Battery has me already looking into the next round of phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fille84

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Untrue. As much as I like android, my iPhones last much longer than any android phone I've ever owned. Both my iPhone 6/6+ have great battery life. Say what you want about the iPhone being an "iTurd", "iSheep" or whatever stupid fanboyism someone can think of, the iPhone has better power management. I can fully charge my s6 and my iPhone, unplug them both, and ten minutes later the s6 will be at 90% where my iPhone is holding on to it's 100%.

Signed in to the same services, pulling down the same notifications. Credit where credit is due. That being said I love the hell out of my s6 even though it has the battery life of my old 3GS lol.

Are you saying that after 10 minutes unplugged your s6 have drained 10% doing nothing?

Anyway, yeah an iPhone has better power management because of the much more simple os. My s6 takes me easily through a day. An iPhone could maybe last me another hour or so if light usage. But who cares I'm going to sleep anyway and the phone is put to charge.
Another thing that's pretty nice with the s6 is that it gives me a full charge in around an hour while it takes more than double the time to charge an iPhone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Untrue. As much as I like android, my iPhones last much longer than any android phone I've ever owned. Both my iPhone 6/6+ have great battery life. Say what you want about the iPhone being an "iTurd", "iSheep" or whatever stupid fanboyism someone can think of, the iPhone has better power management. I can fully charge my s6 and my iPhone, unplug them both, and ten minutes later the s6 will be at 90% where my iPhone is holding on to it's 100%.

Signed in to the same services, pulling down the same notifications. Credit where credit is due. That being said I love the hell out of my s6 even though it has the battery life of my old 3GS lol.

iPhones seem to have a dead zone at 100% where they sit for a long time even if it isn't true. Not saying the 6/6+ do not have good battery life but I get about the same on my G4 as I did on my 6+.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying that after 10 minutes unplugged your s6 have drained 10% doing nothing?

Anyway, yeah an iPhone has better power management because of the much more simple os. My s6 takes me easily through a day. An iPhone could maybe last me another hour or so if light usage. But who cares I'm going to sleep anyway and the phone is put to charge.
Another thing that's pretty nice with the s6 is that it gives me a full charge in around an hour while it takes more than double the time to charge an iPhone.

Yup :(. On my s6 edge I could plug in my phone, charge to 100%, unplug it, and in ten minutes it would be down 10%. Not sure if it's just my phone, or what. Happened in various locations with good and bad coverage so it doesn't seem be a radio problem. My S6 (that I bought doesn't seem to do this despite being on the same carrier (at&t) and running the same firmware. Battery life, for me, hasn't been bad overall on the s6 or Edge though.

I use my phone a lot and it lasts about where I expect it to, but as previously stated it's not as good as my iPhone but in day to day use it's manageable. Maybe the edge has battery loss trying to detect edge screen gestures?

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
You're not going to get much better than this on many other devices
That's slightly misleading with the settings toned way down the way you've admitted you have in other threads. Also "much better" on " many other devices" isn't really saying much. I could counter by saying "significantly better on several other devices using the same settings and usage" and that would be equally true.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
That's slightly misleading with the settings toned way down the way you've admitted you have in other threads. Also "much better" on " many other devices" isn't really saying much. I could counter by saying "significantly better on several other devices using the same settings and usage" and that would be equally true.

Yeah ok with your "slightly misleading" nonsense. That's why I got 18hours off the charger yesterday with my phone at 30% brightness. I'm not misleading anyone. If you don't like the battery life of the s6 don't get one

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
OK, for me and both of my S6 edge and recently acquired Blue Topaz S6 battery life is very good, so no issues for me, but just to let you know, I just ordered an Unlocked S6 active and is supposed to arrived on Thursday.

So for those of you who love most of the S6 but think that it has a mediocre battery life, take a look at the S6 active, same great camera and display, same features plus Water, dust and shock resistant on a 3500 mAh battery that has been proven to be the best out there, even over the IPhone 6+ according to some reviews and tests, don't remember the article but according to the test, regular S6 had some 7 hours of SoT with that test and the active lasted 12.5 hours, while it keeps the wireless and fast charging options.

If you don't mind the looks, it's basically the best Android device out there, in pictures I thought it was too bulky for me, but after seeing it in person and comparing it side by side by side with my S6, I realized that it's like a S6 with an Armor or a thin Otterbox case on it. I ordered one the same day.

The active has much of the best of the s6 with a battery that makes sure you pass out before it does!

