Going on 3 weeks with my 128gb s6 galaxy replacement and this thing lags like crazy now. Even the camera opens way slower than even just a week ago.

Any helpful tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

08-05-2015 07:48 PM
    Only 3 weeks doesn't bode well for the types of things that usually cause issues like this... but here goes.

Most often lag is caused by system resources running low. There are a lot of ways this can happen, however honestly they usually take longer than 3 weeks to appear however each user is different so this can vary a lot. The simplest things to do for system resources are;
    Delete SMS and MMS messages from your device. Managing the number of messages, more MMS than SMS but every byte counts, can contribute to a slower device. Your app will try to make those messages easily available whenever called on and therefore may hold too many in your RAM. This is really dependent on your device and your app, and how well they play together, however reduction can show surprising results. There are several backup apps if there is anything you are worried about loosing.

Clear your caches. There are so many ways to do this but usually the simplest way is to restart the device. Often the caches are held too long because the app never gets the signal to dump them. Then it fills it quota for cache content and tries to overwrite it again and again. Powering off your device or restarting it using the menu option offered by the power button is the easiest way to clear most caches. You can however take a more hands on approach to this and manually clear them by going into your App Manager and selecting apps to clear caches in. The big 3 are Facebook, your email app, and your SMS app, so if you are going to manually do this make sure you hit those. There are also a ton of apps that will do this, a few words of advice though; Don't pick an app that will do this automatically based on time or anything like that. While they make it sound easy peasy apps like this can cost you battery power or memory power, maybe not but could. Simple is better and picking one that you have to press a button on is not such a bad thing.

Along the lines of the cache clearing also look at any stored emails on your device. Some apps store sent emails on the device by default. Again eating up these resources can slow things down. Try to change this setting and or deleting sent emails from your device.

This one is often over looked but what is installed on your device? Too many times we take for granted what we install on our devices not always realizing that it does matter. In your App Manager what is running? Anything that you didn't start or haven't used in a long time that seems out of place? Again the simple solution to this is restarting the device. It will often kill unwanted apps, some of which may return, but it is the simplest way to knock off the ones that aren't needed. Swiping them away from your multi tasking screen does just that, swipes them away, but doesn't shut them down always. Here is where I advise you to stay away from Anti apps. Anti virus, Memory Boosters, and Battery Savers. These are all apps of the past and have you ever heard of an Android virus? These apps can have the kind of adverse effects that you are experiencing. Memory apps can shutdown or hinder processes that are vital to smooth running, the same with Battery apps. And don't even get me started on Anti Virus apps. Huge scare tactics. Just saying. You're more likely to have a rouge app that slipped a permission by you so check your recently installed apps. Open your app drawer, in the upper left hand corner choose to sort by most recent and look at the last app you installed. Anything there that you could live without? Anything there you didn't read any of the 1 and 2 star reviews on. Always check the 1 and 2 star reviews. The good reviews can be faked, no one is going to fake a low rating review. Look for key words like, Slowed, Bogged, Lag, Pop-ups, Always Running... these are strong indicators that this may be one to pass on. Try uninstalling anything that looks out of place or that you really don't use and see if things clear up. Be sure to restart your device after an uninstall to clear out any cache it may have left.

Finally restart your device every few days. We are so glued to these things that we rarely take the time to power them down unless they die in our hands. It's simple takes just a few moments and does a world of good.

Golfdriver97 and Gray Area like this.
    08-05-2015 08:44 PM
    Weird, mine works flawlessly even though i have tons of Music, Videos and pics on mine.
    You may try these:

1. If you are using Power saving mode, disable it, as it is causing CPU to throttle down thus resulting to unexpected lags.

