07-29-2015 10:11 PM
66 123
tools
    AT&T S6, if this is bad battery then please show me something better...

Posted via the Android Central App

Edit: this is with 3 hours of gaming, some YouTube and other junk.
    Attached Thumbnails My issue with battery life-screenshot_2015-06-05-14-08-46.jpg   My issue with battery life-screenshot_2015-06-05-14-08-51.jpg  
    07-27-2015 05:43 PM
    My galaxy s6 has its good days and its bad days. It all depends on what im doing on it that day. Either way i have had it for a month now and only had it die on me once before putting it on the charger when going to bed. All in all, im happy with the phone and the battery.

Posted via the GS6
    07-27-2015 08:06 PM
    Wifi drains the phone faster than the cellular data does
    Depends on the situation. I get good signal with T-Mobile around town but home has been weak and wifi helps.

I got a booster recently to help my cell signal and still use my wifi and the drain is minimal on my G4 (international model). I lose about 0.5 percent an hour with nothing disabled / full syncs.

So the wifi vs cellular definitely varies from area to area.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-27-2015 08:26 PM
    My girlfriend has the S6 and gets terrible battery life.

There's definitely steps you can take to address that... Many steps if you are willing... But is it worth buying? I would not buy a phone if the expectation is that you must alter your usage or tweak things just so you can get average battery life.

Now it needs to be said that LP has been horrible on battery life for many phones. Standby drain issues are widespread, and usually only addressable with custom ROMs or kernels. I expect things to improve soon, but in the end if your phone does not have a big battery there is only so much you can expect it to do under ideal use conditions.

the S6 has a below average sized battery but with above average screen resolution; you should be seeing red flags if you are anything more than a light to average user.
    07-28-2015 12:07 PM
    You basically need to disable all the cool/useful features of the phone and reduce what seems like an amazing device to an old school flip phone.

You guys are calling his tips optimizations???

It's more like dumbing down the phone.

Smh.

The battery life on the s6 is mediocre. Every reviewer has said. Even the reviewers on this site.

Here's the link where just about everyone said, the battery life is bad.

http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-...6-three-months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07-28-2015 08:05 PM
    You basically need to disable all the cool/useful features of the phone and reduce what seems like an amazing device to an old school flip phone.

You guys are calling his tips optimizations???

It's more like dumbing down the phone.

Smh.

The battery life on the s6 is mediocre. Every reviewer has said. Even the reviewers on this site.

Here's the link where just about everyone said, the battery life is bad.

Samsung Galaxy S6, three months on | Android Central

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To be fair, those "optimisations" mentioned don't really "dumb" the phone down. I had a look through them and they are pretty basic. The optional steps, on the other hand, go a little into dumbing down the phone territory.

S6 users looking for better standby time, and are rooted, would be better off following the steps here: [GUIDE]Extreme Battery Life Thread(Greenify+… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums. These tweaks are the real deal.
    07-29-2015 02:10 AM
    I am the author of that thread, and like I mentioned at the beginning, those are for people that want to do what they can to get better battery life, for those of you that don't like them or think whatever you want about it, it's simple, then don't do it.

Obviously they are there for people that own the phone, those of you that don't even own the phone, I still don't understand why you keep coming to this forums, almost 4 months after the phone has been released when your intentions have never been to get one.

The "optimization" term came recently, because people love to say that iPhones are better optimized, I simply mentioned that iPhone seems better optimized because simply doesn't run tons of services and apps in the background like Android do by default, that on iPhones, for some it means optimization, but doing the same in Android (removing bloatware, and disabling and uninstalling dozens of unnecessary services and apps from Google and Samsung) is crippling the device and turning useful things on Android, talking about double standard here. Again, I'm optimizing my device simply because it comes heavily loaded by default, every possible service and useless features on by default, turning them off is optimizing my device, something that not even Google is doing. Leaving everything on isn't a good thing no matter what you think, if you want to keep doing it, good for you.

