Love my S6 but not happy with battery or lag.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Nova launcher does not fix the lag. I've had my s6 since april and didn't have any more serious lag issues until the past couple of months. Now I have to reboot this thing more often than I'd like.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
a user should not have to go through that much effort to get better battery life. I will go clean when 5.1.1 is released and just use the quick charger during the day if wifi at work doesn't help.

That is "effort"?

The simple fact that when on any phone service strength matters and will drain your battery fast when it's poor. The same can be said with apps that can constantly drain your battery (otherwise also known as rogue apps.)

A simple check to see just how good your service is when at work is not what I would call "effort", not when it only takes 3 seconds of your life to figure out.

As for Facebook. It has been well known for years that social media apps with constant updates or messages will drain your battery fast. While I feel that the app may need some improvements, it will never be conservative on battery life as you are asking it to do things that will always drain your battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
That is "effort"?

The simple fact that when on any phone service strength matters and will drain your battery fast when it's poor. The same can be said with apps that can constantly drain your battery (otherwise also known as rogue apps.)

A simple check to see just how good your service is when at work is not what I would call "effort", not when it only takes 3 seconds of your life to figure out.

As for Facebook. It has been well known for years that social media apps with constant updates or messages will drain your battery fast. While I feel that the app may need some improvements, it will never be conservative on battery life as you are asking it to do things that will always drain your battery.

I am on wifi at work now and have been since I got here. It is better. My comment about the effort was not directed and turning on wifi at work but the overall effort to tweak the phone and disable as much as I have had to in order improve battery life. I do not like to use wifi at work because they throttle network and lock it down.

I do like alot of things about the phone but battery life is a struggle. I will just use the quick charger during the day and not stress over it. Thanks for your suggestions.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think people realize what they ask of phones these days. I understand why you would rather use mobile data over WiFi at work.

I do however think it is lazy if people are not willing to setup a device that's going to work for the in the best way possible. I'm sure the avg user has several things turned on that they don't use and probably don't realize it's turned on. I wished android made you go through all of the settings upon activation.

Plus there is also a few bugs known that affects all lollipop devices and not only the s6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't think people realize what they ask of phones these days. I understand why you would rather use mobile data over WiFi at work.

I do however think it is lazy if people are not willing to setup a device that's going to work for the in the best way possible. I'm sure the avg user has several things turned on that they don't use and probably don't realize it's turned on. I wished android made you go through all of the settings upon activation.

Plus there is also a few bugs known that affects all lollipop devices and not only the s6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The wireless didn't make a huge difference by any stretch. Samsung should have added a larger battery which I think everyone agrees with. I also agree that some of it is Lollipop and Samsung is responsible to push it to the carriers who then send it to the users. Unfortunately we the users have spent a lot on the phone and we all expect solid performance. The quick charge makes it easier to deal with and I sit at a desk and will just plug it in during the day. It's not a major issue just irritating.

Thanks

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I am on wifi at work now and have been since I got here. It is better. My comment about the effort was not directed and turning on wifi at work but the overall effort to tweak the phone and disable as much as I have had to in order improve battery life. I do not like to use wifi at work because they throttle network and lock it down.

I do like alot of things about the phone but battery life is a struggle. I will just use the quick charger during the day and not stress over it. Thanks for your suggestions.

I totally agree and understand your frustration about tweaking or turning off features that you'll never use to get better battery life. But the flip of this is to then not buy a phone with such features such as a phone like the nexus 6. But then, even with a phone that has limited or no extra features, you would still likely have to tweak a setting or two if you want some extra battery life.

My point is that untweaked, my S6 gets 4 to 5 hours of SoT depending on how bright I need the screen to be. (again, that's with everything turned on max and even some things turned on that wasn't directly out of the box.)

Tweaked, I lose nothing or no features. But yet now I get 5.5 to over 6 hours of SoT. (again, mostly due to screen brightness and/or how much I'm using auto brightness)

Since I use my phones a lot, I use multiple wireless chargers to keep them topped up. Far better for me than the quick charger as my phone is now never below 50% at any moment of the day or night.

Posted via the zenfone 2

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree and understand your frustration about tweaking or turning off features that you'll never use to get better battery life. But the flip of this is to then not buy a phone with such features such as a phone like the nexus 6. But then, even with a phone that has limited or no extra features, you would still likely have to tweak a setting or two if you want some extra battery life.

My point is that untweaked, my S6 gets 4 to 5 hours of SoT depending on how bright I need the screen to be. (again, that's with everything turned on max and even some things turned on that wasn't directly out of the box.)

Tweaked, I lose nothing or no features. But yet now I get 5.5 to over 6 hours of SoT. (again, mostly due to screen brightness and/or how much I'm using auto brightness)

Since I use my phones a lot, I use multiple wireless chargers to keep them topped up. Far better for me than the quick charger as my phone is now never below 50% at any moment of the day or night.