2. Try using Stock theme only, some themes use more resources than others.

3. Use Stock launcher

4. Check running apps in Application manager, see if any rogue apps are running.

5. Utilize Smart Manager app to clean ram/resource usage.

6. Do a software update / Wipe cache partition

7. If it still lags, backup your data then do a factory reset.
    Saros likes this.
    08-05-2015 11:48 PM
    I have no lag.
    08-06-2015 01:03 AM
    Zero lag here. Try these tips.

1. Get the app CCleaner (it clears the cache of all apps in 30 sec)

2. Install Nova Prime

3. The RAM usage is flaky on the S6. Whenever you finish with an apps close them. Close tabs in chrome.

4. Turn off power saver

5. Restart your phone every few weeks.

dreaming of electric sheep
    08-06-2015 02:36 AM
    What is nova prime? Also, I have clean sweep on my phone. Should I delete it??
    08-06-2015 07:50 AM
    What is nova prime? Also, I have clean sweep on my phone. Should I delete it??
    Nova Prime is a launcher

dreaming of electric sheep
    08-06-2015 08:46 AM
    I wouldn't use clean sweep or any other RAM cleaner, as I don't think they do anything other than use resources. As has been stated many times, the android system is self cleaning.
    I know from reading on here how everyone "hates" rebooting their S6. "Yuck" what a hassle. I mean I should never, ever have to reboot , right?..... I reboot every morning and have no lag or other issues. Takes 30 sec of my time. A possibly simple fix, try that and see if it helps.
    And try Nova Prime. I've never used touch wiz more than a couple of minutes. I think it takes away from the whole experience, but at least try nova and judge for yourself.
    08-06-2015 10:40 AM
    I don't have any lag on mine.

I would pretty much agree with engineeryajeeb's advice.
    08-06-2015 11:08 AM
    Pretty much no lag ever. If it does start happening a reboot sorts it out. Do none of you guys use smart manager? That comes bundled with your phone and can be used to monitor battery, ram, and clear your cache. No other cache cleaners needed (especially ones which spam you with ads etc.)

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-06-2015 11:35 AM
    Weird, mine works flawlessly even though i have tons of Music, Videos and pics on mine.
    Same here. As I've mentioned before, the only performance slowdown I've ever experienced is when opening up the Application Manager, and the list is still populating (and I'm certain that's to be expected). Other than that, smooth as glass since launch day.
    08-06-2015 02:14 PM
    Do none of you guys use smart manager? That comes bundled with your phone and can be used to monitor battery, ram, and clear your cache.
    AT&T unfortunately removed it and replaced it with "Usage Manager", which isn't quite the same.
    08-06-2015 02:20 PM
    I have a 64gb 6s Edge and I must agree mine has periods of terrible lag, even 10 to 15 seconds of complete unresponsiveness. I close all apps frequently, do the occasional cache clean and system cache wipe to no avail.

My previous androids did not lag this bad (except my Dell Streak 5) not even my Galaxy S4 which I was using previous to this!

Starting to wonder if there are bad S6's out there...
    Might resell it and go with the G4 I was going to go with, liked my G3. But I will take a bath with the price and I bought a Gear VR!
    08-06-2015 02:39 PM
    I've had my 32GB Regular S6 since launch and other than my camera module being messed up, it runs flawless. It never lags, the only time it lagged was when i was installing all my apps at initial launch.
    08-06-2015 03:13 PM
    Just a question.

Did any apps reload from the beginning after putting them to idle for a while and then using the Recent Apps screen to return to it?

If so, then it's probably the phone's pretty poor RAM Management.

I really loved the S6 Edge from my time using it, but that RAM Management has been a real P.I.T.A. From reloading even the simplest of apps from the beginning to having some home-screen redraws, it drove me kinda nuts. I thought this was a Lollipop issue, but after seeing the One M9 doing better on the same OS version and the 5.1 update doing nothing to help it, I think it's a Samsung-issue. Hope they fix it, because TouchWiz still isn't 90% lag-free for me. It's getting there, though.
    08-07-2015 04:45 AM
    do a hard reset
    08-07-2015 05:46 AM