Is it worth the cost: Nova Prime

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
lol, seriously ... I get living on a fixed income, but to bring that up when you're talking about a $600+ device seems kinda ridiculous! get that rewards app, you'll have $5 in a month

Posted via the Android Central App

I didn't pay $600 for the phone. Once the contract is up I will have only paid $96 for it all up...

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
What are you talking about? It doesn't "add up to $600". If I pay $4 for 24 months that's $96 for the phone all up. I'm on a 24 month contract with Telstra and $4 is added on each month on the contract for my phone

Thanks for the suggestion though

I understand that it's an additional $4 per month. what is that in addition to though?

for instance, if your total bill was $45 per month and now it's $49 per month, well that could mean $15 of that $45 was going towards whatever phone you previously had. now it could be that $19 is going toward it.

these phone companies are clever, and I suspect you're paying a lot more for that S6 than $96.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I understand that it's an additional $4 per month. what is that in addition to though?

for instance, if your total bill was $45 per month and now it's $49 per month, well that could mean $15 of that $45 was going towards whatever phone you previously had. now it could be that $19 is going toward it.

these phone companies are clever, and I suspect you're paying a lot more for that S6 than $96.

But all contracts cost the exact same price regardless of which phone you go with except for that $4. I could be paying $135 a month for my S6 or $135 a month for a cheaper phone". Either way a phone is a bit more expected to be paid for than an app which is why I wanted people's opinions

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...er.prime&feature=search_result&token=iIiFZ5m6

You have probably already seen this link. I guess the issue is if the features are worth the price to you. If Nova is working well for you, then stick with it and don't upgrade to Nova Prime. Given your situation, I can see why you wanted to get opinions. Here in the US, the carriers have different ways of pricing devices and some will pay full retail instead of upgrading via two year extensions or installment plans over 24 or 36 months.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
But all contracts cost the exact same price regardless of which phone you go with except for that $4. I could be paying $135 a month for my S6 or $135 a month for a cheaper phone". Either way a phone is a bit more expected to be paid for than an app which is why I wanted people's opinions

gotcha, as JCP pointed out things are a bit different in the US so that's my misunderstanding. as per your original question, I use nova prime on my S4 and think it's worth every penny. I've used action launcher and tried others, but always come back to nova. personally, I like keeping my phone looking like stock, and it definitely makes TW manageable. I would imagine even more so on the S6 since TW is much more toned down. good luck!

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
So I just downloaded Nova Prime. It'll be my first time using a 3rd party launcher. I've only used Sense in the past. Any good pointers, tips, add-ons to give?

Here are some tips

1. Icon Pack get 'Glim'
2. Gestures are the best feature, set it up so it makes sense to you. I have double swipe down for app draw and double tap for Google search, this allowed me to remove the search bar and the app draw button.
3. Download Tesla unread and activate it in Nova.
4. Turn off icon app names

dreaming of electric sheep

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Here are some tips

1. Icon Pack get 'Glim'
2. Gestures are the best feature, set it up so it makes sense to you. I have double swipe down for app draw and double tap for Google search, this allowed me to remove the search bar and the app draw button.

I've been looking at icon packs. I think I wanna try Rondo.
I haven't set up any of the gesture features yet.
Do you know if the tesla unread badges work for Textra?
I had the icon app names turned off in Sense, but haven't done it in Nova yet until I get them organized again. It's kinda driving me crazy not having my app drawer organized into folders like I used to have them. Just haven't had the time yet.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Ok I took the plunge and got prime. So far my favorite features are ability to change icon size, additional transitions, gestures (swipe down for notification window...win!) And badges. Very cool, although I didn't hate TW this definitely better.

Where do you get these icon packs everyone speaks of? Don't see an option in settings. And hypothetically if I want to go back to TW temporarily how do l do it? Already set home button as Nova always.

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Search the Google Play store for icon pack and you are bound to find something. There are lots of them so be prepared for marathon window shopping.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok I took the plunge and got prime. So far my favorite features are ability to change icon size, additional transitions, gestures (swipe down for notification window...win!) And badges. Very cool, although I didn't hate TW this definitely better.

Where do you get these icon packs everyone speaks of? Don't see an option in settings. And hypothetically if I want to go back to TW temporarily how do l do it? Already set home button as Nova always.

^^What he said.

For going back to TouchWiz go to Nova settings and you have Select Home option, there you select the one you want.

Last edited:

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Where do you get these icon packs everyone speaks of? Don't see an option in settings.

You can download scores of them from the Play Store. Many have free versions, others are paid -- just double check that they're compatible with Nova, which most are. You install them separately, and after doing so you'll have the option change between packs under Look & feel in Nova's settings:

icons.png

Popular packs include Moonshine, Rondo, Cryten, Adastra and the like. Rotox is my standby. (Screenshot)

I sometimes use Phonearena's Best new icons pack for Android to track new releases, there are tons of decent packs featured in their ongoing series, with lots of pictures.

And hypothetically if I want to go back to TW temporarily how do l do it? Already set home button as Nova always.

You can change the default home back to TW at any time at the bottom of the Nova settings menu (Select default home).

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
You can download scores of them from the Play Store. Many have free versions, others are paid -- just double check that they're compatible with Nova, which most are. You install them separately, and after doing so you'll have the option change between packs under Look & feel in Nova's settings:

View attachment 189876

Popular packs include Moonshine, Rondo, Cryten, Adastra and the like. Rotox is my standby. (Screenshot)

I sometimes use Phonearena's Best new icons pack for Android to track new releases, there are tons of decent packs featured in their ongoing series, with lots of pictures.

You can change the default home back to TW at any time at the bottom of the Nova settings menu (Select default home).

Those Rotox icons are nice. I hadn't seen those in the Play Store yet.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Here are some tips

1. Icon Pack get 'Glim'

Get the paid version of Glim. stealthychief icon packs are different as are gseth icon packs, try a lot of different icon packs. Look for ones that have been updated recently and are updated often. Don't be afraid to request icons. Look for ones that handle unthemed icons well and that have a good number of icons. Most of my icon packs are paid ones.

One great thing about Nova is that you can also increase the homescreens and the dock icon size to 110% to 115%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20