Posted via my S6 Active!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

With respect, but my iPhone 6+ battery cannot touch my S6 Active. 6+ is pretty close with my Nexus 6.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah ok with your "slightly misleading" nonsense. That's why I got 18hours off the charger yesterday with my phone at 30% brightness. I'm not misleading anyone. If you don't like the battery life of the s6 don't get one

You've turned your settings WAY below what people who want to keep normally. You've posted those settings in other threads. Your display brightness is set incredibly low for example as you've clearly stated in another thread - because you have sensitivity to displays that aren't very dim. That's just one example among a few tweaks you've made, including turning off features that shouldn't HAVE to be turned off just to get good battery life in the first place.

My point is that when you say something like "You're not going to get much better than this on many other devices" well, that is misleading because

1. "many other devices" can include a hundred phones ranging from $100 obscure no name developing nations budget phones to $700 flagships, in which case I could say "You're not going to get much better than this on many other devices" by turning my screen brightness to zero on a LOT of current flagships.

2. If we're talking about phones that directly compete with the S6 in the flagship price range, if I were to set a handful of them up the way you set yours, I'd end up getting better battery life than the S6 on several of them. Not a ton better, but still better.

That's not trash talking. It's called CRITICISM. If you're unable to handle criticism and debate without becoming angry, who's at fault here? Me or you? I can already tell you what the response from the staff here will be. They'll look at my post, see that I've in no way insulted you, behaved rudely towards you (on the contrary I'm making an effort to respond politely) or behaved in an inflammatory or trollish manner, and they're going to advise you to either report posts that actually DO behave wrongly, or to use the "block" feature for posters you dislike reading.

I'm well aware of my permission on this forum to disagree in a respectful manner and I've fulfilled that obligation. If that doesn't sit well with you, I've listed your options above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note #2 - Again .. please remember to follow P.U.P.P.A.H.

Use the report button if you see a post out of line versus responding to it.

Thanks!

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
You've turned your settings WAY below what people who want to keep normally. You've posted those settings in other threads. Your display brightness is set incredibly low for example as you've clearly stated in another thread - because you have sensitivity to displays that aren't very dim. That's just one example among a few tweaks you've made, including turning off features that shouldn't HAVE to be turned off just to get good battery life in the first place.

My point is that when you say something like "You're not going to get much better than this on many other devices" well, that is misleading because

1. "many other devices" can include a hundred phones ranging from $100 obscure no name developing nations budget phones to $700 flagships, in which case I could say "You're not going to get much better than this on many other devices" by turning my screen brightness to zero on a LOT of current flagships.

2. If we're talking about phones that directly compete with the S6 in the flagship price range, if I were to set a handful of them up the way you set yours, I'd end up getting better battery life than the S6 on several of them. Not a ton better, but still better.

That's not trash talking. It's called CRITICISM. If you're unable to handle criticism and debate without becoming angry, who's at fault here? Me or you? I can already tell you what the response from the staff here will be. They'll look at my post, see that I've in no way insulted you, behaved rudely towards you (on the contrary I'm making an effort to respond politely) or behaved in an inflammatory or trollish manner, and they're going to advise you to either report posts that actually DO behave wrongly, or to use the "block" feature for posters you dislike reading.

I'm well aware of my permission on this forum to disagree in a respectful manner and I've fulfilled that obligation. If that doesn't sit well with you, I've listed your options above.

Way to ignore where I stated that I had my phone at 30% brightness and still reached 18 hours off the charger. All you are doing is taking from my posts what fits what you are trying to say and completely ignoring anything that doesn't and THAT is what is annoying me

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The battery issue has been voiced quite a lot through reviews and forum posts. Some people on the forums claim they have good life while others claim they have poor battery life. I myself am firmly in the latter and I too am looking forward to moving to a new phone.

As you mentioned OP, there are going to be some really solid options later in the year. Moto X, iPhone 6S, Nexus 2015, Galaxy Note 5 etc.

There's nothing wrong with not liking a phone. You don't *have* to like the S6 and if there's something you don't like about it, then you shouldn't just put up with it.

Good luck in your future phone ventures.

cc999

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering that too. My S6 can go 24 hours with 4-5 hours screen time pretty much every time I take it off the charger. I only drain about 1-2% overnight as well. I use mine normally with GPS, NFC, Bluetooth, Wifi and Data on all day 24/7 (I never turn off my phone). I play a lot of games (NBA Jam, Asphalt 8, GBA emulators) and stream a lot of music (GPM). All stock, with no root. All these post about the S6 battery being bad are so confusing too me.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

My phone is exactly the same. I have tested several times overnight drain is 1-2%.
If you have an Asus router and are running the stock firmware this is a huge problem
that many here may not be aware of. The battery drain then is horrendous (10-20% overnight)

CC

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Seems odd that people are having such different experiences with battery life. Could it be a carrier specific problem?

