The skinny on why the S6 (and possibly Note 5) has no microSD expansion slot

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd prefer to have a SD card slot, but I think wardrive is right. Only phone geeks are concerned. Half my friends don't care about the SD slot and the other half have iPhones....so..yeah.

Plus, how about phone companies asking them to do away to get higher data plans?

I'm usually a fan of SD card slots, but with the rumor that the Note 5 will do away with it, I just hope that it comes with 64GB base, and according to GSMArena, that might be the case.

I can live with a sealed battery and lack of expandable storage if there's more than enough for my usage. But of course, there's always be one that has both, and that's the beauty of Android. Choice.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I know how Samsung should fix this issue.
Take the S6 as an example: suppose this is the pricing of the phone ( each carrier seems to vary a little)
32GB = $699
64GB = $799
128GB = $899

Simple fix: make a 64GB model with an SD card slot for $869
Then we can see just how much people want an SD card. Problem solved.
Maybe Samsung throws in a wireless charging dock.

That's not a fix, that's a test. The 128gb phone would then not sell, and there would be no need for its manufacturer based on a lack of demand due to an SD card slot implemented on the 64gb model.

Again, sure it would be a great test. But, would you invest your money in the manufacturing of a 128gb model phone if your 64gb model had an SD card slot? Your money on the line, would you take that chance? I know that I wouldn't.

Posted via the Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm usually a fan of SD card slots, but with the rumor that the Note 5 will do away with it, I just hope that it comes with 64GB base, and according to GSMArena, that might be the case.

I've called it from the moment that Samsung announced the S6 that the note 5 will NOT have an SD card slot and might have a 64gb base model. Yet while I still think that way, I no longer think that there will be any upgrade models. (no 128gb model... I hope that I'm wrong on this.)

I know that the tone here at AC is begging for an SD card slot, but I see no reason why Samsung should go backwards in their technology standards. And like I've said, it is easier today to just use a flash drive or SD card wire than removing and installing an SD card while not at home (until you've tried to do so like on the m8, then you have no idea how unreal hard it is).

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I've called it from the moment that Samsung announced the S6 that the note 5 will NOT have an SD card slot and might have a 64gb base model. Yet while I still think that way, I no longer think that there will be any upgrade models. (no 128gb model... I hope that I'm wrong on this.)

I know that the tone here at AC is begging for an SD card slot, but I see no reason why Samsung should go backwards in their technology standards. And like I've said, it is easier today to just use a flash drive or SD card wire than removing and installing an SD card while not at home (until you've tried to do so like on the m8, then you have no idea how unreal hard it is).

I'm guessing that's the way we're going, but I still hope that there's at least one phone with an SD card slot for all the techies out there. ;)

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
If it was anything other than a money grab $am$ung wouldn't be charging $100 for each memory upgrade iteration when the actual cost of materials is fraction of that. $ammy sees Apple ripping off its drones and wants to get in on the act.

No kidding. They'd be crazy not to. Samsung is no longer some random "also ran" manufacturer - people actually seek the brand out. Once that happens, the manufacturer can shift away from value added to design aesthetics.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
No kidding. They'd be crazy not to. Samsung is no longer some random "also ran" manufacturer - people actually seek the brand out. Once that happens, the manufacturer can shift away from value added to design aesthetics.

Hopefully auto manufacturers never study the cell phone manufacturers - base model of a car comes with a 5 gallon gas tank, middle moddle gets 10 gallons and the top model gets 16 gallons with each upgrade costing a few thousand $.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully auto manufacturers never study the cell phone manufacturers - base model of a car comes with a 5 gallon gas tank, middle moddle gets 10 gallons and the top model gets 16 gallons with each upgrade costing a few thousand $.

Wow, you really equate gas tank sizes to storage sizes on phones instead of battery size or battery life?

OK, I'll play that game.
With LG's new car you now not only have your normal gas tank like every other car, but also have a removable has tank that you can strap to the top of your trunk. They come in lots of sizes and you can buy them from Amazon quite easy. Once installed you might have limited viewing on your rear view mirror, but hey, you don't need to see all the fools that you've left behind in the dust anyway. Right?

Of course, we could have made models that have a larger tank to begin with, but why not ask our consumers to spend additional money so that they can make it to work each day. Plus if any of the gas gets corrupted on the external tank, just throw away the gas tank and buy another. It will be fun for the whole family. ;-)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow, you really equate gas tank sizes to storage sizes on phones instead of battery size or battery life?

OK, I'll play that game.
With LG's new car you now not only have your normal gas tank like every other car, but also have a removable has tank that you can strap to the top of your trunk. They come in lots of sizes and you can buy them from Amazon quite easy. Once installed you might have limited viewing on your rear view mirror, but hey, you don't need to see all the fools that you've left behind in the dust anyway. Right?

Of course, we could have made models that have a larger tank to begin with, but why not ask our consumers to spend additional money so that they can make it to work each day. Plus if any of the gas gets corrupted on the external tank, just throw away the gas tank and buy another. It will be fun for the whole family. ;-)

I would actually buy that, lol.

But only if the included gas tank is already big enough.

(Seriously, make one for the Lexus LFA. The tank on that thing is small)

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I would actually buy that, lol.

But only if the included gas tank is already big enough.

(Seriously, make one for the Lexus LFA. The tank on that thing is small)

That's a hot car. But where are you going to put the tank, on the hood?

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I like reading about all the reasons they changed (Makes more sense); however, I want the SD and Swappable battery.
If you "don't care" about these two options Samsung will be very happy.
My opinion: "Buy whatever phone you like."

iCoolio

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
You are obviously totally deluded by the FUD and Misinformation and you and so many others simply don't understand technology in the first place. So you just rather make up some type of conspiracy theory instead of facing the facts. First off Samsung is one of the SDA Board Members and stand to lose money, if they can't sell their own SD cards. That to go with losing licensing fees w/o an SD card slot designed around hardware standards they've contributed!

Just get real and come back down off your ignorant toadstool long enough to understand this simple fact; SDA members aside from Samsung and a few others want to move to a supporting UFS 2.0 Memory modules on SD Card slots. But.... those that don't have the technology to begin selling such advanced SD Readers don't want this to happen. Because they would be forced to upgrade to these new standards on their own memory chips!

You don't think Samsung wants to move us into the future? Where they can actually support faster SD cards Flash memory, to make more money from us???? Reality here bubba.... is that Samsung already dominates memory business like no other company on the planet. They spend 10 to a 100 times more on R&D than their next closest competitor. Who are also members of SDA Standards setting body. When SDA finally moves to support far more advanced UFS 2.0 sequential simultaneous read/write flash memory, Samsung will be the first to pop a new MicroSD card slot in their phones for use to buy better memory from...... THEM. Rather than their sandbagging fellow members of SDA!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC