will experience bubbling, but some will when the case comes in contact with the back glass. As I mentioned in a previous comment, when I first put the case on WITHOUT the back protector, I got a little bubbling. With the back protector on, I don't get any bubbling anymore. You may not personally need it, but it's quite useful and I would've been very disappointed if I had to deal with bubbling.

I don't think this case traps heat any more than any other case, other than bumpers. It's not very thick, and it's plastic, which is a very good material for dissipating heat. However, if you find a good bumper, write a post about it! :) Others may be interested.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! For under $8 each I bought 2! They look good and it seems they don't take up much space.

Yeah, I've been happy with my first one, so I also bought a second. Shipping takes forever, but for the price I'm patient. I currently leave mine at work, wanting another one for home. I ordered the white for my second one.

Some people have had mixed success with these units, but at this price, I'll take my chances again.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm just looking back at my review here.
I thought I'd mention that at least 1.5 months later, I'm still super happy with this case! No noticeable yellowing, thanks to the "space crystal."