I'm still amazed by the way people take this recommendations and how they still don't understand the reason behind them, for the last time, I don't need to have Location History (now with Location Reporting incorporated) pinging my device every minute, this has been the biggest battery drain for our devices and all the rest with latest Google PLAY services installed, if you want to waste your battery on it, good for you, but not for me, I still use my Location 24X7, but in Power saving mode, just change it to GPS when need to get a more accurate location when using Google maps. The same for Bluetooth and NFC, why having them on all the time if I'm not using them, now tell me, how am I crippling my device, which are the features that I'm turning off that are dumbing down my phone?

Wifi calling and VoLTE, I don't use wifi calling, I've never need it, so it's off, if I need it, just turn it on, simple as that, VoLTE, let me tell you only one thing, not available where I live, so why leave it on? This 2 were proven to be cause for some of the cellular standby drain bug since the phone was released, so tell me, do I need to leave them on wasting battery life of I don't use them? For those of you that use them, great, I've never said that turn off things you will use, I've never encouraged anybody to cripple the device, I've been very clear in my threads and posts, that every thing that I'm recommending to turn off is because you don't need them or to turn them off temporary until a fix is released, like it was the case of this 2 features, and according to some, latest software updates released this week covered those 2 issues.

Enough of this, I don't have time to keep explaining the same, for those of you that want to get the best battery life on or phones, do the tweaks you think you can do, they will definitely help you, for those of you that refuse to do your part on getting better battery life, it's up to you, but listen, it's not Samsung's fault like it or not, they designed and made the phone and clearly told you the specs including the battery size, if you went out and bought it, then you should have known better that in order to get great battery life you'll need to do some tweaks, 2550 or 2600 mAh batteries on a qHD display is not a killer combination to get great battery life, so you needed to know at least that. But even then, doing some simple tweaks that won't cripple your device, no matter what others insist on saying, removing all Carrier, Google and Samsung Bloatware plus turning off some default running services until needed, can give you great battery life like has been shown here dozens of times by me and a lot others.
    07-29-2015 06:47 AM
    There's lots of talk of the s6 having mediocre battery life but that is not my email experience at all. I get between 5-7 SOT and the battery easily lasts a day of heavy use. This is comparable with my s5 and also very similar to what I get on my iPhone 6. I have nothing turned off and have done no optimisation other than to set a number of apps to auto close after 10 mins.

I know some people have issues with the s6 battery but it shouldn't be assumed that it has mediocre battery life because that is not the case at all for all users

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-29-2015 07:19 AM
    I know this is not the S6 Active forum, so this will be my last screenshot about it, I'm posting this to show you what can be achieved by doing some tweaks, I've done basically the same tweaks I've done in my 2 S6 to the Active, removing all bloatware and uninstalling or disabling all carrier, Samsung and Google apps or services that I will NEVER use, plus the brightness in auto while outdoors and at around 15% while indoors, I've been a lot outdoors lately because of work and workouts, and before you even dare to critique my 15% indoors, that's the most my eyes tolerate and around the same brightness I always use in my HTC, LG, Sony, Motorola and OnePlus devices I've had in the past year.

Only thing I'm doing different on this one because as you can see I don't need to charge it every night, is that I'm using Airplane mode while I sleep and when I wake up, it's still at the same battery percentage I left it when I went to sleep, I don't need calls or notifications while sleeping, and I still can use it as my alarm.

I've been running for more than 36 hours and I'm still at 50% averaging 9 hours of SoT, simply amazing.

