Bluetooth Is A Huge Battery Drain

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I was getting concerned about battery life recently after having been relatively happy with my phone's staying power. I thought it might be a rogue app or something like that. Then I remembered that a couple of days earlier I had turned on BT to link to my car as soon as I got in. No fuss, no muss. Well, that proved to be the problem. Tuned off BT and my phone was back to its old fighting shape. Easily gets me through a 14-16 hour day with 4-5 hours SOT. Sure, it's a bit of a pain to have to manually engage BT when I want to make a call from the car, but it's well worth it.

Maybe 5.1.2 will bring about (far) better BT power handling but I'm not holding my breath.

Just thought I'd pass this along as it makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes Bluetooth will always suck batteries. I ware a Smartwatch . It's not just a samsung thing want to get that out before the haters chime in . Bad wifi will also drain y our battery

Posted via the Android Central App

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Weird. I have BT on all the time, and on GSAM it barely registers. In general I get pretty good life out of my phone - around 4hrs of SOT/phone calls per 16hrs before I charge at about 15%

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Since my Last update my battery is much better . But blue tooth will hurt your battery. But hey I love waring my gear watch so what you gonna do

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I've stopped the automatic scan for new connections but leave BT running all the time. Figure I can do a manual scan when I know I am getting ready to link to another device. Anyhow, just leaving BT running without the scan doesn't seem to hurt. The default is the scan runs all the time.

OriginalMrC

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I have bluetooth on all the time and it has no effect on my battery. The battery drain may have been related in some way to the bluetooth being switched on but bluetooth in itself should at most have a negligible impact on battery life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech