Hey everyone I'm a long time reader but this is my first post. I recently upgraded from a s3 to the s6 and I'm having some issues. I would absolutely love to mirror my phone to my tv so this morning I began researching this and to my surprise I can't use a mhl cord. What is the best option to get this done? I have exede satellite Internet so I don't really want to use a ton of Internet just to watch a movie and I don't have a smart tv. I have read that the chromecast works but I'm not familiar with it and I'm not sure how much data it will consume. What other options do I have? I'm seriously thinking about just returning the phone and buying a s5 online so I can have the option to use mhl and expandable memory once again. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks and have a great day.
    07-02-2015 11:25 AM
    The Chromecast works well, it won't use any additional phone data. The data used will be what is used to stream the event you're watching on the phone.
    07-02-2015 12:21 PM
    So if I only watch videos or look at pictures stored on my phones hard drive I won't use any mobile/wifi data?
    07-02-2015 12:26 PM
    I have researched online and if I use chromecast and quick connect on the s6 both must be connected to wifi. I stated previously I have exede satellite Internet and I only have 10gb a month. Let's say I use chromecast to mirror a hour and a half long movie how much Internet usage am I looking at? I really don't want to buy a chromecast device, stream a movie, and end up using 2gb of data to watch it
    07-02-2015 05:11 PM
    What do you mean say mirror a movie? If the movie is stored on your phone it will use no data. If you are streaming in HD from the internet, however, you will burn through 10gb in a few hours.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-02-2015 05:55 PM
    I will only be watching movies and shows that are stored on my phones hard drive. I'm just wondering how much wifi data I will use streaming already downloaded material from the gs6 to the chromecast that is hooked to the tv. Both the chromecast and the gs6 must be connected to wifi. If streaming already downloaded material doesn't use wifi data then why do both items have to be connected to wifi?
    07-02-2015 06:12 PM
    I will only be watching movies and shows that are stored on my phones hard drive. I'm just wondering how much wifi data I will use streaming already downloaded material from the gs6 to the chromecast that is hooked to the tv. Both the chromecast and the gs6 must be connected to wifi. If streaming already downloaded material doesn't use wifi data then why do both items have to be connected to wifi?
    The device is communicating with the TV through Wi-Fi. No data is being used.
    07-02-2015 06:56 PM
    Ok so no Wi-Fi data will be used to transfer the movie from the s6 to the chromecast? I know when I would use the allcast dongle with my s3 it would use wifi data to transfer movies to the tv.
    07-02-2015 07:03 PM
    I found a post on reddit that explains everything. Apparently chromecast must be connected to wifi so it can load a small video player every time something is mirrored. I guess it will use a little bit of wifi data to cast images and video to the tv. My next question is if I bought a miracast dongle how much wifi will it use? I know that the miracast dongle doesn't have to be connected to wifi. When I turn quick connect on the s6 my wifi comes on so if I have either the chromecast or the miracast dongle would I connect to it there like a wifi printer or no? I guess I could buy both and run test to see how much wifi I would use to cast movies to the tv.
    07-03-2015 10:09 AM
    Do you have unlimited data on your phone plan? It is possible to mirror your screen over your mobile network, not wifi.
    07-06-2015 01:41 PM
    If your TV has a HDMI cable your best bet may be to transfer your movies from your phone to a laptop then plug the laptop into the TV via HDMI. You wont need WiFi or your phone's data if you use this method.
    07-06-2015 03:34 PM
    I don't have unlimited data on my phone and I like the laptop to tv idea but I only have an older 2007 macbook. I would like to keep everything 1080 so I don't think my MacBook will work. I purchased a chromecast this weekend and I plan to run a test later this evening to see just how much wifi data I will use to cast a 2 hour long 1080p movie. Yesterday morning I hit my exede data cap and that slows down the speed tremendously and blocks me from downloading anything. I thought what the heck I might as well try to cast a video using the slower speed and everything worked extremely well so it must not use too much data because loading a 480p YouTube video or even some picture gifs is impossible.

I plan to purchase 1gb of data and cast the movie again while watching the exede data meter. I'm also going to buy the belkin miracast device tonight and test it the same way and then choose which one uses less data or possibly return both and go a different route. Anyways thanks for all the responses and if my findings can help anyone else let me know.

Also does anyone else have issues using swiftkey to type messages on here?
    07-06-2015 04:44 PM
    Sorry for the somewhat late response but I finally ran a few test. I purchased one gig of exede data which reset the data tracker and I began casting a 1.8gb 1080p film. After watching the film I stayed off the wifi and waited 24 hours for the data journal to be sent to exede like they suggest. I only used 80-100mb which I'm completely fine with and really have no reason to purchase the belkin miracast device. I think if casting a movie used several hundred megabytes or if I had to cast everything I watched daily then I might look for something different. Anyways I hope my findings can help someone else out there. Also does anyone know of an app or setting that will cast surround sound audio even if it's 2 channel? I know on the gs3 there was a setting for surround sound but that was for the hdmi out.

Thanks!
    07-09-2015 05:52 PM