What's new in 5.1.1 and some interesting Battery related stuff

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Look at this other thread, http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/514380-new-smart-switch-pc-mac.html, this is a full PC and MAC application where you can do full backups and other simple stuff. the backup is nothing similar to the iOS ones where basically you can create an Image of your phone and restore from it on a brand new phone, but this is the best you may get for a Samsung phone right now.

If I back up my data from 5.0.2 will this mean that it will save the data and not the firmware I am on. I guess I am asking if I go to put the data back onto my phone will it revert back to 5.0.2 cause that was where the backup was from

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
If I back up my data from 5.0.2 will this mean that it will save the data and not the firmware I am on. I guess I am asking if I go to put the data back onto my phone will it revert back to 5.0.2 cause that was where the backup was from

You are making a backup of your data and settings, so it will work no matter the version you are on, and don't worry, on Android, with the kind of backups the OEMs are allowing, there no such thing as backup/restore full OS or even system files, at least without root.

You may also try Helium (in addition to Smart Switch), it will backup most of your apps but more important, its data. So once you restore you will have your data back. Hints, don't backup Emails or Gmail apps with Helium, just backup Email app with Smart Switch, plus with Helium, after the backup, just copy the whole carbon folder to a computer, then after you flash the Firmware and are setting everything, move that folder back to the phone, then open Helium and restore from your previous backup.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
You are making a backup of your data and settings, so it will work no matter the version you are on, and don't worry, on Android, with the kind of backups the OEMs are allowing, there no such thing as backup/restore full OS or even system files, at least without root.

You may also try Helium (in addition to Smart Switch), it will backup most of your apps but more important, its data. So once you restore you will have your data back. Hints, don't backup Emails or Gmail apps with Helium, just backup Email app with Smart Switch, plus with Helium, after the backup, just copy the whole carbon folder to a computer, then after you flash the Firmware and are setting everything, move that folder back to the phone, then open Helium and restore from your previous backup.

So what you are saying is that when I have done the backup on helium there will be a folder on my phone that I should copy over to my computer and once I have updated to 5.1.1 I should copy this folder back to my phone and all my apps and data will be back? Is there anything I will need to do to open the folder on the phone? Sorry for all the questions. I have ocd and have to know what I'm doing and how it works lol

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So what you are saying is that when I have done the backup on helium there will be a folder on my phone that I should copy over to my computer and once I have updated to 5.1.1 I should copy this folder back to my phone and all my apps and data will be back? Is there anything I will need to do to open the folder on the phone? Sorry for all the questions. I have ocd and have to know what I'm doing and how it works lol

Half of that is correct. You will have a folder called carbon, just copy that to your computer so you don't lose it if you do a Factory Reset, then after you are back with 5.1.1, just go to Play Store and download Helium, move that folder back to your phone, and then open Helium and do a restore, it should see your previous backup and restore your apps and data from it. But again, do this in addition to a Full backup with Smart Switch so you can restore from both.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Half of that is correct. You will have a folder called carbon, just copy that to your computer so you don't lose it if you do a Factory Reset, then after you are back with 5.1.1, just go to Play Store and download Helium, move that folder back to your phone, and then open Helium and do a restore, it should see your previous backup and restore your apps and data from it. But again, do this in addition to a Full backup with Smart Switch so you can restore from both.

When I went to download the Samsung Galaxy s6 drivers in the installation for selecting language and country it didn't give Australia as an option. Does this matter and should I just select America as it is an installation?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
When I went to download the Samsung Galaxy s6 drivers in the installation for selecting language and country it didn't give Australia as an option. Does this matter and should I just select America as it is an installation?

I don't think it matters, just select the first one you see.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it matters, just select the first one you see.

So my phone has been saying "Downloading... do not turn off target" for about the last 15 minutes and Odin is on NAND write start. How long should I expect this to take?

Half an hour later it's STILL on the "Downloading... do not turn off target". This is what my log for Odin says:

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> G920IDVU2COF8_G920IODD2COF8_G920IDVU2COF8_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> sboot.bin
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!

It is still blue on Odin. Should I keep waiting?

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So my phone has been saying "Downloading... do not turn off target" for about the last 15 minutes and Odin is on NAND write start. How long should I expect this to take?

Half an hour later it's STILL on the "Downloading... do not turn off target". This is what my log for Odin says:

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> sboot.bin
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!

It is still blue on Odin. Should I keep waiting?

Well, I don't know if it finished yet, but certainly it's not normal, it shouldn't take more than 10 - 15 minutes at most to complete. I don't think it's drivers, if when you connected it, it was recognized and allowed you to begin flashing, as I'm seeing on the log you are showing, the drivers must be fine.

