So, I've had this phone for almost 3 months now. I love it, but there's one problem. I'm barely able to text one of the few people that I talk to. Most of the time, they do not receive my texts until a week later, sometimes longer. I used to have the galaxy s5 with sprint and this happened with them too. I now have t-mobile and i have talked to them several times about this. After a lot of persistence, they put in a trouble ticket for me and that corrected it for about a week, then it started up again. Now they closed it and are telling me that it could be sprint's fault. This issue is really frustrating. I don't know what could be. I know that at one point I was accidentally blocked by the person, but it seemed to start after I ported my number over to a new carrier. I just want an end to this. I'm tired of contacting t-mobile every week. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    07-19-2015 12:46 AM
    Switch to WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, or any other messaging system. SMS is a terrible outmoded system that fails a lot more than it should
    07-19-2015 12:51 AM
    Switch to WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, or any other messaging system. SMS is a terrible outmoded system that fails a lot more than it should
    There isn't a single thing wrong with the stock sms messenger on the s6. This seems like a service provider problem, not a hardware/software problem.

Posted via the Android Central App
    shel692 likes this.
    07-19-2015 07:12 AM
    If T-mo filed a ticket, that means that engineering is looking to see where the failure is within their network. Based on the fact that the other party gets them so late, I'd say it's their provider. SMS stays on the network 48 hours and then disappears, if I recall correctly.
    07-19-2015 07:16 AM
    Are they able to text you without any problems?
    07-19-2015 07:23 AM
    This happens regularly for me on Verizon when at work with little or no signal, otherwise pretty reliable. Due to the questionable signal at work, I enabled delivery verification in Textra, my messaging app. I suspect other apps have this since it's an SMS feature. When I send one, it should go to sent, then delivered. This won't fix your problem but at least you will know if/when it is delivered and can resend. My wife has Verizon also and if it shows as sent on my end, but not delivered, then there is a good chance it wasn't, though sometimes it actually has but her reception acknowledgement was apparently lost. Yes, SMS is unreliable - and only seems to lose important messages.
    07-19-2015 07:35 AM
    So, I've had this phone for almost 3 months now. I love it, but there's one problem. I'm barely able to text one of the few people that I talk to. Most of the time, they do not receive my texts until a week later, sometimes longer. I used to have the galaxy s5 with sprint and this happened with them too. I now have t-mobile and i have talked to them several times about this. After a lot of persistence, they put in a trouble ticket for me and that corrected it for about a week, then it started up again. Now they closed it and are telling me that it could be sprint's fault. This issue is really frustrating. I don't know what could be. I know that at one point I was accidentally blocked by the person, but it seemed to start after I ported my number over to a new carrier. I just want an end to this. I'm tired of contacting t-mobile every week. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    They said it was sprints fault. LOL! What it was is they couldn't find anything so they try to pass the buck. Funny kaka right there!

Try another sms app and see if that works. If not, then it's the network. Make sure you go into settings and update your profile and prl and reboot first.

07-19-2015 01:27 PM
    SMS is a "best effort" protocol - like Ethernet except Ethernet has built-in ack/nak/resend. CDMA voice has priority over SMS so no guarantee. Perhaps when everything is over LTE then this will be solved.
    07-19-2015 02:56 PM
    SMS is a "best effort" protocol - like Ethernet except Ethernet has built-in ack/nak/resend. CDMA voice has priority over SMS so no guarantee. Perhaps when everything is over LTE then this will be solved.
    Man, your avatar is great. I have in my shed a 1973, very first push button prototype, pay phone. My dad got it when he was an engineer for United telephone which later became sprint.

07-19-2015 05:18 PM
    did you do a factory reset yet?
    07-20-2015 08:45 PM
    First thing you should tell us is if this person is an iPhone user, or if you had am iPhone before using iMessage or maybe both?

If yes to any of all of the above, look in Google about how to solve the messages issues between iOS users and other OS users that previously used iMessages.

If the above is not correct, if the other user is an Android User and/or you were never an iMessage user before then try other z third party message app like Textra and play with its settings, or may help.
    07-20-2015 11:03 PM
    I enabled delivery verification in Textra, my messaging app. I suspect other apps have this since it's an SMS feature.
    Actually, it's not. "SMS" is the old pocket pager protocol and, since pagers didn't have transmitters, no provision was made in the protocol for return receipts.

Some apps, like Textra, have added the ability, but that's outside the SMS protocol (https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5724.txt).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-10-2015 01:37 PM
    There isn't a single thing wrong with the stock sms messenger on the s6. This seems like a service provider problem, not a hardware/software problem.

I really don't think any applications were being disparaged, only the SMS technology itself. Yes, it's a terrible system and there needs to be a universal technology (LOOKIN' AT YOU APPLE!)

As an aside, I actually had pretty horrible lag with the stock sms messenger. I switched to Textra and everything was silky smooth. I don't know why and honestly didn't bother to investigate that closely, it's just my random experience.
    08-13-2015 03:06 PM