My issue with battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbgjlb

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
This seems to be the problem , some people are OK some not, but it seems more s6 owners are not than g4 owners. And I just don't think I want to be so preoccupied and worried if my battery will last. I wish that the phone makers would recognise we the public ( certainly me any way ) would rather an ever so slightly thicker phone with a bigger battery so it would not be an issue.

Also interesting as of posting this, more replies here than same question on g4 forum.

Posted via the Android Central App

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
And if they even attempted half of the steps that you gave for people to follow they would see immediate improvement in their battery life

I don't want to be a sore thumb but I follow about 85% of the tips that erasat provided in his battery thread and I get no where near 6 hours. Granted I only do 85% of the tips I would think that I should see SOME improvement, but I struggle to get 3 hours of screen on time. Even whem I'm at home for an entire day I can manage to get just over 4 hours because I have a constant wifi connection, otherwise the battery on my phone is pretty bad.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't want to be a sore thumb but I follow about 85% of the tips that erasat provided in his battery thread and I get no where near 6 hours. Granted I only do 85% of the tips I would think that I should see SOME improvement, but I struggle to get 3 hours of screen on time. Even whem I'm at home for an entire day I can manage to get just over 4 hours because I have a constant wifi connection, otherwise the battery on my phone is pretty bad.

Wifi drains the phone faster than the cellular data does

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Here's some tips that worked for me.

1. WiFi settings, keep WiFi on during sleep = only when plugged in

2. Turn off 'location' , turn off Google now

3. Keep your brightness around 20% inside and lower at night.

4. Get rid of battery draining apps

5. Try use apps that allow a dark mode with a black background.

S6 battery and lollipop are really frustrating with battery management, we shouldn't have to worry about any of these tweaks, it's not your fault.

Ima heavy user i get 4 hours SOT and I have to recharge once a day usually around 6pm, that gets me from 7am - 12am

dreaming of electric sheep

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
If you are on AT&T, get the Active. While it is the rugged version of the s6 your not going to have to worry about the battery life on it.

In person this phone is better looking than any pictures you have seen, and it is not going to scratch as easy as the other variants of the s6.

This phone is the best phone over all I have ever had. It is worth a good look if you plan on keeping it for a 2 year contract.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
If you are on AT&T, get the Active. While it is the rugged version of the s6 your not going to have to worry about the battery life on it.

In person this phone is better looking than any pictures you have seen, and it is not going to scratch as easy as the other variants of the s6.

This phone is the best phone over all I have ever had. It is worth a good look if you plan on keeping it for a 2 year contract.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

And even if you are not on At&t, but your carrier uses most of the same LTE and H+ bands that ATT uses, like T-Mobile, you can buy an Unlock one or buy one and pay for an Unlock service, I paid $15.95 for a premium service (Unlock even if it's still under contract or Financed), there are $5 services for devices that are paid off already and not on contract.

I've been rocking my brand new unlocked S6 active for the past 2 full days and officially it has dethroned the Xperia Z3 as the best battery life on an Android, and according to some articles, the best battery life on any smartphone. Today I'm averaging 8 hours of SoT and I'm still setting things here and there, not normal use yet, I'm at 63% at 8:00pm and I unplugged it and 8am, and I've been outside most of the day using cell data instead of WiFi, I did my 5k run this morning using Full Location with GPS and all for those almost 27 minutes, and being using Power Saving Location since then.

Great phone, great build quality, almost same user experience than the regular S6 except it doesn't have fingerprint, but you gain Water, dust and shock resistant instead. Experiencing 4G LTE everywhere, just like with my other 2 s6, so it has all the same bands than my other phones with the exception of Band 12, and there are people that say that it also has it and it should work, anyways, where I live there are still no support for band 12 so not really missing anything other than fingerprint.

timdsmith72

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Amen to this. I'm not a heavy user by any means, but I've been off the charger for 31 hours with 4 hours of SOT and my Active currently has 15% left. (I try to run it down below 10% once a week.)