Again, I don't know if you managed to complete it or not, but if not, then try again, if as of now it's still stuck on that, it must have been failed. If it failed, don't exit your phone from download mode as I don't know if it may soft brick your phone and then you will need to look for how to shut it down and begin from scratch, so, without exiting Download mode, unplug your phone, I'd say that restart your computer and begin again the process.

I hope you have managed to flash it, a little of bad luck if you couldn't, this things fail but I don't really remember if I've had a failed flash before with Odin, anyway, good luck trying it again if it didn't complete.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok its official. I don't get this at all. Erasat I followed all directions and it got stuck in Odin mode

If it didn't finish then it just got stuck, did you try rebooting your Computer and trying again? Like I told you before, yes, I've heard of people with stuck odin while flashing, no, it has never happened to me, EVER, so, wow, sorry for that bad luck. Did you have latest Odin version? I think it's 3.10.6.

Where you at right now I think you just have 2 options, try again and see if you have better luck this time and hopefully it works, or try rebooting your phone also and see if it never really wrote anything, if it didn't, then your phone should boot normally and then you decide if you want to try it again, if for some reason it began writing and because it never completed it appears to be soft brick, then you MUST try it again and somehow trying to see what may be wrong because if not, your phone won't even boot.

BUT, I hope it was just a glitch and that by trying it again you can make it, when it works, and I really haven't seen t failing myself, it's very easy, just take about 10 minutes depending on the device and the size of the ROM.

Last edited:

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
If it didn't finish then it just got stuck, did you try rebooting your Computer and trying again? ike I told you before, yes, I've heard of people with stuck odin while flashing, no, it has never happened to me, EVER, so, wow, sorry for that bad luck. Did you have latest Odin version? I think it's 3.10.6.

Where you at right now I think you just have 2 options, try again and see if you have better luck this time and hopefully it works, or try rebooting your phone also and see if it never really wrote anything, if it didn't, then your phone should boot normally and then you decide if you want to try it again, if for some reason it began writing and because it never completed it appears to be soft brick, then you MUST try it again and somehow trying to see what may be wrong because if not, your phone won't even boot.

BUT, I hope it was just a glitch and that by trying it again you can make it, when it works, and I really haven't seen t failing myself, it's very easy, just take about 10 minutes depending on the device and the size of the ROM.

For some reason when I downloaded Odin the instructions said to download 3.9 so now I'm confused. What do I need for this to work?

EDIT: ok here we go. I just read this.

"ODIN is a program used for rooting, installing custom recoveries, and installing stock firmwares for Samsung smartphones and tablets.

This is a program that can be run on any Windows computer. You will need the latest ODIN V3.10.6 to root latest Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge. This ODIN is also backward-compatible with older Galaxy devices."

So I guess 3.09 doesn't work with the S6?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
For some reason when I downloaded Odin the instructions said to download 3.9 so now I'm confused. What do I need for this to work?

Download the latest Odin version, that maybe the issue, latest Odin contains most new devices drivers and stuff. Look for the latest file on the original thread here on XDA.

Again, you don't have too many choices now, just unplug your phone, leave it on Download Mode, download and run latest Odin (Create a separate folder to unzip the whole zip file on it) and I'd suggest you to reboot your PC and then try again, it should work, I hope that this time it works for you, there are a lot of telstra users over XDA that have done the same that you are trying to do, so if it worked for them, with same original Rom that you have, it must work for you.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Download the latest Odin version, that maybe the issue, latest Odin contains most new devices drivers and stuff. Look for the latest file on the original thread here on XDA.

Again, you don't have too many choices now, just unplug your phone, leave it on Download Mode, download and run latest Odin (Create a separate folder to unzip the whole zip file on it) and I'd suggest you to reboot your PC and then try again, it should work, I hope that this time it works for you, there are a lot of telstra users over XDA that have done the same that you are trying to do, so if it worked for them, with same original Rom that you have, it must work for you.

