Problems With Cell Signal On Telstra

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone. I was just wondering how many people on this forum are on the Telstra network in Australia and if so how many of you are experiencing problems with the cell signal

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Razza, if you allow me to add something for those that will not read the other thread. This is what I posted before;

<Go to Settings-About device-Status and in Signal Strength you will see your real cell signal strength. A signal of -60dBm is nearly perfect, and -112dBm is call-dropping bad. If you're above about -87 dBm, (lower is better) Android will report a full 4 bars of signal, and you showing just 1 bar tells me that you should be getting a very bad signal there. That will never helps you in that department and will clearly explain any battery life inconsistencies.>

One more thing to check is your ASU values on that same screen, see this link to understand about it, http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/333298-what-your-signal-strength-your-cell-network-provider-your-n5-dbm-asu.html. It will tell you about it, but in a summary, while having lower values in dBm means better signal, it will need greater values on ASU for the same, to have 0 is very bad.

To give you an example, at home, I have good cell signal, not bad, not great, and that means 2-3 bars, but it shows around -91dBm that is good and 48 ASU. And I barely see that ASU value goes lower than 25. So that can tell you that either they have a huge issue with their radios on the S6 or their signal got worst, but then, if you put your Sim in other phone and the signal is better, then it's the radios.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A weak signal really tells you just one thing - that you chose the wrong carrier (unless there's no carrier with good coverage where you are). that's the first thing you should so when deciding on a cellphone and plan - check to see which carrier has a strong signal where you need a signal. Choose from one that does. Then you can choose plans, phones, etc.

The best free unlimited everything plan on the best cellphone ever made is worthless if there's no signal where you are.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
A weak signal really tells you just one thing - that you chose the wrong carrier (unless there's no carrier with good coverage where you are). that's the first thing you should so when deciding on a cellphone and plan - check to see which carrier has a strong signal where you need a signal. Choose from one that does. Then you can choose plans, phones, etc.

The best free unlimited everything plan on the best cellphone ever made is worthless if there's no signal where you are.

Telstra is the most expensive company in Australia for a reason. It has double the amount of reception areas than any other company in this country

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Telstra is the most expensive company in Australia for a reason. It has double the amount of reception areas than any other company in this country

Wow, then I'm sorry my friend but like I've posted in the other thread, it seems that the issue is across all their coverage area not just yours, so that means that they screwed something on their firmware/radios, only hope is that they gets the ball rolling with Samsung and fix it with a firmware update.