Welcome to April 2015. As you can see it's the same story since it was released, I just gave up trying to help, my threads and posts are all over the forums with the things I've done to my 2 S6 (1 S6 edge since April 10th, and 1 S6 Unlocked since last month) plus about 6 more S6 that I have helped set, 3 S6 edge, 2 S6 and 1 S6 active, ALL OF THEM have great battery life, not normal or regular, but Great. Today I'm receiving my S6 Active (Didn't arrive yesterday as expected) so you'll know that I'll be doing just the same.

All my Android phone have been set basically the same for the past years, all of them had their bloatware removed, same redundant Google or Samsung apps uninstalled or disabled, same Settings (Basically same Screen Brightness level, Wifi always On, bluetooth and NFC on/off when needed via Quick toggles and Location off until I need it) but with my Edge and S6 I've been even using location in power saving mode, and I still have great battery life. I even tried an LG G4 last month and returned it after 8 days, set exactly the same than my S6 edge and described above and it had worse battery life than my S6 edge by far.

So, everybody do with their phones what they want, there are people that still insist that they shouldn't do any tweaks to their phones and compare it to an iPhone, when you compare apples to apples then you can do that and compare them both, 2 different OS and both are set VERY different from factory, with Android you have basically EVERY possible option and Service on by default, running and wasting resources and mostly battery, as of now, in Android, you can't leave all that on and pretend to have a GREAT battery life unless you have a Phablet with a 3500mAh battery, with Android you should turn some things off here and there to achieve better battery life, plain and simple.

If you want your best battery life there are a lot of threads here to begin with, if you don't want to do any tweaks that's your choice also, there are also other people that have done a lot of tweaks and still have bad battery life, for those with legitimate issues, sorry, but your device should have some hardware issues, maybe radios or even bad battery (it may happens also), or as simple as bad cell phone signal, so your only option is try to get a replacement or if you are still under the 14 days go get a new one.

Again, your choice, but in my case, I'll keep enjoying my 2 S6 for now and my new S6 active after I set it today and then will decide which of the 3 I'll sell, but S6 active battery is simply a monster so I think that my Blue Topaz S6 will go very soon.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Didn't know the s6 active had good battery life. I'd get it but I'm not a fan of the design.

Yep it has a bigger battery so that helps w/ the life increase as well. Good for those on AT&T -- Or those who want to get it and unlock it.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Way to ignore where I stated that I had my phone at 30% brightness and still reached 18 hours off the charger. All you are doing is taking from my posts what fits what you are trying to say and completely ignoring anything that doesn't and THAT is what is annoying me

Anyway to respond to the rest, 30% is still a pretty significant concession to make unless your use is mostly indoors in dim lighting. It also tends to make the display less vibrant. I understand that those conditions are something you've stated you prefer otherwise you get headaches, but that doesn't apply to the norm. Therefore my prior statement still stands. A couple of you keep defending methods of making compromises as one poster just recently put it, "these are things you must do with Android phones" (I'm paraphrasing). I disagree with that blanket statement. It would be far more accurate if he had stated "these are things you must do with certain Android phones with questionable battery life".

I said it earlier and I'll say it again. Android phones using current battery tech are simply not ready for great battery life if they're sporting qhd displays and the most recent OS version. Until new battery hardware gets introduced, and Google learns how to combat the persistent battery drain gremlins in 5.xx I will at least attempt to stay with 1080p models if they continue to be available.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricandSuebee

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to mention that on my phone it's currently at 43% off the charger at 6:30am and it has auto brightness on all the time, gps on all the time bluetooth etc.. and I always have great battery life lasts me entire day and when it goes on to the charger at 11pm usually have over 20% left, lowest I had was 12% one time.

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
My S6 can go 24 hours with 4-5 hours screen time pretty much every time I take it off the charger.

I'm still getting similar results:
batt.png

(4h45m15s screen-on time; power saving mode.)

That's a mix of moderate usage for me, on and off wifi. The sharp declines are from gaming (Sky Force, Real Racing 3) and watching videos. News apps, Facebook, Instagram, etc, running carelessly in the background. :p

Spent just over an hour charging back to 100%.

I realize people have different needs, usage patterns and expectations when it comes to battery life -- personally I'm quite happy with this sort of performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance