Answering a call, seems to hangup/drop the call

andersh

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I've had my shiny Galaxy S6 for nearly three weeks now. I bought it SIM free. Really loving the phone, but I've noticed that when I try to answer a call, the phone hangs-up instead. I have good signal and I can ring the person back immediately. At first I thought I was hanging up with my cheek, but it happened when I was in slow traffic in my car yesterday. The phone was sat in a mount, connected to Bluetooth. I used the car's controls to answer and had the same issue.

I've spoken to people who call me, and they say the call just ends with a beep, it doesn't go to voice mail. I've tested calling my S6 from another mobile and a land line and the problem happens every time.

If I tap reject, the call is sent to voice mail, so I'm not pressing the wrong button.

I've tried:
  • Enabling/disabling single tap mode
  • Enabling home key to answer calls
  • Wiping the phone's cache partition using the Android system recovery menu
  • Using a Bluetooth headset to answer calls
  • Uninstalling Three InTouch, my network's Wi-Fi call app (I can answer calls if they come through this app)
Anyone else experiencing this/got a solution? Could a misbehaving app interfere with calls in this way? I am yet to receive the update to 5.1, so I'm holding out some hope there.

I'm in the UK. Phone is SM-G920F ZKABTU, baseband G920FXXU1AOE3, CSC version G920FBTU1AODQ. I haven't rooted it.

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I've had my shiny Galaxy S6 for nearly three weeks now. I bought it SIM free. Really loving the phone, but I've noticed that when I try to answer a call, the phone hangs-up instead. I have good signal and I can ring the person back immediately. At first I thought I was hanging up with my cheek, but it happened when I was in slow traffic in my car yesterday. The phone was sat in a mount, connected to Bluetooth. I used the car's controls to answer and had the same issue.

I've spoken to people who call me, and they say the call just ends with a beep, it doesn't go to voice mail. I've tested calling my S6 from another mobile and a land line and the problem happens every time.

If I tap reject, the call is sent to voice mail, so I'm not pressing the wrong button.

I've tried:
  • Enabling/disabling single tap mode
  • Enabling home key to answer calls
  • Wiping the phone's cache partition using the Android system recovery menu
  • Using a Bluetooth headset to answer calls
  • Uninstalling Three InTouch, my network's Wi-Fi call app (I can answer calls if they come through this app)
Anyone else experiencing this/got a solution? Could a misbehaving app interfere with calls in this way? I am yet to receive the update to 5.1, so I'm holding out some hope there.

I'm in the UK. Phone is SM-G920F ZKABTU, baseband G920FXXU1AOE3, CSC version G920FBTU1AODQ. I haven't rooted it.

If you have tried all that but doesn't mention that you did a factory reset, just means that you are avoiding that at all costs, so let me suggest you something first.

Boot up in Safe mode, turn it off, and press and hold power and volume down and as soon as it turns on release the power button and keep the Volume down press. (I think I'm sure that's the correct sequence, if not try a search here as I posted that before or try Google)

So once in Safe mode, try calling your phone again, if it works then you know it's a third party app, if it does the same, you will need to do Factory reset, I know it's a pain but just remember that if you ask for a replacement they will likely send you a refurbished one and you'll still need to redo ALL your settings again or ask you to send your phone for warranty to maybe just do what you can do.

Last edited:

andersh

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Erasat, thank you, I was not aware of safe mode. So I booted into that mode and I was able to answer a call :)

You are correct, I am trying to avoid having to hard reset. As I've had the phone less than three weeks, it seems crazy that I'm already in this situation. With a 5.1 upgrade due, if I have to hard-reset, I'd rather do so after getting that installed.

So now I will try to work out which app causes this error...

andersh

May 30, 2015
Visit site
OMG, I think I've found it. In AVL (anti-virus) there is a call blocking option. I don't remember turning this on, however it was enabled although with no numbers listed to block. Anyway, disabling the call blocking option seems to have fixed the issue. :) :cool: :-[

Thanks again Erasat O:) for helping me narrow this down. Once I knew it was likely an app, it meant I could focus my effort.

Dora Smith

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I had this problem. Seems the reason is I was answering the phone the wrong way.

Answering an android smartphone is hardly intuitive anyway - instead of pressing something you're supposed to SLIDE something. You thought, slide toward the PHONE symbol? Left is phone, up is text message, right is take a photo, down is simply wake up the phone, right?

Right, unless the phone is ringing. On the left is a red phone symbol. On hte right is a green, God knows what symbol. Guess what. You slide toward the GREEN to answer and toward the left if you don't want to take the call so you want to hang up - maybe it sends it to voice mail, maybe it kicks the call into outer space, we don't know. My sister told me this, and then she called me back and I slid to the right - it worked.

!!!!!!!!!! Who the bleep wrote this operating system anyway? ........... NO, don't answer that. Thank God I didn't get a WINDOWS phone! .... I think!

Oh, and one other thing. Slide SLOWLY and slide ALL THE WAY.

If you go too fast the phone will get confused.

They must have created this operating system in Austin, Texas, because the operating system is completely ditzy!