My issue with battery life-screenshot_2015-07-29-07-19-30.png My issue with battery life-screenshot_2015-07-29-07-19-38.png My issue with battery life-screenshot_2015-07-29-07-19-16.png
    07-29-2015 07:35 AM
    I know this is not the S6 Active forum, so this will be my last screenshot about it, I'm posting this to show you what can be achieved by doing some tweaks, I've done basically the same tweaks I've done in my 2 S6 to the Active, removing all bloatware and uninstalling or disabling all carrier, Samsung and Google apps or services that I will NEVER use, plus the brightness in auto while outdoors and at around 15% while indoors, I've been a lot outdoors lately because of work and workouts, and before you even dare to critique my 15% indoors, that's the most my eyes tolerate and around the same brightness I always use in my HTC, LG, Sony, Motorola and OnePlus devices I've had in the past year.

Only thing I'm doing different on this one because as you can see I don't need to charge it every night, is that I'm using Airplane mode while I sleep and when I wake up, it's still at the same battery percentage I left it when I went to sleep, I don't need calls or notifications while sleeping, and I still can use it as my alarm.

I've been running for more than 36 hours and I'm still at 50% averaging 9 hours of SoT, simply amazing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-07-29-07-19-30.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	189129 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-07-29-07-19-38.png 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	189130 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-07-29-07-19-16.png 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	189131
    I hate seeing screen shots for the active. Gimme gimme gimme lol
    07-29-2015 04:10 PM
    Mod Note - Thread has been cleaned. Let's keep it civil between each other. We like to see threads like this where users can get help with their issues.

Please use the report button if a post is out of line so the mods can handle it. Thanks!
    07-29-2015 04:26 PM
    Simply too many apologies for substandard battery life no matter how many ways a couple of people want to spin it.
    drone3 likes this.
    07-29-2015 07:26 PM
    Simply too many apologies for substandard battery life no matter how many ways a couple of people want to spin it.
    Just get another Android device, don't do any tweaks, leave Full Location and Location History on all the time and then come back here and tell us how great and different battery is, you'll be surprised to know that this is not an S6 or Samsung issue, there are a lot of other factors that affect ALL our Android devices, a guy who now have owned 11 different devices in a year from 7 different OEM manufactures can tell you about, obviously you listen if you want, nothing can be done if you won't.

NOBODY is apologizing for Samsung, there's where you get it wrong, to think that I'm defending them, the great thing about Android is that I have tons of options, I buy a phone and if I like it, I keep it for a while, if I dont, I sell it and get a new one, different brand or model and repeat, no loyalty to any company, I think that's been more than clear when I have detailed how many devices I've had recently and all different brands, so again, totally wrong in your assumptions, if Samsung close business tomorrow, it won't even affect me a bit, I'm not a stockholder.

Before the S6 I didn't like the S5 and told myself not to buy another Galaxy unless they made some design changes, they did it and it was great, hence why I get the S6 edge when it was released. Now with my S6 active I'll stay until the new Sony Xperia is released and I'm sure that I'll get it also, and you know what, I'll need to do some tweaks and turning off unnecessary services and apps also to get better battery life.

Go ahead, and at least visit other devices forums, and tell me if the grass is greener in the other side, but you must look for similar situation, look for devices with Lollipop and latest Google Play services, then tell me if you find somebody leaving all the default services on, such as Location and Location History, and is getting great battery life.
    07-29-2015 07:58 PM
    None of my android devices before required as much tweets as much as my s6 does just do get through the day (no it doesn't even GET through the day). I also used google now ever since it came out but after getting the s6 I've had to disable it just to save battery.

Posted via my shiny galaxy s6
    Then try to get rid of it while you can, while the price is still reasonable high so you won't lose too much, and look for other alternative or something that makes you happier. If you have done your part and it still doesn't get the performance you expect from it, it will never do.
    07-29-2015 09:14 PM
    Mod Note - Please stay on topic and away from trolling. If you do not care for the thread please move on.
    07-29-2015 10:04 PM
    I'm inclined to believe this thread is done. 2 warnings in under 6 hours from a member of the Mod team is excessive.

Golfdriver97
    Ambassador Team Leader.
    Almeuit, Laura Knotek and Saros like this.
    07-29-2015 10:11 PM
66 123