Radio problems on AT&T....any ideas?

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
So my S6 has been great so far, bought it on day one, and I'm coming from an LG Optimus G (probably the best, most stable phone I have ever used). I was wondering if any of you had any reception/radio issues? Because my phone is absolute TRASH in this dept. I travel the same route to and from work since I switched to my S6 and my signal gets dropped all the time almost everywhere. I am lucky if I have more than 2 bars while my OG had no less than 4 throughout the same route. Anyone I'm on the phone with is always complaining that they can never hear me or I break up.

Have any of you experienced something similar with your S6? Again I am on AT&T's network and live in Atlanta. I am not sure if the radio is just bunk and defective or just downright WEAK. I know its possible to flash new radio firmware (which may or may not help) but I am trying to stay away from rooting and flashing these days.

Thanks guys!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
When you say you're having issues is it not working or at your just seeing less bars? Your old phone could calculate bars different than the S6. You would have to look at your old phones -dBm number and then compare it to the S6. That is the only way to truly judge signal strength.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I would try a new sim card first. Then if this fails to help, get a new phone. You should have little to no issues and this sounds like a bad sim or phone.

Posted via the zenfone 2

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
When you say you're having issues is it not working or at your just seeing less bars? Your old phone could calculate bars different than the S6. You would have to look at your old phones -dBm number and then compare it to the S6. That is the only way to truly judge signal strength.

Its actually not working. I talk to my girlfriend usually on my way home from work (we both work 9-5 so we tend to talk to each other on our commutes home). Every day, without fail, I loose signal on the drive home and she's yelling "I cant hear you...I cant hear you...I cant hear you". Or the call gets dropped all together. This NEVER happened on my old Optimus G and the route hasn't changed.

I'll go to an AT&T store today and see if I can get them to switch out the sim card and see if that makes a difference. I just find it odd that nothing about where I live, where I drive and the route I take hasn't changed yet my reception on the S6 is abysmal compared to the OG.

I appreciate all the input guys and I'll let you know what I find out! :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Its actually not working. I talk to my girlfriend usually on my way home from work (we both work 9-5 so we tend to talk to each other on our commutes home). Every day, without fail, I loose signal on the drive home and she's yelling "I cant hear you...I cant hear you...I cant hear you". Or the call gets dropped all together. This NEVER happened on my old Optimus G and the route hasn't changed.

I'll go to an AT&T store today and see if I can get them to switch out the sim card and see if that makes a difference. I just find it odd that nothing about where I live, where I drive and the route I take hasn't changed yet my reception on the S6 is abysmal compared to the OG.

I appreciate all the input guys and I'll let you know what I find out! :)

Ah yes then that is a big issue and would drive me crazy as well haha :). Definitely do what Warp and MDM said -- New SIM card first (you would be surprised how many times that has fixed an issue) -- Then if that doesn't work I would exchange.