Why a launcher??

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
One point to make for the OP. All android phones come with a Launcher. On Samsung it's called TouchWiz. Google Nexus phones have the Google Now Launcher.

The main reason for installing an alternative is for the increased configurability they provide. Although some actually provide a more simplified interface.

The main thing is to find one that allows you to use your smartphone the way you want to. Very different from the Apple iOS system.

--
Should there be smoke coming out of my cpu?

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
One point to make for the OP. All android phones come with a Launcher. On Samsung it's called TouchWiz. Google Nexus phones have the Google Now Launcher.

The main reason for installing an alternative is for the increased configurability they provide. Although some actually provide a more simplified interface.

The main thing is to find one that allows you to use your smartphone the way you want to. Very different from the Apple iOS system.

--
Should there be smoke coming out of my cpu?

I had iPhones back in the day and coming from that system, the word "launcher" is confusing and makes no logical sense. It throws people off. It really should be called homescreen theme or homescreen skins.

Posted from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S6

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Why a launcher? Launchers are fun. They make your phone your own. There are many and while Nova is maybe one of the top launchers out there , there are many others that each have their own differences and pluses they bring to your phones enjoyment. My best advice is to try several. get one set up, try it for however long and save it, then try another. I have several on my S6 and rotate thru them depending on how i feel that particular day.
Do you need one? Of course not to just use your phone as intended by the manufacturer. But, will it bring more enjoyment to your phone in everyday usage? Depends on how adventurous you are I suppose. Everyone should try it for themselves, hurts nothing. Nothing ventured , nothing gained. They are as easily removed as installed, have fun.

=Jamez Avila;4570219]I had iPhones back in the day and coming from that system, the word "launcher" is confusing and makes no logical sense. It throws people off. It really should be called homescreen theme or homescreen skins
I have an iPhone 6+, my first iPhone ever. A nice device, but the UI is so boring. Can't do anything to it but change wallpaper. Not sure why apple insists so on keeping them this way. It's the reason I came back to android. People say the S6 is an iPhone clone in design. All one has to do is look at the home screen to know they are looking at a very customizable device. It's no wonder iPhones are so popular, there is absolutely no challenge to using them which = no fun, IMHO.

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had iPhones back in the day and coming from that system, the word "launcher" is confusing and makes no logical sense. It throws people off. It really should be called homescreen theme or homescreen skins.

I think calling it a theme or skin completely misses the extraordinary difference they can make. A skin suggests changing the appearance (icons and wallpapers) which is true.

However it ignores gestures, specialized screens and many other features that the launchers make possible.

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I have a Samsung S6 edge and I miss the scrolling background on Touchwiz. I like to add 3rd party HD wallpapers and I did not like having to crop the wallpapers. With Nova and Apex, I get the scrolling wallpaper back and put them in infinite loop so the last page will scroll back to the first page. There are also a wide variety of icon packs and themes available for 3rd party launchers. If you get the premium (paid) versions of the launchers you will get added features (like gesture controls) not available in the stock launchers.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, nothing's perfect. I'll probably give it a test drive later and see if it does shine anywhere. Kind of caught me off guard as I had not been aware Microsoft was working on android launchers. There has been some WP launcher clones in the store for years, but nothing from MS themselves. Where it lacks in one area it may shine in another. Tried Action Launcher for the first time and like it except for some quirks. Nova's probably still king. Wish I could code, I'd take everything I like from all the launchers and roll it up into one. ;)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I resisted for a couple of years when I had a not great experience with Apex launcher on my GS3. I recently decided to give Nova Prime a try. TouchWiz was fine and the UI has been slimmed down so that third party launchers were more of an option with the GS6.

Launchers let you take device customization further with different icon packs and configurations. You can mix and match icons from different icon packs. Tesla Unread allows unread message badges. You can lock the homescreens so that they don't change. You can save the different setups and switch back and forth. You can choose different homescreen animations like wipe or fade. You can set up gestures to do different things similar to shortcuts. My only problem is finding an icon pack to stick with.

Posted via the Android Central App

Pretty much JCP hit the nail on the head :).

Oh and later on he went to say Nova Prime is worth it .. I also agree with that statement :D.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much JCP hit the nail on the head :).

Oh and later on he went to say Nova Prime is worth it .. I also agree with that statement :D.

Thanks. My only problem is deciding on an icon pack. Tried more than a dozen.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams