One thing I don't like about Android is the file system management. Unlike iPhone and WP. After uninstall in the apps, sometimes a folder will be left behind. And as time goes by, it will become clutter with a lot of folder and I can't keep track of which I don't need anymore...

Anyone here has some best practice to share here? Thanks.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S6
    deeb215 likes this.
    07-08-2015 10:33 PM
    Use SD Maid. It's one of the more highly regarded apps of its type.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    07-09-2015 12:50 AM
    One thing I don't like about Android is the file system management. Unlike iPhone and WP. After uninstall in the apps, sometimes a folder will be left behind. And as time goes by, it will become clutter with a lot of folder and I can't keep track of which I don't need anymore...

Anyone here has some best practice to share here? Thanks.

All I do is go into File Manager and delete the app folder. U just have to remember to do it after u delete an app.
    I got into the habit to do it right after the app deletion or else I will forget.

07-09-2015 12:52 AM
    All I do is go into File Manager and delete the app folder. U just have to remember to do it after u delete an app.
    I got into the habit to do it right after the app deletion or else I will forget.

True. There is only one problem with this. Sometimes the folder they created have funny names that you might not think it's related...

Wonder will Google address this problem in the future release of Android.

07-09-2015 02:08 AM
    Use SD Maid. It's one of the more highly regarded apps of its type.
    I saw some review says that it delete some others apps files sometimes. Do you have any idea is that true?

I just wonder how it can detects whether the folder is still attached to any Apps or not?

Cleaner approach is that all Apps should have their dedicated Apps folder and when uninstall the Apps, the correspondence folder should be remove altogether.

07-09-2015 02:14 AM
    I don't have any direct experience with the app--just have seen multiple recommendations for it by members whom I tend to trust. But it's certainly possible. I imagine it would be difficult to be 100% perfect with this kind of process.

I'm like Jamez Avila--I perioidically go through the user-accessible directories with a file manager app and look for leftover folders. It's usually pretty easy to figure out. The directory is either named after the deleted app or its developer. Occasionally, you have to be creative, and realize that the app used to be called something else--for example Dolphin Browser used to be called Tunny Browser, and the directory it creates is still called Tunny. You can still see it in the URL: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...yBrowser&hl=en
    Crashdamage likes this.
    07-09-2015 11:41 AM
    Mostly, I just don't worry about leftover files. They usually don't use a significant amount of space and don't hurt anything. You can minimize or even avoid leftovers by uninstalling apps this way:
    Settings > Apps > Select app > Force close > Clear cache > Clear data > Uninstall

I almost never use any kind of cleaner apps. Most of them are no good. But if you've installed/uninstalled a lot of stuff or just sort of a tidy nut you might find the urge to clean up irresistible. The best app I've found so far for that is SD Maid.

Unlike other so-called cleaners, SD Maid only does what it should do - clear out junk files, clean up databases, etc. It does not try to do things it shouldn't. There's no RAM cleaner/optimizer, no cache cleaner deleting useful cache files willy-nilly. It does not run in the background, only when used. No nag ads. Just a powerful set of useful tools for doing useful things.

But...it is a *powerful* set of tools. It's very difficult to make this type of software 100% perfect. Use of tools like this are seldom, usually never, actually needed. Use it very rarely, with extreme care and at your own risk!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....thedarken.sdm

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-09-2015 01:26 PM
    I use ES File Explorer. It's not only great to browse your phone, it will check for any file left behind when you uninstall an app and let you delete them.

Crashdamage gave a good tip. Always clear data before uninstalling.
    07-09-2015 02:38 PM
    I can no longer recommend ES File Explorer due to security concerns.

See this:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6941566

...and this:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6975035

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    07-09-2015 03:38 PM
    Interesting. It seems that the "would be" security concern was very limited and the devs fixed it. I've always used ES locally so no worries

I'll try to get more information but I think there's no much reason to worry about.
    07-09-2015 04:34 PM
    They *supposedly* fixed it. Until they thought nobody was still watching. I'm not convinced and at any rate, their behavior and lame excuse means that like Early Mon, I will never trust ES App Group again.

Also, note that while on their website they state they do not keep passwords on their servers - good - they also do not have a privacy statement on the website - bad.

I'll stick with X-Plore. It's a better overall file manager anyway.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.
    07-09-2015 05:21 PM