my son has droppped my samsung s6 in our fish tank this morning and ive put it in rice all day but still seems not work
    07-28-2015 01:12 AM
    Electronics and water don't mix. You could try searching an online store for a water damaged phone repair kit. There are bags that you put your device into and manufacturers claim they work. However, it's not only the water that's the problem, but also any impurities in it.
    07-30-2015 12:55 AM
    Agreed. There is also the method of going to the store and buying 95% alcohol (isopropyl?) and immersing your phone in it. The alcohol doesn't causing any kind of shorting and dries out any water. The damage might already be done though. I have had some luck with just opening up a water submersed phone and changing the battery. Phone came back working but it wouldn't attach to the networks.
    07-30-2015 12:58 AM
    Please see this tutorial from Ambassador Rukbat. Hopefully it will help, but it might be that your device is irreparably damaged.
    07-30-2015 01:06 AM
    I was thrown into a pool with an S6 and did the rice thing too. It didn't work at the time. Best I could get was the notification light and vibration letting me know it was getting power. BUT......

5 days later I tried powering it back on just for fun and it worked like new. Screen came on, sound and vibration worked, and my son has been using it for the past month with no problems.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-30-2015 04:53 AM
    Good that it's working again, Von.
    07-30-2015 08:37 AM
    Agreed. There is also the method of going to the store and buying 95% alcohol (isopropyl?) and immersing your phone in it. The alcohol doesn't causing any kind of shorting and dries out any water. The damage might already be done though. I have had some luck with just opening up a water submersed phone and changing the battery. Phone came back working but it wouldn't attach to the networks.
    Do you have a source for this? I have never heard of this method
    07-30-2015 09:26 AM
    I was thrown into a pool with an S6 and did the rice thing too. It didn't work at the time. Best I could get was the notification light and vibration letting me know it was getting power. BUT......

5 days later I tried powering it back on just for fun and it worked like new. Screen came on, sound and vibration worked, and my son has been using it for the past month with no problems.

Good news
    It seems the water had to fully dry inside the phone for it to start working again
    07-30-2015 09:27 AM
    I dropped mine into a glass of water I had no rice in at the the time, so left it off on the radiator for a few hours.. It wouldn't turn on so I left it off for 3 days and I was. Convinced it was dead, I tried it and now it works like new only thing is when I use my headphones every now and then it goes a little muffled.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    07-30-2015 01:35 PM
    Rice works. Baggies work. Alcohol works. But the biggest thing that works is one of those options and TIME. Patients is a virtue here. I'm not talking hours. Talking days. It takes days to dry out water.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-02-2015 04:56 PM