And even if you are not on At&t, but your carrier uses most of the same LTE and H+ bands that ATT uses, like T-Mobile, you can buy an Unlock one or buy one and pay for an Unlock service, I paid $15.95 for a premium service (Unlock even if it's still under contract or Financed), there are $5 services for devices that are paid off already and not on contract.

I've been rocking my brand new unlocked S6 active for the past 2 full days and officially it has dethroned the Xperia Z3 as the best battery life on an Android, and according to some articles, the best battery life on any smartphone. Today I'm averaging 8 hours of SoT and I'm still setting things here and there, not normal use yet, I'm at 63% at 8:00pm and I unplugged it and 8am, and I've been outside most of the day using cell data instead of WiFi, I did my 5k run this morning using Full Location with GPS and all for those almost 27 minutes, and being using Power Saving Location since then.

Great phone, great build quality, almost same user experience than the regular S6 except it doesn't have fingerprint, but you gain Water, dust and shock resistant instead. Experiencing 4G LTE everywhere, just like with my other 2 s6, so it has all the same bands than my other phones with the exception of Band 12, and there are people that say that it also has it and it should work, anyways, where I live there are still no support for band 12 so not really missing anything other than fingerprint.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
My issue with standby battery drain has been solved. It's the WiFi, pure and simple. I've done all of erasat's tweaks yet still was getting 3%+ of drain hourly on standby. Today, before I took it off the charger at 8am, I turned off WiFi completely.

I'm typing this now at 10pm and I have 84% still. Very light use today, but did use spotify/Bluetooth on a 1 hour walk.

I suppose I'll just have WiFi on when charging so it can get any app updates it needs. I'm not a huge data user during the day so my 10gb plan on VZW should be sufficient.

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Again, the same over and over, people with bad battery life just saying blank statements like the S6 Battery life is mediocre, why is so hard for you to say, my battery life is mediocre?

Man, that's your problem if you don't believe it, just look for dozens of screenshots I (we) have posted? They are all over the forum. Sorry, but I'm just tired of this, it has been the same for more than 3.5 months now, lot of times proof has been requested and it has been shown to be true all of the time and there are still people doubting it, so be it.
You seem to be the exception, not the norm.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

WBSnow

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Greetings all.

I've read everyone's posts and applied many of the tips. Personally, my screen turns off when I'm not using my phone or during a call.

I also "close all" my apps and have disabled those apps I don't use. As for Wi-Fi & Bluetooth, these are usually on an running while NFC runs, as needed.

I see I need to charge my phone once or twice daily when I'm not at my desk, home or in the car. If I'm at or in one of the three, I'll charge my phone anyway.

Hope this helps.....

WBS

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
You seem to be the exception, not the norm.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Then call it 9 exceptions, as I have set 9 already (3 mine are the other 6 for friends and family) and all of them have great battery life, not the same as everybody is different and use it different, but according to each of them and their usage, the phone have been great since day 1 with its battery, all of them comparing with previous phones.

Random luck? I doubt it, all of them are from 3 different carriers, all of them different variants, like I mentioned different usage, only thing in common, they gave them to me so I could do the initial setup as I pleased, so in ALL of them I did a Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe data/factory reset before setting them up and then applied all my tweaks, like removing all Carrier bloatware, disabling and uninstalling unneeded services and apps on by default, the more important one, turning off Location History until Google come back to its senses and allow separate settings for Location History and Reporting ( I can bet is the number 1 cause for drain right now for a lot of folks).

So here you have it, exception?, well if you count 9 out of 9 exception, then, whatever you think, but I still see some new threads created today complaining about WiFi and location drain, that has been discussed for the past 3.5 months and suggestions have been given dozens of times and still people don't search, don't read or are simply stubborn saying that they don't need to do tweaks to their phones because they shouldn't, whatever then.

