I'm looking for advice about how I may go about fixing my S6's issues with running slowly.

When I say it's slow, I'm referring to how quickly apps launch (especially the camera), how fast I can switch from one app to another and occasional lagging of home screen elements loading.

I switched to the S6 from an iPhone 6 and I've been very happy with android but this phone has undoubtedly been much slower than what I'm used to with iPhone and if I can't resolve it, I may switch back.

Thanks in advance.
    07-05-2015 02:26 PM
    If you push the black button on the bottom middle twice camera comes up pretty darn quickly

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Tatt2014 likes this.
    07-05-2015 02:30 PM
    If you push the black button on the bottom middle twice camera comes up pretty darn quickly

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    It's inconsistent for me- slow more often than not.
    07-05-2015 02:37 PM
    You should reboot the phone at least every three days...maybe more often. If not, the phone will lag and stutter like crazy. Because of this I will be exchanging my S6 for the new Moto X when it comes out in September.
    07-05-2015 08:40 PM
    I don't have to reboot like that and mine is not slow and does not stutter.

Fred
    07-05-2015 09:40 PM
    OP I'm trying to replicate launching the camera with my GS6 with some sort of discernible lag. It's instant for me. Additionally I haven't had to reboot this device since I can't remember and there are no lags or slowdowns. It might help if we understood what your expectations where delay wise, for the camera to appear. Read the owners manual to make sure you have the device setup properly and contact Samsung for support if you think the device is not working as advertised.

This is not directed at you OP but I do notice that sometimes device complaints in the mobile forums are largely invalid or exaggerated. The posters come across (to me) as simply wanting self validation with changing devices or taking a device back.
    07-06-2015 09:27 AM
    OP, what you're experiencing is the RAM issue that is plaguing many S6 devices. It is causing a lot of slowdown, apps to not stay in memory, app switching to be slow, etc.

Android 5.1.1 may help a little bit but it's a Samsung issue and they have yet to fix it. Restarting the phone every day or so helps mitigate the problem.

Posted via Android Central App
    TheBecoming likes this.
    07-06-2015 09:06 PM
    I've found that the lag that I've experienced with my gs6 is due to the TouchWiz transitions and animations. I'm not sure why Samsung would set the defaults of their UI to be so slow. It actually took me about a month with the phone to even start to notice and become annoyed by them. At first I thought it was a subtle lag happening, but it seemed a little too predictable. Fortunately someone mentioned the animations settings in the developers options that when tweaked really improves the feel of the device. Also suggested disabling the camera quick launch as it creates a pause in the response of the home button. These really make a significant difference in the feel of the UI. The phone feels truly lightening quick now.
    TheBecoming likes this.
    07-06-2015 10:27 PM
    Reboot the device daily and shut down apps periodically.

The S6 currently suffers from overly aggressive RAM management and while Lollipop may be to blame for some of them, this is a Samsung issue and they have yet to fix it.

If it still persists, backup all important data and do a factory reset.
    TheBecoming likes this.
    07-07-2015 12:53 PM
    Reboot the device daily and shut down apps periodically.

The S6 currently suffers from overly aggressive RAM management and while Lollipop may be to blame for some of them, this is a Samsung issue and they have yet to fix it.

If it still persists, backup all important data and do a factory reset.
    A factory reset does not help. I did one last week.....total waste of time. The RAM issues persist. I am swapping to Moto X (2015) in fall if it is not fixed by then
    07-07-2015 01:12 PM
    A factory reset does not help. I did one last week.....total waste of time. The RAM issues persist. I am swapping to Moto X (2015) in fall if it is not fixed by then
    Then this is an issue that only Samsung can fix.

It doesn't exist on my LG G4 currently, which is unfortunate as the S6 is a much more powerful phone on paper.

There's no timeframe yet for the fix, but the fact that I haven't heard any response from Samsung about it is downright baffling.
    07-08-2015 01:20 AM
    Thanks all! I'll try to elaborate a bit.

When I refer to lag, it's relative to what I'm used to with iphone. My s6 isn't terrible and I'm sure most people wouldn't notice anything as being off. I had been using iPhone since the original, up to the iPhone 6. While I felt iOS left a lot to be desired, one of its strong points is (at least seemingly) seamless operating. Upon switching to the s6, I was very impressed with android overall, but did notice some clunkiness in regard to performing unrelated functions rapidly.

I was OK with the "clunkiness" for the most part, since I'm so happy with most aspects of the operating system. Eventually, it started to get frustrating though.

I did end up giving my iPhone 6 another shot for a day or so and was left with an overwhelming sense of "meh." I happily switched back to the s6 and I think I'll be satisfied enough to stick with it for a while.

Now if only this fingerprint scanner would perform more reliably...

Tl;Dr: I was comparing the s6's lag to the lack thereof I was used to with iphones. I switched for a day and decided I still prefer the s6 to the iphone enough to sacrifice seamlessness.
    07-08-2015 06:15 AM
    Thanks for this. I was just about to switch back to iPhone. I've always had one.... you gave me hope for my 6s.
    12-21-2015 11:29 AM