Posted via the zenfone 2

My SOT is only aboout 3 hours 3 minutes or so.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well I tested my theory on what ails the S6 and it turned out I was correct in my hypothesis. I brought an international S6 Duos SM-920FD dual sim version since I like dual sim phones and it was a night and day difference. My theory was that the carrier enhancements, apps, and bloatware modifications that are baked into the S6 with U.S. carriers is what makes the phones so bad. My clean international unlocked phone is not only faster on stock but the battery life is astoundingly better. This was just unreal being a dual sim phone and puts the carrier branded ones here in the U.S. to shame. Only my S6 Active has better battery life in the S6 family. Lollipop has some faults but the extra modifications made to satisfy these stupid carriers need to not become dumb pipes is indeed what makes the experience so bad with a carrier branded model.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Well I tested my theory on what ails the S6 and it turned out I was correct in my hypothesis. I brought an international S6 Duos SM-920FD dual sim version since I like dual sim phones and it was a night and day difference. My theory was that the carrier enhancements, apps, and bloatware modifications that are baked into the S6 with U.S. carriers is what makes the phones so bad. My clean international unlocked phone is not only faster on stock but the battery life is astoundingly better. This was just unreal being a dual sim phone and puts the carrier branded ones here in the U.S. to shame. Only my S6 Active has better battery life in the S6 family. Lollipop has some faults but the extra modifications made to satisfy these stupid carriers need to not become dumb pipes is indeed what makes the experience so bad with a carrier branded model.

There are many reasons why poor battery life can happen when it comes to any phone. But you're right. Some carriers have destroyed battery life for their S6 such as T-Mobile and their wifi calling software.

In your case, you may have had a broken phone and not even noticed. But what ever the real reason that your last phone was garbage, I glad you're new one is working fine.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
There are many reasons why poor battery life can happen when it comes to any phone. But you're right. Some carriers have destroyed battery life for their S6 such as T-Mobile and their wifi calling software.

In your case, you may have had a broken phone and not even noticed. But what ever the real reason that your last phone was garbage, I glad you're new one is working fine.

Might have been a bad phone twice from at&t and t-mobile. But I also think this need for them to tinker and have changes made to the phones just so they can be sold on their network is a design to make your phone run like crap in the long run so you will stay on their upgrade cycle IMO. The added carrier apps, the so called enhancements that degrade service, to needing the firmware customized for no other reason than to say they need to do it for the users experience to be enhanced. It makes perfect since if you think about it for a minute that somehow the updates come from Google not the best but decent. Then once it goes through that carrier certification and gets all this stuff added than it is a buggy phone damaging update.

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
You either got a broken phone or your service is terrible in your area (or your screen brightness is at max all day). I'm on AT&T as well. Your numbers are not normal.

I am around 102 dBm 38 asu at home and probably close to that at work. I am on AT&T. I don't think the phone is defective but it could be. I do work inside an office building and have tried the location with GPS on and off, seems better with GPS on. I am waiting for 5.1.1 and will go clean. I do text a lot and that could be a large factor also I can charge it fast enough. I may call AT&T support tomorrow and see what they say. I will not rule out a defective phone.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I am around 102 dBm 38 asu at home and probably close to that at work. I am on AT&T. I don't think the phone is defective but it could be. I do work inside an office building and have tried the location with GPS on and off, seems better with GPS on. I am waiting for 5.1.1 and will go clean. I do text a lot and that could be a large factor also I can charge it fast enough. I may call AT&T support tomorrow and see what they say. I will not rule out a defective phone.

Location kills the battery. All settings and apps should have location turned off.

dreaming of electric sheep

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
As I said earlier in post I have tested both ways and it's better with the GPS on especially at work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

While I leave Location turned on, I do have history turned off. As for my apps, I don't allow location to be used other than waze or maps.

I'm also not sure what you mean that with GPS turned on that your battery life is better. That makes no sense if your apps are using location services and battery life is better.

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
While I leave Location turned on, I do have history turned off. As for my apps, I don't allow location to be used other than waze or maps.

I'm also not sure what you mean that with GPS turned on that your battery life is better. That makes no sense if your apps are using location services and battery life is better.

I have tried it with both wifi,mobile network and GPS and just wifi and mobile network and with the first battery seems a little better. Location history is off. I think part of it is my office building. I work in Uptown Charlotte and the window tinting. I had an HTC One M8 on Verizon and that got better battery life might have been Verizon vs AT&T in my work building. That is where I see a difference. Who knows :)

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have tried it with both wifi,mobile network and GPS and just wifi and mobile network and with the first battery seems a little better. Location history is off. I think part of it is my office building. I work in Uptown Charlotte and the window tinting. I had an HTC One M8 on Verizon and that got better battery life might have been Verizon vs AT&T in my work building. That is where I see a difference. Who knows :)

It's more lollipop vs KitKat, as lollipop is horrible towards battery life. I also have an m8 and my S6 beats my m8 easy in battery life when both are on lollipop.
(but it could also be your service like you said too.)

Posted via the zenfone 2

Wai Kong Pang

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
For some reason the "Always allowed scanning" option under WiFi setting is enabled. And I find it consume significant amount of the battery life. After turning that off the battery life seems get back to normal for me.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S6

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-30-13-36-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-30-13-36-49.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2015-08-30-13-36-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-30-13-36-54.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2015-09-01-11-08-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-01-11-08-30.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 9

Trending Posts