I upgraded to the S6 in May and have been having issues with the device since June. Apps continually crash, including Audible, reddit, youtube, etc every 10 minutes or so while I'm using them. Audible will just stop playing and close, widget included. Or the window saying audible isn't responding shows up, forcing me to close the app. This occurs for other apps as well. I've also been experience really bad screen lag. I'll be scrolling or using swype to send a message and the screen will freeze for 2-3 seconds at a time. During that period, the screen is still taking inputs but is frozen. Then it tries to catch up with itself after the 2-3 second freeze. This happens every 3-5 minutes or so. This also occurs when watching video content, like youtube or netflix. The audio for the video will continue to play, while the video freezes for 2-3 seconds then catches back up with itself. Happens every minute or two on videos. This isn't the youtube or netflix stuttering. If it were, I would expect the audio to fail as well. Also, during these freezes, if I touch the screen, nothing happens. The phone won't take any inputs or wont' show that its being touched.

I've also found that it will just randomly decided to go to the lock screen as well, even while I'm using an app or watching a video.

I've cleared memory caches, restarted the phone, and a few weeks ago went as far as a factory reset. That only seemed to clear it up for a week or so and then the issues started to appear again. They seem to get progressively worse as time goes on.

Has anyone else experienced any issues like this? I've looked online, but all I find are things I've already tried, like clearing memory or resetting the phone. Nothing fixes the issue.
    07-17-2015 09:30 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Have you tried uninstalling the apps that crash to see if the lag improves? Android might be trying to relaunch the crashing apps, causing some of the lag.
    07-17-2015 09:36 AM
    I have not experienced anything like this at all since I've had the phone in mid April. Do you have any antivirus apps, or task managers running in the background? Those are sure to kill performance. Also, have you noticed any apps acting flaky and suddenly draining battery or using a bunch of system resources? A poorly written app can cause conflicts and system slowdowns if it is left running while you open and use other apps. If you answer no to any of these questions, or your results are inconclusive, I would recommend a full ODIN restore of your system firmware. This will completely set your phone back to the day you bought it.
    07-17-2015 09:41 AM
    I don't have a task manager running the in the background and no antivirus apps. The lag occurs regardless of the number of apps I have open and its not limited to when apps are crashing or have crashed. I've only got youtube open currently and while attempting to watch a video, the video stutters while the audio continues. Half way through, the phone randomly went back to the lock screen while the video continued to play (the audio was stlll playing through the lock screen), as if I wasn't actively using the phone.

As for uninstalling apps, I could understand if these apps were something off the mainstream. But I can't see youtube, audible, reddit, and even chrome being bad apps and causing these issues. I even lag while scrolling through a webpage on chrome. The fact that it happens on multiple apps makes me think something is wrong with the phone and not the apps themselves. I'm not sure reverting to the oldest firmware will do much either. The device had major issues with RAM/sluggishness before samsung released an update in May. I thought maybe I hadn't updated to this firmware, but that isn't the case either.
    07-17-2015 10:06 AM
    I meant that you could ODIN flash your current firmware again (if the tar files are available) and see if that helps. The lag in chrome is normal, but your other issues seem almost as if the flash memory has gone bad for some inexplicable reason. If the ODIN flash does not work, you'll have to see what Samsung says.

Should of asked what model you have and/or carrier you're on.
    07-17-2015 10:12 AM
    I'm on Verizon, galaxy S6 32GB black model.
    07-17-2015 10:23 AM
    The only thing I can suggest now is a full factory image reload using Kies or (if it works with the S6) Odin...

Typically things like this are flushed out with a factory reset. But those only clear user data... if there's something in system causing issues, those carry over through a factory reset.
    Ryan Wallace likes this.
    07-17-2015 10:58 AM
    you’ll need to enable access to the hidden “Developer options” menu on your Android phone. To do that, simply tap the “About phone” option in Settings. Then tap “Build number” seven times and you’re done. Now you can just back out to the main Settings menu and you’ll find Developer options somewhere near the bottom of the list.

==>Now that you’re done with that part, let the real fun begins. Tap the new Developer options menu you just enabled and scroll until you see the following three settings (note that they may be located within an “Advanced” subsection):

Window animation scale
    Transition animation scale
    Animator animation scale

==>Did you see them? By default, each of those three options is set to “1x” but tapping them and changing them to “.5x” will dramatically speed up your phone. This harmless tweak forces the device to speed up all transition animations, and the entire user experience is faster and smoother as a result
    07-21-2015 10:12 AM
    you’ll need to enable access to the hidden “Developer options” menu on your Android phone. To do that, simply tap the “About phone” option in Settings. Then tap “Build number” seven times and you’re done. Now you can just back out to the main Settings menu and you’ll find Developer options somewhere near the bottom of the list.

==>Now that you’re done with that part, let the real fun begins. Tap the new Developer options menu you just enabled and scroll until you see the following three settings (note that they may be located within an “Advanced” subsection):

Window animation scale
    Transition animation scale
    Animator animation scale

==>Did you see them? By default, each of those three options is set to “1x” but tapping them and changing them to “.5x” will dramatically speed up your phone. This harmless tweak forces the device to speed up all transition animations, and the entire user experience is faster and smoother as a result
    I am honestly not sure this will help. Most of the OPs complaints are lag (or to be more precise freeze?) seem to be caused by some other process:
    I'll be scrolling or using swype to send a message and the screen will freeze for 2-3 seconds at a time.
    07-21-2015 10:18 AM
    Boot into recovery (hold volume up, home, and power together while phone is powered off) and wipe cache partition.

Problem still persists then boot back into recovery and preform a factory reset. (Do not back up any app data as this may bring the same problem back) I suggest start fresh and not restore anything.

If that doesn't fix it, then follow this guide under the Odin section to flash your stock firmware onto your phone.

If that still doesn't fix your problem contact Samsung as it will be a hardware problem.

Posted via the Android Central App
    jcp007 likes this.
    07-21-2015 11:43 AM
    I am honestly not sure this will help. Most of the OPs complaints are lag (or to be more precise freeze?) seem to be caused by some other process:
    I second this.... I see the animation scale settings get thrown out a lot as a way to make your phone 'faster'... it is really just a placebo effect to be honest. Yes, the transitions occur quicker, but we're still only talking fractions of a second.

Lag is lag... stutters, screen freezes, windows jump scrolling and not accepting input for a few moments. Chaning animation speeds will do nothing to resolve that.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    07-21-2015 02:52 PM