For those other people that have followed the suggestions and tweaks and still have battery issues, sorry, but like I've said since the first day, you may have have a rogue app causing it, a defective battery or phone that won't get fixed no matter what you do, you had an option within the first 14 days to get a new one from your carrier, now your only option is try to look for warranty, or give up and try a new one, but just in case you haven't noticed, Lollipop has screwed ALL OEMs, don't think this is only an S6 or Samsung issue, cell standby drain is affecting all OEMs at random, some devices show the issue others don't. In my case, if I leave WiFi calling on (T-Mobile), it begins to affect my phone, so what did I do? I just turned it off until I need it, so far, in 3.5 months, I haven't used it not even once.

Again, you can call me the exception but besides my 9 out of 9 exceptions that I have personally set, there are a lot of users on this and other forums that were ready to do the "optimization" in our factory heavy loaded devices and they have very good to great battery life, so that should tell you something.

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I wish the active was available in Australia

Razza, check Telstra LTE, H+ and 4g bands, and see if the ones you are mainly using are part of the active bands, if so, you can get one from eBay or Swappa, if they are willing to ship to Australia, and just Unlock it and use it on Telstra.

Check SignalCheck Lite and LTE Discovery from the Play Store, they can tell you the specific band (s) you use, that will give you a clearer idea.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Then call it 9 exceptions, as I have set 9 already (3 mine are the other 6 for friends and family) and all of them have great battery life, not the same as everybody is different and use the same different, but according to each of them and their usage, the phone have been great since day 1 with its battery, all of them comparing with previous phones.

Random luck? I doubt it, all of them are from 3 different carriers, all of them different variants, like I mentioned different usage, only thing in common, they gave them to me so I could do mthe initial setup as I pleased, so in ALL of them I did a Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe data/factory reset before setting them up and then applied all my tweaks, like removing all
Carrier bloatware, disabling and uninstalling unneeded services and apps on by default, the more important one, turning off Location History until Google come back to its senses and allow separate settings for Location History and Reporting ( I can bet is the number 1 cause for drain right now for a lot of folks).

So here you have it, exception?, well if you count 9 out of 9 exception then, whatever you think then but I still see some new threads crearse today complaining about WiFi and location drain, that has been discussed for the past 3.5 months and suggestions have been given dozens of times and still people don't search, don't read our simply are stubborn saying that they don't need to do tweaks to their phones because they shouldn't, whatever then.

For those other people that have followed the suggestions and tweaks and still have battery issues, sorry, but like I've said since the first day, you may have have a rogue app causing it, a defective battery or phone that won't get fixed no matter what you do, you had an option within the first 14 days to get a new one from your carrier, now your only option is try to look for warranty, or give up and try a new one, but just in case you haven't noticed, Lollipop has screwed ALL OEMs, don't think this is only an S6 or Samsung issue, cell standby drain is affecting all OEMs at random, some devices show the issue others don't. In my case, if I leave WiFi calling on (T-Mobile), it begins to affect my phone, so what did I do, just turn it off until I need it, so far, in 3.5 months, I haven't used it not even once.

Again, you can call me the exception but besides my 9 out of 9 exceptions that I have personally set, there are a lot of users on this and other forms that were ready to do the "optimization" in our factory heavy loaded devices and they have very good to great battery life, so that should tell you something.

If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have the battery life that I do. I was only getting 3.5-4 hours of screen on time. I followed all of your instructions to the letter and never see below five hours on a charge anymore

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
My issue with standby battery drain has been solved. It's the WiFi, pure and simple. I've done all of erasat's tweaks yet still was getting 3%+ of drain hourly on standby. Today, before I took it off the charger at 8am, I turned off WiFi completely.

I'm typing this now at 10pm and I have 84% still. Very light use today, but did use spotify/Bluetooth on a 1 hour walk.

I suppose I'll just have WiFi on when charging so it can get any app updates it needs. I'm not a huge data user during the day so my 10gb plan on VZW should be sufficient.

Yes, same for me. WiFi kills the battery

dreaming of electric sheep

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
How come my battery barely drains when on wifi but as soon as I turn it off my phone drains like no tomorrow x.x

tbgjlb

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Great to see all the help and advice . forgive me but can someone point me in the direction of the erasat optimisations .

Status
Not open for further replies.