I fell in the pool with my Samsung Galaxy S6, what do I do?

A

AC Question

i fell in the pool with my Samsung Galaxy S6

so last week my friend pushed me in the pool with my Samsung galaxy s6 in my pocket, it didn't turn on so i immediately put it in rice and let it soak for about 3 days, after the 3 days i attempted to turn it on again, nothing no sign of the phone working. So i plugged it into the charger and the screen lit up with the battery logo but it usually moves up and down and shows the battery level but it just showed the battery logo, didn't think much of it so i let it sit plugged in for about 10 minutes then came back to check on it and it was still stuck on the battery screen, the phone was very hot too, next to the camera was the hottest, i immediately unplugged it and put it in the fridge and eventually the logo went away after the phone sat in the fridge for a good 15 minutes. i tried to plug it in again and it did the same thing except the logo was kind of purple and glitched out so i unplugged it and then plugged it back in and there was no screen response at all. I called the sprint store and they said they don't fix water damaged phones and that i would have to buy a new replacement, just wondering if any stores would be able to fix it, and if i have to replace it will i have to pay another 500 dollars, i am currently on the sprint carrier.

Janet OSully

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: i fell in the pool with my Samsung Galaxy S6

Just going thru the same with my daughter's iphone 6

Posted via the Android Central App

Janet OSully

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site

Water damage obviously not covered. I took it to a place here on LI called cpr. (cell phone repair) they are drying it out in a vacuum machine. Will be a few days before they can "diagnose" how much damage was done and whether the resulting corrosion is enough to not do the repair. As of right now it has not turned on. And there was sizzling involved when it first came out of the water. Only submerged for less than 10 seconds

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site

There's a reason why when I know I'm going anywhere around water I leave my phone at home for the day xd. Brings a great escape from technology too lol

EMY92

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

Almost everyone carries a cell phone on them now. How do idiots, likely also carrying a phone on them, don't realize that they're going to ruin someone's very expensive phone?

Your "friend" owes you a new phone.

If something like that happened to me, they'd owe me a new phone and possibly a new $6200 insulin pump if I let them live.

dmarcus48

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

Similar thing happened to me, except I can only blame myself. Funny thing is my phone will turn on when plugged in, dies as soon as I pull the plug. Had it at a repair shop for 2 weeks, it's toast. So now I'm using a 5 year old iPhone 4.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Put the phone in rice for about 3 hrs. The rice will absorb a lot of the water and ur phone should be good

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I would try and get squaretrade insurance and send them the receipt of your purchase. I know squaretrade covers water damage

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

Though there is no shortage of people suggesting it, the old rice trick does nothing. If someone tried it and their phone worked, then it was not damaged in the first place. Rice will not draw moisture out of a phone - if it would then having a box of rice in your cupboard would draw moisture out of the air and go bad. There is no trick to bring a phone back to life that entered the water while on, and not much better chance if it was off since few devices are ever totally off if the battery is in it. The power is still going to the circuit board where it connects to the switch. A dunked phone should be gotten out of the water quickly, cover and battery removed (if removable), fan aimed at it and left to dry. After a few hours you could chance trying it on the off chance that water never really got in. Otherwise get it to a repair shop.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

I would say that your "friend" owes you a new phone. They probably won't be your friend for long once you tell them this.

That call is up to you if you want to persuade them to pay for a replacement or not.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
re:

so stores may be able to fix it then? no one is really answering the qustion

Good question on who could fix it this early in its product cycle. The repair stores can fix it if they can get parts. At first the way those stores get parts is from wrecked phones since the manufacturers may be tight with certain parts or they may never be available new. Much like the car junkyards. It's possible, but not likely that they will have parts for the S6. Screens sand batteries they may have, not so much on boards. They can probably sell you a good S4 or S5.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Though there is no shortage of people suggesting it, the old rice trick does nothing. If someone tried it and their phone worked, then it was not damaged in the first place. Rice will not draw moisture out of a phone - if it would then having a box of rice in your cupboard would draw moisture out of the air and go bad. There is no trick to bring a phone back to life that entered the water while on, and not much better chance if it was off since few devices are ever totally off if the battery is in it. The power is still going to the circuit board where it connects to the switch. A dunked phone should be gotten out of the water quickly, cover and battery removed (if removable), fan aimed at it and left to dry. After a few hours you could chance trying it on the off chance that water never really got in. Otherwise get it to a repair shop.

One stores rice in an airtight canister or seals it in the bag it came in for a reason.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

Wrong answer.

White rice can last several years if kept rodent and moisture free but you have to keep it sealed, brown rice has a much shorter shelf life because of the oils in the outer husk.

A much better way to pull water out of a phone is to use something like this in a sealed Tupperware container

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Moi...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4567160

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20