Lol almost instantaneously on 3.10 it went straight passed the nand. Now it says this:

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin engine v(ID:3.1005)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/005> sboot.bin
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> cm.bin
<ID:0/005> boot.img
<ID:0/005> recovery.img
<ID:0/005> system.img

A green bar is also filling up. Wow I hate technology. If an old program is no longer relevant or up to date why doesn't it just get removed

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Lol almost instantaneously on 3.10 it went straight passed the nand. Now it says this:

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin engine v(ID:3.1005)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/005> sboot.bin
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> cm.bin
<ID:0/005> boot.img
<ID:0/005> recovery.img
<ID:0/005> system.img

A green bar is also filling up. Wow I hate technology. If an old program is no longer relevant or up to date why doesn't it just get removed

Yes, that's what it's supposed to do, it's writing your new ROM, just let it run until it finishes, your phone will reboot after that, just remember to not waste time and then turn it off and boot in Recovery Mode and wipe your cache and then wipe data/Full reset, just look while you are at the recovery mode, in your screen you should have the CSC code and firmware version displayed, just be sure that after you do the Wipes, it shows INU now instead of XSA, if it does, your done, you have successfully changed your region from Australia and specifically Telstra Carrier, to India. who knows, maybe your radio problems that you actually have with Telstra can be fixed also, ;)

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, that's what it's supposed to do, it's writing your new ROM, just let it run until it finishes, your phone will reboot after that, just remember to not waste time and then turn it off and boot in Recovery Mode and wipe your cache and then wipe data/Full reset, just look while you are at the recovery mode, in your screen you should have the CSC code and firmware version displayed, just be sure that after you do the Wipes, it shows INU now instead of XSA, if it does, your done, you have successfully changed your region from Australia and specifically Telstra Carrier, to India. who knows, maybe your radio problems that you actually have with Telstra can be fixed also, ;)

I was about to ask you if I had read correctly when you said to do a factory reset and clearing the cache partition. For CSC code it says the following:

Manual mode

Appling Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : TEL
Successfully applied multi-csc

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I was about to ask you if I had read correctly when you said to do a factory reset and clearing the cache partition. For CSC code it says the following:

Manual mode

Appling Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : TEL
Successfully applied multi-csc

Yes, if you want to have it with India Region completely, then yes, do both, wipe cache partition and wipe data/full reset. Obviously, you needed the backups I told you earlier.

People are saying that if you don't do the wipe data it works and you don't lose data, but like I mentioned before, then you will have a Firmware version that was intended for a region with a CSC file that even when you can't see it there, it has multiple regions, TEL (tesltra) and INU (India), then I'm guessing it can prevent you from future OTA updates, if you can live with that, then don't do the Full reset, if you are like me that the OCD kills me for things like this, then do both Wipes, after you do that, it should show that the Applied CSC code is INU.

If by any chance, even after the reset it still shows TEL, then refer to the link I posted earlier in one my first posts to you in this thread, where it mentions that if you had the re-activation lock activated in Find My Mobile settings in the Security settings, you must turn that off first, and then it will change your CSC to INU.

So my advise is to boot normally, check first that you don't have the re-activation lock on and then decide if you want to do the full reset or not. But if you did the full reset before the flash, then it doesn't make sense to not do another one now.

Last edited:

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, if you want to have it with India Region completely, then yes, do both, wipe cache partition and wipe data/full reset. Obviously, you needed the backups I told you earlier.

People are saying that if you don't do the wipe data it works and you don't lose data, but like I mentioned before, then you will have a Firmware version that was intended for a region with a CSC file that even when you can't see it there, it has multiple regions, TEL (tesltra) and INU (India), then I'm guessing it can prevent you from future OTA updates, if you can live with that, then don't do the Full reset, if you are like me that the OCD kills me for things like this, then do both Wipes, after you do that, it should show that the Applied CSC code is INU.

If by any chance, even after the reset it still shows TEL, then refer to the link I posted earlier in one my first posts to you in this thread, where it mentions that if you had the re-activation lock activated in Find My Mobile settings in the Security settings, you must turn that off first, and then it will change your CSC to INU.

So my advise is to boot normally, check first that you don't have the re-activation lock on and then decide if you want to do the full reset or not.

I did the factory reset and the clear cache partition. Whether or not it changed my phone CSC I don't know. I'm currently putting my data back from the smart switch and then I have to figure out how to do the Helium thing. Do I copy the folder onto my phone from my computer as a whole and then download the helium app? Thanks for all of your help. My phone is now 5.1.1 lol

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I did the factory reset and the clear cache partition. Whether or not it changed my phone CSC I don't know. I'm currently putting my data back from the smart switch and then I have to figure out how to do the Helium thing. Do I copy the folder onto my phone from my computer as a whole and then download the helium app? Thanks for all of your help. My phone is now 5.1.1 lol

For the CSC information, you can get that info easily from Phone Info for Samsung from the Playstore, download it from here, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.vndnguyen.phoneinfo, great little app.

Just copy your helium folder (carbon) from your PC to the root folder of the phone, then download your apps and Helium, when you are ready to do the restore, just open Helium and follow the instructions to do the restore, it will ask you where is the backup, just select internal Storage or device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7